Question for Ruth C

cindy1957

I always appreciate your comments and hope you can answer this question for me. We plan to book the Zuiderdam in the next couple of days for Alaska June 2011. Do you know if the F cabins on deck 4 F4121 oor F4122 have picture windows like the rest of the obstructed view cabins on that deck? That would make sense but CC posters are much more informed about specific ships than the Holland personel or my local TA. Thank you!

I appreciate your faith in my answers, but am sorry to say that I don't know the answer to this question. I know that when I had an obstructed view cabin on the Noordam, there were wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling windows in it. The other Vista cabins are the same.

I would have expected the F-category cabins to have the same set-up, but noticed the sketch on the deckplans. If that is accurate for that deck, the bed is in front of the window, so I would not expect it to be the full wall of glass.

Note I said "If" the sketch is accurate. I don't know if it is accurate for that deck or not.

Perhaps someone else knows for sure? Have you checked Joanie's website to see if there are photos? Check all the Vista and Signature class ships, as they are very, very similar.

I checked Joanie's site last night when this was posted, hoping to find a picture for the OP.

No cat "F" deck 4 pix yet for any of Vista/Signature ships.

Yep, lack of photos and info for the F cat on Deck 4 and did not want to jump in and post incorrectly, so I did not answer the op either....

I am so sorry Cindy that I, RuthC and fannish cannot answer you:(

Joanie

I just go off the phone with a HAL booking agent. She informed me after putting me on hold for quite a while that there were no none nada obstructed ocean view cabins with windows larger than the standard size on the main deck. Have I lost my mind or didn't I see pictures of those on Vista class ships?

I just go off the phone with a HAL booking agent. She informed me after putting me on hold for quite a while that there were no none nada obstructed ocean view cabins with windows larger than the standard size on the main deck. Have I lost my mind or didn't I see pictures of those on Vista class ships?

You have not lost your mind Cindy. You have to remember one important fact about the typical HAL rep, they generally have never been on a HAL ship before and can only go by what they show in their inventory.

For an example, when we go to the HAL site to look at staterooms, what do we see?? The STANDARD view of a typical HAL stateroom. NOT the actual stateroom or category. So while we (Cruise Critic members) know tha these staterooms have different sized windows, the HAL reps can only go by what they have listed in their computers, not knowing any differently.... Hope that makes sense...

Joanie

I was in a category "F" cabin on the Oosterdam earlier this month (4122) and we had the floor-to-ceiling window that essentially was a sliding door without being able to open it. When I walked around the promenade deck (deck 3), all the 'obstructed' view windows were this variety - it was particularly evident when the let down the lifeboats to act as tenders that this was the case for all rooms on this deck.

We had a similar cabin on the Nordam three years ago, and so I'd suggest that they are all alike.

I was in a category "F" cabin on the Oosterdam earlier this month (4122) and we had the floor-to-ceiling window that essentially was a sliding door without being able to open it. When I walked around the promenade deck (deck 3), all the 'obstructed' view windows were this variety - it was particularly evident when the let down the lifeboats to act as tenders that this was the case for all rooms on this deck.

We had a similar cabin on the Nordam three years ago, and so I'd suggest that they are all alike.

Would you have any photos of this F category on Deck 4 on either the Oosterdam and/or Noordam??

Joanie

I just go off the phone with a HAL booking agent. She informed me after putting me on hold for quite a while that there were no none nada obstructed ocean view cabins with windows larger than the standard size on the MAIN deck. Have I lost my mind or didn't I see pictures of those on Vista class ships?

Italics, bold, caps are mine.

Could this be deck confusion? Deck 1 is main deck on the Vistas, and there truly are no obstructed view cabins there. Upper promenade deck - deck 4 - is where the obstructed/partly obstructed cabins are located, along with that intriguing pair of cat "F" unobstructed cabins.

No confusion for me.... I know the obstructed view cabins are on deck 4 with a pair of F cabins on the end. I really appreciate the collaboration here! What is the saying.... you can get somewhere faster alone but better with some help!

but if I recall correctly, the Zuiderdam and Westerdam are sister ships?

Essentially, yes, along with the Noordam and Oosterdam. There are some minimal differences among the four ships, but they are all sisters.

• 3 months later...

While not a definitive answer, this information may help: we recently booked F4122 on Noordam from the Future Cruise Director on an HAL Alaskan cruise. This gentleman claimed to have personally just sailed on a Noordam transatlantic in this very cabin and told us that it has the same floor-to-ceiling window as the other obstructed view cabins on the same deck, but since it is aft of the last life boat, the view is almost entirely un-obstructed. This for the lower rate obstructed view price.

Let's hope he was right!

I hope this information helps to confirm everyone's hopes and suspicions about the window size, but until we have a first hand report (which I'll be happy to provide after my cruise in Jan 2012...), or photos of the actual cabin, I suppose it will have to be good enough.

Happy cruising!

... it has the same floor-to-ceiling window as the other obstructed view cabins on the same deck, but since it is aft of the last life boat, the view is almost entirely un-obstructed.
IIRC it was DutchByAssociation that called these two F cabins "hidden gems" because of the large windows:

attachment.php?attachmentid=183653&d=1297021178

DSCN0782.jpg.277ce4eb96a9fb5a918342959461c7df.jpg

At this point we have F4121 booked on the Zuiderdam for June 25 2011. I am dreaming about watching the glaciers as I float by from the comfort of my cabin. Will give a report when we come back. The picture from Dutch By Association looks wonderful.

The picture from Dutch By Association looks wonderful.
If you mean the pic in my last post, that's mine. :) But please, if you're at glaciers, get out of your cabin and get outside on a forward deck where you can hear them cracking! :)

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this info. We just booked the F4121 cabin on the Noordam for the Southern Caribbean Seafearer itinerary in February 2012.

Does this mean that our window will be one of those with floor to ceiling windows? If so, this is fantastic. We are travelling with a 4 year-old child who is very active. So, we wanted to have a view, but not a balcony (due to the restless nature of my son). So, it is actually good that we can enjoy a large window but with a window that does not open.

Has anyone actually sailed on these cabins (F4121 or F4122) on the NOORDAM? If so, any suggestions or comments abbout the cabin will be welcome.

DrBlue: Yes, you will have floor to ceiling windows, no obstructions.

Last time I checked, no one has yet posted about a Vista class "F" on Joanie's site of HAL cabin photos.

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Noordam/index.html

However, your cabin should look just like the obstructed ones....except, you will have a view of the sea instead of a view of a lifeboat!

Since no one has given Joanie photos of one of these cabins, could you take some? Then send some to her after you get home? I know she'd appreciate it.

While I do not have photos of F 4121 or F 4122 on Noordam, I do have photos of F 4122 on Oosterdam, one of her sister ships (should be almost exactly the same) You can click here and then go almost to the bottom of the page to see the photos and read the description of it: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/Deck-4.html

Joanie

Hope this helps a little

Joanie

Thank you for this info. We just booked the F4121 cabin on the Noordam for the Southern Caribbean Seafearer itinerary in February 2012.

Does this mean that our window will be one of those with floor to ceiling windows? If so, this is fantastic. We are travelling with a 4 year-old child who is very active. So, we wanted to have a view, but not a balcony (due to the restless nature of my son). So, it is actually good that we can enjoy a large window but with a window that does not open.

Has anyone actually sailed on these cabins (F4121 or F4122) on the NOORDAM? If so, any suggestions or comments abbout the cabin will be welcome.

I have been in F4122 on the Oosterdam, the Nordam's sister ship last fall. My photos and comments are what Joanie is sending you to on her link.

It's a nice cabin, other than the sofa - our DD was 4.5 on the cruise, and we didn't have it pulled out- otherwise there is no room to get from the bed to the bathroom! Also have the room steward remove the coffee table - that too will give you more room. Be aware that one of the closets, the one closest to the door is shallower than the rest and cannot handle clothes being hung from hangers.

Having a tub is so great, especially for a youngster!

Chris

Archived