Cholera on Haiti

jo anne

As a matter of sheer common sense and the care of Passengers calls have to be suspended until the Cholera outbreak subsides.Wonder if RCCL will stand the costs of Medical onboard for people contacting Cho;era after visiting Labadee.Diseases of this kind can be life threatning for older people.

Please take a look at post #212 of this thread, paying special attention to the second paragraph of a direct response from the CDC regarding stopping at Labadee.

As a matter of sheer common sense and the care of Passengers calls have to be suspended until the Cholera outbreak subsides.Wonder if RCCL will stand the costs of Medical onboard for people contacting Cho;era after visiting Labadee.Diseases of this kind can be life threatning for older people.

As a matter of sheer common sense not only do calls to Labadee not HAVE to be suspended but there is really no need to consider suspending them at this time.

Ocean Boy, you can save yourself effort by just ignoring the newbys who have joined the thread just to rant extreme nonsense. I would guess that those whose first post is on here have perhaps googled their topic of interest to find this thread, and then join in order to post their non-fact-based ideas here.

Rosey, I am quite certain that everyone on this thread appreciates your looking out for your elderly friend. However, since you chose to post here, it is not surprising that people can not figure out why you would be concerned about such an unlikely possibility, while at the same time ignoring the vastly greater risk of taking your vulnerable friend on aircraft travel plus confinement with ship passengers, all carrying much larger risks of illness and death than cholera.

Bill

Just an update, we have been coordinating sending medical supplies into Haiti to fight the Cholera Outbreak. (I am a volunteer for one of the disaster relief non-profits) The last 24 hours have shown the outbreak growth is slowing. It is too early to say it is being contained but it does look like the fight is going well. To that end RCCL has been hauling relief supplies into Labadee which has been amazingly helpful.

Just an update, we have been coordinating sending medical supplies into Haiti to fight the Cholera Outbreak. (I am a volunteer for one of the disaster relief non-profits) The last 24 hours have shown the outbreak growth is slowing. It is too early to say it is being contained but it does look like the fight is going well. To that end RCCL has been hauling relief supplies into Labadee which has been amazingly helpful.

I read that in the news as well and agree with you about it being too early to say. The article also said that the incubation period can be up to several weeks before someone shows the signs.

This is good to hear.

Just my short stint on a soapbox here... not directed to anyone in particular...

The Haitians are not stupid, they are poor. I'm sure most of them are aware that they should not drink contaminated water or eat contaminated food, but when you are very thirsty and very hungry and you are fortunate to have even one source of water or any food at all, what choice do you have?

Death by starvation is just as dead as death by cholera.

Short term relief efforts and education, as well as long term infrastructure support are the solution here, and those will hopefully stop the problem very soon, and then prevent it from happening again.

End of soapbox...

Theron

I am a physician who worked in less developed areas of the World, on military assignments. I was charged with treating personnel for whatever happened to them, and to prevent their illnesses whenever possible, and did.

Cholera can be contracted from consuming anything(food, drink)contaminated with the organism, but those conmmenting above apparently do not realize that the contamination source comes from other humans. If they touch something( furniture, serving utensils, etc.)touched or held by another person who is carrying the orgaism, they can get the disease. Cholera IS treatable, but its effects can be devastating on senior citizens.Even though all food and drink may come from the clean ship, the local residents may well be carriers. It would be best for cruise lines going to medically risky ports to advise their passengers of the risk, and permit them to cancel at no charge. At the least, passengers should take all precautions possible to avoid exposure, including not leaving the ship.

I am a physician who worked in less developed areas of the World, on military assignments. I was charged with treating personnel for whatever happened to them, and to prevent their illnesses whenever possible, and did.

Cholera can be contracted from consuming anything(food, drink)contaminated with the organism, but those conmmenting above apparently do not realize that the contamination source comes from other humans. If they touch something( furniture, serving utensils, etc.)touched or held by another person who is carrying the orgaism, they can get the disease. Cholera IS treatable, but its effects can be devastating on senior citizens.Even though all food and drink may come from the clean ship, the local residents may well be carriers. It would be best for cruise lines going to medically risky ports to advise their passengers of the risk, and permit them to cancel at no charge. At the least, passengers should take all precautions possible to avoid exposure, including not leaving the ship.

Ok, Doc. What do you say to visiting Puerto Rico, a part of the USA? Denque fever, is more or less bad for older passengers or even younger passengers or Cholera?

I think there is a lot more risk for the old people to be in a car accident when they catch a cab in the port of Miami than from getting Cholera in Labadee. But then I am just a statistics kind of guy and not trying to scare people.

jc<---- can think of a million ways to die, but chose instead to think of ways to live.:D

Since the CDC is currently involved in the situation in Haiti and they have indicated there is NO need for concern to travelers who stay in tourist areas, I think I'll defer to their expertise.

Your risk at Labadee will be no higher than it is in the states or on the ship. Cholera is not "Contagious" or is it something that most people need to concern themselves with when traveling. It tends to be in third world countries and places where there is poor sanitation. Labadee does not fit that description. The food and water used in Labadee for consumption comes from the ship. Also, if you read up on Cholera, people who are healthy or treated quickly with rehydration recover completely. It's also something you normally need to be exposed to more than from one drink of water. It takes millions of the bacteria to cause illness as a majority of them don't survive the trek through the digestive system.

BTW, nothing you eat in the states is 100% disease free either, so how do you handle that? I got food poisoning from a restaurant chain 3 miles from my home just 3 months ago.

Thanks for hitting the nail on the head with your post. No matter how many times someone posts factual information on a topic of this type there will still be "fear mongers" out there that will insist that Labadee will be affected by this.

Since the CDC is currently involved in the situation in Haiti and they have indicated there is NO need for concern to travelers who stay in tourist areas, I think I'll defer to their expertise.

This is not what I read on the CDC site. The CDC site specifically says that all unnecessary travel there should be avoided. That if you do intend to go to there you should have insurance.

Specifically on the OFFICIAL CDC site you will find this information along with drinking and eating directions:

"Advice for Travelers

At this time, CDC and the U.S. Department of State maintain travel warnings for Haiti. These warnings recommend that U.S. citizens avoid all nonessential travel to Haiti. "...........

........"Medical care facilities are strained with the high number of people who are ill. If you will be traveling to Haiti, CDC recommends that you purchase medical evacuation insurance in the event that you become ill while in Haiti."

That is a long way from saying there is no danger.

I would probably go but stay on the ship... since we usually spend our time there on the ship anyway. But I think that people who are concerned should be allowed to change to another sailing. What is the big deal? RCCL would still get their vacation dollars. I dare say that most people will travel there despite the outbreak.

This is a V A C A T I O N for heaven's sake and big $$$ are being paid to have a time for ENJOYMENT. No one should have to choose between being afraid for their health and losing their vacation dollars. Many people save years for this vacation.

Especially no one should be called a racist or a coward or even stupid for having these concerns. I'm afraid of heights so I wouldn't seek out the kind of VACATION that would make me face (what some would call) unreasonable fears. These fears, in your eyes, might be unreasonable but to others because of age, medical issues or even past experiences these fears could be very, very real and seriously impact their enjoyment of their vacation.

People should be given a choice. Why is that so hard to understand and appreciate? You want to go... go. If someone else feels stress or worry because of this disease then they should be allowed to change to another ship or sailing without a huge $$$ downside.

gail

First as you have read this a illness that transport by water and food boat brings the food a shore. Port of Prince is were the problem there is still 400000 people in camp with limited water and services. You have to understand the locals that work for rccl are not traveling to the captial. Second you have a better chance of getting sick on the boat than at the private island . An ex captian died of Legionares disease shortly after getting off los in 2009. look at the cases of norvior virus and food poisioning at the cdc web site. So if you are that worried about getting sick then shoud probley not cruise anyway. P.S if the worlds going to end in 2012 you might as well have fun anyway.

Everyone needs to make their own personal decision as to whether they feel comfortable getting off the ship in Labadee. What may seem to be irrational fears to some are very rational fears to others. Fear is a very powerful emotion and I respect someones decision either way. This thread has a lot of valuable information and I feel we should all respect each others opinions without resorting to personal attacks.

This is not what I read on the CDC site. The CDC site specifically says that all unnecessary travel there should be avoided. That if you do intend to go to there you should have insurance.

Specifically on the OFFICIAL CDC site you will find this information along with drinking and eating directions:

gail

That's the general information. If you go to post #212 on this thread, you'll find a specific response I got from an email I sent to CDC. As you'll see, the second paragraph states "Travelers who follow usual tourist itineraries and who observe food safety recommendations while in countries reporting cholera have virtually no risk. But, there are some simple rules you can follow to reduce your risk of getting the disease."

First of all, that is why we try to teach people to wash their hands before serving/eating food or using the bathroom. If everyone does that then the risk is quite minimal. Secondly, if someone were to get the organism on their hands by touching some utensil or furniture, as you state, then he/she would still have to get the organism from his/her hand into his/her mouth. So, don't touch your food with your hands and don't lick your fingers. Cholera does not invade through one's skin. Thirdly, it takes a certain quantity of the offending organism to enter one's body to contract the disease. We are all bombarded with bacteria and viruses daily. What amazing immune systems we humans have been given.

So, about the only thing that I agree with in your post is that passengers should take precautions to avoid exposure and that Cholera is treatable. But then, you knoiw how it is when you get two physicians in a room, they often agree on nothing.

Ok, Doc. What do you say to visiting Puerto Rico, a part of the USA? Denque fever, is more or less bad for older passengers or even younger passengers or Cholera?

I think there is a lot more risk for the old people to be in a car accident when they catch a cab in the port of Miami than from getting Cholera in Labadee. But then I am just a statistics kind of guy and not trying to scare people.

jc<---- can think of a million ways to die, but chose instead to think of ways to live.:D

More to the point, if some said to me... OK OB here are your options, you either have to go through having a bout of Cholera or Malaria. Take your choice. I'd go with the Cholera. So, since Malaria has been around Haiti for what is probably a good portion of modern history, it seems to me that the person that you quoted should be recommending that people be staying on the ship ANYTIME one happens to dock in Labadee. One might also want to avoid going out on deck while in port until they figure out how to make mosquitos swipe a seapass card before getting onto the ship.

We were just on Liberty of the Seas and went to Labadee last week and we found nothing to be different but to only have a great time. We are in our 70's and we feel as fine as always. We wash our hands continuously to be sure. We ate the food and fruit by hand and drank the famous Labadozzie? with no problems. And washed our hands back on the ship as always.

Hope this helps.

It is a beautiful beach and we hope you all enjoy it as much as we did. Praise to RCI for such an excellent time.

The choice to visit Labadee during this cholera crisis is a personal one. RCCL should to everything it can to permit its passengers that choice by offering refunds or credit to thoes that want to opt out. Simple, if you are concerned, don’t go. Put that decision in the hands of the passengers not the cruise line with a potential conflict of interest.

Just so you all are aware Labadee is an island off the north coast of Haiti. To get from the infected areas would mean a 12+ car ride plus boat ride to the island. I grew up in Haiti and my mom is still there helping with the relief efforts. To those of us who used to live there, Labadee isn't even "real" Haiti but a tourist only island.

At this point cruises going to Labadee will not be in any danger.

Just so you all are aware Labadee is an island off the north coast of Haiti. To get from the infected areas would mean a 12+ car ride plus boat ride to the island. I grew up in Haiti and my mom is still there helping with the relief efforts. To those of us who used to live there, Labadee isn't even "real" Haiti but a tourist only island.

Labadee is not an Island off Haiti.

Labadee is not an Island. It is a peninsula on the North coast of Haiti. It is not surrounded by water.

Here is a google link showing where it is.

I have learned to never believe at face value anything the government tells me, ie., asbestos was good, now its bad, lead paint was good, now its bad, then of course global warming. And I always try to remind myself that there are physicians that were last in their class and barely passed their certifications; some turn out working for the government. I hope they don't turn out to be my doctor.

Many of these agencies serve to perpetuate themselves by creating an apparent "need" for their services.

Gather as much info as you can, make your own decisions. IMO don't believe anything your read or hear as being the real facts or truth.

Then I guess that neither where you grew up, nor what your mother does, has much to do with your knowledge of geography. At least that is how it appears to those of us who DON'T live there.

Archived