If prices are going up...

NoWhiners

does this suggest that the cruise is selling well, thus increasing chances of a modest upgrade for a guarantee cabin?

We are cruising Panama canal next April, Westerdam out of FLL, 16 days. I have been checking prices to see if they would go down, so I could try and get a balcony for a little more than the GG (fully obstructed) guarantee we have now. Today for the first time, the prices changed but went up. Not a lot, about $170 pp for an H category, but still, it went up.

Does anyone have any experience with how this might relate to our chances for an upgrade? i don't expect anything and will be happy with what we booked. At the same time, I am sort of hoping we can get an unobstructed cabin (and in my wildest dreams don't imagine for a second we would get a balcony!!).

what do you all think?

Thanks for any thoughts

ML

That's good advice to book only a guarantee category where you can be happy if assigned ANY cabin in THAT category. We are waiting for a cabin assignment on our 3rd guarantee. We have yet to be upgraded on any cruise whether from a specifc cabin selection or on a guarantee. We will hit 3* level on our upcoming HAL cruise & are Celebrity elite level. We only book balcony guarantees on the smaller HAL ships like Zaandam & only book SS-SZ type guarantees on the larger ships as we feel there are no really "bad" cabins in those categories.... obviously, just our opinion. We've heard of many folks who have been blessed by the "upgrade fairy" but, so far, she has always passed us by. :confused: The only thing I think you can be fairly sure of about the price increase on your cruise is that it is selling quite well. Also, should it not sell out completely, HAL will offer discounted "upsell" deals to try selling out all cabins before they consider "free upgrades".... at least that's been our experience. Good luck with your cabin assignment & have a great cruise. We loved the Panama Canal both times we did it.

The current price for a cruise 6 months away doesn't help much with guessing guarantee assignments. If prices are higher than you paid, that probably reduces likelyhood of getting a higher category. The guarantee assignment fairy's criteria is a mystery. Price paid seems to usually be part of it. Other factors may include newbies, booking or linking two or more cabins and Mariner status. The main factor would be what is available.

My upgrade record hasn't changed with my mariner status. Booking with a TA, HAL direct or with a HAL PCC makes little or no difference in our assignmnets.

(I like booking guarantees. It is fun waiting for the assignment and guessing the category. We are flexible on cabins and have liked all our cabins. We've had everything from the same category to several categories higher. We've never gotten a huge free upgrade and don't expect that. We have had a couple of good paid upgrades.)

If prices are in fact going up, that to me would indicate that demand is higher than supply or ahead of prediction quotas od sales... less cabins available and more people wanting them. A sellers market.

This would seem is you are looking for an up-grade that it will not be happening. If everyhting is selling like hot cakes.. they are going to be looking for full fare paying customers not looking to cut profits by giving away stuff they cousl sell at , pardon the expression, "full boat list"

If you had 50 apples to sell and there were 60 customers lined up and one asskes if he can get 2 for 1 or a discount.... what would you do?

You have a guarranteed apple... dont expect to get to pick over for the best.....:rolleyes:

does this suggest that the cruise is selling well, thus increasing chances of a modest upgrade for a guarantee cabin?

We are cruising Panama canal next April, Westerdam out of FLL, 16 days. I have been checking prices to see if they would go down, so I could try and get a balcony for a little more than the GG (fully obstructed) guarantee we have now. Today for the first time, the prices changed but went up. Not a lot, about $170 pp for an H category, but still, it went up.

Does anyone have any experience with how this might relate to our chances for an upgrade? i don't expect anything and will be happy with what we booked. At the same time, I am sort of hoping we can get an unobstructed cabin (and in my wildest dreams don't imagine for a second we would get a balcony!!).

what do you all think?

Thanks for any thoughts

ML

Why not call HAL and see what the pricing is for the Veranda Sale. IF you are using a TA they could do it for you or you can call yourself and ask for pricing as if you were just thinking of booking.

You will have to keep in mind that it will require a new booking number and you will loose a number of things related to your first booking ie. dining assignment,excursions,indulgences etc.

Just something to think about.

Why not call HAL and see what the pricing is for the Veranda Sale. IF you are using a TA they could do it for you or you can call yourself and ask for pricing as if you were just thinking of booking.

You will have to keep in mind that it will require a new booking number and you will loose a number of things related to your first booking ie. dining assignment,excursions,indulgences etc.

Just something to think about.

Annemarie

thanks for taking the time to read my post and provide feedback. We will be totally happy with an obstructed OV and enjoy the suspense of waiting for the assignment. I have no expectations for any upgrade (which I think i sort of stated in my original post) but there is a lot of time between then and now (and there are 8 of us cruising together, almost all in different categories) so I am just collecting info to pass on.

I actually booked the cruise with a large warehouse membership club and have called every month to see if prices went down. So far, no luck, then today (or recently) prices went up. That made me wonder what was happening. other posters may be right that the cruise is selling well and there is no upgrade in our future, but i have read other posts that suggest that this may not be the case. I will call and check and also let them know about our being willing to buy an upsell/upgrade.

FYI, we have used this agency for our last 2 cruises and they have a great policy for "rebooking". You pay $25 for any changes and keep all your previously arranged details (cabin, dinner, excursions, etc. It works great. Last year we "rebooked" twice on an Alaska cruise--cost us $50 and we saved over $600 on cruise price!! Plus, their travel insurance is great and costs less than HAL and some other popular agencies.

So, I will continue to imagine what could happen but keep picturing a fully obstructed view cabin!!

Thanks again for your thoughts

ML

Archived