Carnival Ship's security

bodog402

With over 16 Carnival cruises under my belt, I have always wondered in the back of my head what type of security carnival offers to its guest regarding a possible hostage incident were a group of highly trained and heavily armed radicals overtakes the ship while out in the middle of the ocean and holds the crew for ransom ? Although I may be very wrong, but in my opinion, eliminating the ships’ top officers, accessing the bridge, eliminating all electronic communication and turning off all the electrical power on the ship would create total chaos and this may be all that is required in highjacking the ship and its passengers. I seriously doubt that the rent-a-cops on the ship would provide any assistance and Carnival’s public image would be destroyed to the point were Carnival would be forced into paying off the pirates. With all the ship highjacking that occurs around the world, I wouldn’t be surprise if some radical group doesn’t have plans on making money overtaking a cruise ship ?

I guess I'm not one to worry about such a remote chance. It's not like the majority of the cruises go by Somalia.

That would be like thinking the same thing when you board a plane, train, subway or large building.

I'll betcha that the security have a few more than a "rent-a-cop" on board. Then think of the Coast Guard that would be invited pretty quick. I think most would be smarter than that.

Cruise ships are 'soft targets' and I can assure you that such an eventuality has been considered.

They won't tell anyone if there are weapons on board (doubt it...) or what anti-piracy plans might entail (good move...) but I'm betting that boarding a cruise ship in an attempt to hijack it would be difficult.

Now, if I were sailing in the Gulf of Aden I'd be a lot more concerned...

:)

Security has said not even police can bring a weapon onboard (some police evidently have tried and had to leave their weapons behind). The main purpose of the scanning is to remove anything harmful. Not saying it couldnt be done, but thats why the xray security business .. not as some seem to think only to stop smuggling.

Security has said not even police can bring a weapon onboard (some police evidently have tried and had to leave their weapons behind). The main purpose of the scanning is to remove anything harmful. Not saying it couldnt be done, but thats why the xray security business .. not as some seem to think only to stop smuggling.

Agree with you sir if entering via an America port, but how about smuggling weapons onboard while the ship is visiting a small port in Latin America were security is very lax and were cargo can make its way onto the ship without screening.

That scenario could not happen in the Caribbean and other areas where cruise ships go.

It happens in certain parts of the world because the pirates have sanctuary in lawless nations... but there are no such places in the Caribbean.

If someone were so foolish as to try and take over a cruise ship, the US Navy and Coast Guard would be all over them in a heartbeat. The bad guys would be neutralized in short order.

With all the ship highjacking that occurs around the world, I wouldn’t be surprise if some radical group doesn’t have plans on making money overtaking a cruise ship ?
Smart pirates take cargo ships. Far fewer people to control, and full of cargo they can sell back to its owner, or to new buyers.

Why bother with the PIA of taking a ship with 3 to 5 thousand people on it?

That scenario could not happen in the Caribbean and other areas where cruise ships go.

It happens in certain parts of the world because the pirates have sanctuary in lawless nations... but there are no such places in the Caribbean.

If someone were so foolish as to try and take over a cruise ship, the US Navy and Coast Guard would be all over them in a heartbeat. The bad guys would be neutralized in short order.

Scenario; While a ship is in open waters, say 100 miles off of Colon, the armed radical groups takes over the ship, eliminates all communication, eliminates all power and immediately contacts Carnival corporation and informs them of what had just occurred. I believe that without firing a single round, the pirates will accomplish their goal and Carnival will pay-off the Pirates to avoid any negative publicity.

Scenario; While a ship is in open waters, say 100 miles off of Colon, the armed radical groups takes over the ship
How would this armed radical group board the ship without anybody seeing them coming?

Romulan cloaking device? :rolleyes:

Scenario; While a ship is in open waters, say 100 miles off of Colon, the armed radical groups takes over the ship, eliminates all communication, eliminates all power and immediately contacts Carnival corporation and informs them of what had just occurred. I believe that without firing a single round, the pirates will accomplish their goal and Carnival will pay-off the Pirates to avoid any negative publicity.

Unless they're armed with something pretty sizable they'd never make it to the bridge or engine room.

There's also the issue of being able to board the ship, a very difficult proposition as cruise ships are quite tall compared to cargo or container ships.

To tell you the truth, the possibility won't keep me up at night.

:)

How would this armed radical group board the ship without anybody seeing them coming?

VERY EASILY !

While in open waters, a small boat claiming to be distressed Cuban migrants

asking for help will immediately draw attention to the ship and while the distressed Cuban migrants are brought onto the ship, the door of opportunity opens for many potential scenarios !

VERY EASILY !

asking for help will immediately draw attention to the ship and while the distressed Cuban migrants are brought onto the ship, the door of opportunity opens for many potential scenarios !

They don't just pull up along side, open the doors on deck zero and haul them on board. They lower a boat to retrieve them. I'm sure that their intentions would become evident prior to arriving at the ship.

I believe that without firing a single round, the pirates will accomplish their goal and Carnival will pay-off the Pirates to avoid any negative publicity.

Nope - never going to happen. Panama is a very lawful nation. The canal is one of the most important cargo routes and one of the most heavily traveled in the world. You think for a minute there is not adequate security in the waters?

The town of Colon has its bad parts, but that does not mean that bad guys could get away with hijacking a ship.

The ship would be surrounded by Navy ships in a very short time, and the pirates would have nowhere to go.

Think about it... if the ransom were paid, how could the pirates possibly get away? In a submarine? The Navy has those, too.

With over 16 Carnival cruises under my belt, I have always wondered in the back of my head what type of security carnival offers to its guest regarding a possible hostage incident were a group of highly trained and heavily armed radicals overtakes the ship while out in the middle of the ocean and holds the crew for ransom ? Although I may be very wrong, but in my opinion, eliminating the ships’ top officers, accessing the bridge, eliminating all electronic communication and turning off all the electrical power on the ship would create total chaos and this may be all that is required in highjacking the ship and its passengers. I seriously doubt that the rent-a-cops on the ship would provide any assistance and Carnival’s public image would be destroyed to the point were Carnival would be forced into paying off the pirates. With all the ship highjacking that occurs around the world, I wouldn’t be surprise if some radical group doesn’t have plans on making money overtaking a cruise ship ?

When is the last time Carnival sailed around the horn of Africa? When is the last time a hijacking occurred in the Caribbean?

Cruise ships are not easy to board unless you have a dock under your feet. There have been a few attempts, but none have been successful yet.

I suppose it could happen someday, but so could a lot of other things I have no control over.

A small boatful of people is not going to overwhelm 1000 employees and 2000 passengers (on the smallest of Carnival ships). I think even the slackest ship's officer would notice if these 'immigrants' were heavily armed.

And what would a boatload of Cubans be doing 100 miles off Colon? Don't most of them head for Miami? :p

Nope - never going to happen. Panama is a very lawful nation. The canal is one of the most important cargo routes and one of the most heavily traveled in the world. You think for a minute there is not adequate security in the waters?

The town of Colon has its bad parts, but that does not mean that bad guys could get away with hijacking a ship.

The ship would be surrounded by Navy ships in a very short time, and the pirates would have nowhere to go.

Think about it... if the ransom were paid, how could the pirates possibly get away? In a submarine? The Navy has those, too.

Good point but please think outside the box. I never mentioned that those who live in Panama had anything to do with the Pirates but the Pirates would only use the location as a point of entry onto the ship. Remember, a few years ago, NOBODY thought that several US airlines would be highjacked simultaneously and cause such chaos.

OMG, that is one of the funniest responses ever:D

OP, I wouldn't lose any sleep over this idea - pretty sure we are safe in the Caribbean. Gulf of Aden, as Mach mentioned, that is a whole other can of worms though ... and cruiseships have a plan of action in that area.

A small boatful of people is not going to overwhelm 1000 employees and 2000 passengers (on the smallest of Carnival ships). I think even the slackest ship's officer would notice if these 'immigrants' were heavily armed.

And what would a boatload of Cubans be doing 100 miles off Colon? Don't most of them head for Miami? :p

Once entry is made by those claiming to be migrants or lost at sea or any other reason, an opportunity then presents itself for the armed group to force their way onto the ship. What if planted employees already working joins in and assist the Pirates by immediately taking over the ships communication, the ships electrical grid and bridge.

Once entry is made by those claiming to be migrants or lost at sea or any other reason, an opportunity then presents itself for the armed group to force their way onto the ship. What if planted employees already working joins in and assist the Pirates by immediately taking over the ships communication, the ships electrical grid and bridge.

Wow, you've really thought about all possibilities;) Ever thought of being a writer? Might work out for you!:D

VERY EASILY !

Have you ever seen a rescue at sea? I have. The ship stays a safe distance from the small boat. The ship sends its rescue boat out and the rescue boat is raised with the people in the boat. No sea level doors are every opened. Since the "door of opportunity" is never open the rest of your concern is not valid. Nonetheless, if it keeps you up at night - don't cruise.

There it is, a small boat at sea needing rescue. This is from the NCL Jade in February 2008. We are somewhere between Cartagena, Columbia and Grand Cayman. However, I don't believe the person being rescued was Cuban ...

IMG_4809.jpg

Here they are bringing the person back to the ship, so he can go to a hospital on Grand Cayman ...

IMG_4835.jpg

The rescue boat move along side the cruise ship, which, as you can see, is still moving ...

IMG_4837.jpg

The rescue boat is hooked back up to the mother ship ...

IMG_4839.jpg

And up they all go ...

IMG_4841.jpg

OP your what if questions remind me of the answer my drill instructor used to answer our what if questions.......what if the starship enterprise lands in the yard.....what he meant was highly unlikely and not worth the effort to think about. :D

First of all there are guns aboard the ship. Also there are hitech devices to keep the bad guys off the ship. For obvious reasons they do not let the general public know about it. Element of surprize and all. But IMHO opinion I think the main flaw in the plan is the get away. Where are they going to go? In Somalia they have a friendly situation ashore. That does not exist in the western hemisphere, except maybe in Venezuela. While I do believe that a small force could storm aboard in port, it is not as easy as it sounds. Most ports have screening before the ship. True we did not see the events of 911 coming, but we know about it now. I am sure every scenario has been explored. So while it is possible it is not plausable.

There are also 3000 cell phones on the ship. Im sure a few passengers will call for help from there cabin or balcony. I also Have a GPS that I take along on cruises that I use in my vehicle. It does give Lat Long. Can call with the ships position.

Archived