Croatia to Venice to join Marina-May 2011

rhohea

We are hoping to do some pre cruise travel through Croatia next May and want to know if any of the many experienced travellers/cruises from this board have travelled by ferry/boat/train from Croatia (either from Mali Losinj or Split) to Venice and if so how???

Do you have any websites that could help us with this. We have sourced a few but a lot of the inter Island etc boats/ferry services do not operate in May - they commence either later May of June.

Wanted to avoid flying if possible, for no other reason than seeing some of the islands/coast line.

Also, having never been to Croatia or Venice before we are on the lookout for nice/clean/air conditioned & centrally located but reasonably priced accomodation. Looking at approx 4 nights in Venice pre cruise.

Rhonda,

Way back in 1977 we drove down from Pula to Dubrovnik and flew home from there. So I can't really help. But it is true that you want to see that scenery. (Of course we were there before the "Troubles".)

I was going to suggest driving but that would take you way too long and you'd still need to get to Venice even if you drove all the way up to the Pula peninsula ...

Hope someone else can give you some PRACTICAL advice!!

I will say that we loved that trip. We would stop at a secluded beach on the road and take a swim. We'd spend the night for about $10 in a B&B. In those days just about everybody added on an extra bedroom or two for tourists, and breakfast MIGHT go so far as to include an egg ...

Mura

We were in a similar situation to yours this year.

We toured all the former Yugoslav republics before starting our cruise from Venice. We did some on our own, some with a land tour.

Our advantage was that we ended up in Zagreb from where we took an overnight sleeper train to Venice (very easy and convenient, if not luxurious).

I hope this helps some.

We were in a similar situation to yours this year.

We toured all the former Yugoslav republics before starting our cruise from Venice. We did some on our own, some with a land tour.

Our advantage was that we ended up in Zagreb from where we took an overnight sleeper train to Venice (very easy and convenient, if not luxurious).

I hope this helps some.

Thank you for your reply. Is it possible for you to email details of the land tour (company name or website) and sleeper train (website).

Did you pre book the train. How long did it take and do you remember the cost. Were the sleepers private/lockable and clean??? Did they have private shower/toilets? (In Australia they do).

Thanks for you time.

rhohea23@yahoo.com.au

Rhonda

Rhonda,

Way back in 1977 we drove down from Pula to Dubrovnik and flew home from there. So I can't really help. But it is true that you want to see that scenery. (Of course we were there before the "Troubles".)

I was going to suggest driving but that would take you way too long and you'd still need to get to Venice even if you drove all the way up to the Pula peninsula ...

Hope someone else can give you some PRACTICAL advice!!

I will say that we loved that trip. We would stop at a secluded beach on the road and take a swim. We'd spend the night for about $10 in a B&B. In those days just about everybody added on an extra bedroom or two for tourists, and breakfast MIGHT go so far as to include an egg ...

Mura

Wish we all had a $ for the number of times we could say "Way back in 1970's" - they were the best years - wish we could all do now what we did then. lol

Great to hear from you. What cruises do you have planned for the future.

Rhonda

Well, Rhonda, we aren't planning much right now because one of our cats was diagnosed with an incurable cancer shortly after we got home. He probably doesn't have much time left but there's no way of knowing so we just aren't making ANY plans for now.

We had booked earlier this year two Alaska cruises -- one for us on Regatta in mid-June and one on NCL leaving Seattle May 29th which was to be a treat for Howard's brother and sister-in-law. It looks now like they won't be going in which case we will cancel the NCL cruise (only 7 days as opposed to 14 on Regatta).

The fact is that we probably will have to cancel Regatta as well because when I booked it I forgot that we had plans for a road trip in the U.S. (from NY up to Maine and Quebec) with our Danish friends in June. Can't be both places at once ...

We are also booked on Marina in September for Jewels of the Aegean. Now that's a cruise that I've already cancelled twice, so ... who knows??!!

Good hearing from you!

Mura

Thank you for your reply. Is it possible for you to email details of the land tour (company name or website) and sleeper train (website).

Did you pre book the train. How long did it take and do you remember the cost. Were the sleepers private/lockable and clean??? Did they have private shower/toilets? (In Australia they do).

Thanks for you time.

rhohea23@yahoo.com.au

Rhonda

Rhonda,

I sent you an e-mail.

Paul

Rhonda,

I sent you an e-mail.

Paul

Thanks heaps Paul. DH had a quick look on his way out the door going to work this morning and said that looks good. Will email you if need any clarification. Thanks

Rhonda

Thanks heaps Paul. DH had a quick look on his way out the door going to work this morning and said that looks good. Will email you if need any clarification. Thanks

Rhonda

Rhonda,

You are welcome - I hope it helps.

Paul

• 2 months later...
The other way for you to get to Venice from Croatia is to take the overnight ferry from Split or Zadar to Italy/Ancona or Pescara and from there the trains are frequent to Venice. Ferries: BlueLine or Jadrolinija, easy to google the timetables.

Thank you for this info. Still have not booked anything to get from Croatia to Venice but will have to get on to it as it is now only a few months away and we can't wait. :eek:

Archived