Warning - Coffee on Carnival (blech!)

Katoo

I've read a few threads about the bad coffee. We were on Valor two years ago and I remembered thinking it wasn't great coffee, but it was drinkable.

I don't know if the coffee has changed, or if was different in two different ships, but the coffee on the Legend was terrible, and I found it almost impossible to drink it.

I started wondering if it was intentional to get passengers to buy from the specialty coffee shop.

I'm gonna take my own coffee and a press pot next time.

I know that I will be in the minority here, and I respect everyone else's opinion. I actually dont find it that bad. The coffee on the lido deck is just ok, I neither find it very good or that bad. I do like the coffee that comes with room service, and I also like the coffee in the MDR. And I have tried the coffee in the specialty cafe and dont like it, as it only comes in "dark roast" which I hate. Maybe Im just not a coffee connoisseur, and I admit, I only drink a cup or two in the am, maximum, but I dont find it all that bad. JMHO.:)

I know that I will be in the minority here, and I respect everyone else's opinion. I actually dont find it that bad. The coffee on the lido deck is just ok, I neither find it very good or that bad. I do like the coffee that comes with room service, and I also like the coffee in the MDR.:)

I agree with you :)

Barry

i found the coffee at the buffet to be unbearable! After considering how it tasted, i would bet that it is instant powdered coffee! However i really love the coffee in MDR, and will often drink several cups with dinner! On the last day of my last cruise, I discovered that you can have breakfast in the MDR provided you dont dress like a bum, and that the coffee is just as good as it is at dinner!

I actually carry around a tin of Interntional Flavors Coffee with me when I go down to breakfast if I'm going to the buffet and add a nice big tablespoon of that to my morning coffees. Yes, coffees (plural), adding this to them makes the coffee so much better that I can drink more than one cup. Especially on port days when the main dining room isn't open.

i found the coffee at the buffet to be unbearable! After considering how it tasted, i would bet that it is instant powdered coffee! However i really love the coffee in MDR, and will often drink several cups with dinner! On the last day of my last cruise, I discovered that you can have breakfast in the MDR provided you dont dress like a bum, and that the coffee is just as good as it is at dinner!

Actually, you can have breakfast there any morning, wearing almost anything just shy of nude.

Actually, you can have breakfast there any morning, wearing almost anything just shy of nude.

:) They (waiter) chased me out for wearing a sleeveless Tshirt! Told me that they enforce a dress code at all times in the MDR, Which i understood, as the non formal nights are pretty liberal! I returned 10 minutes later to join my part wearing a Kiss me I'm Irish T, and he said nothing to me! :)

I know that I will be in the minority here, and I respect everyone else's opinion. I actually dont find it that bad. The coffee on the lido deck is just ok, I neither find it very good or that bad. I do like the coffee that comes with room service, and I also like the coffee in the MDR. And I have tried the coffee in the specialty cafe and dont like it, as it only comes in "dark roast" which I hate. Maybe Im just not a coffee connoisseur, and I admit, I only drink a cup or two in the am, maximum, but I dont find it all that bad. JMHO.:)

I too agree. I LIKE the coffee in the dining room, and find the coffee out of the machines on the Lido deck O.K., but certainly not as good as the dining room coffee. Of course, I also think that Starbucks coffee SUCKS! :eek: Maybe I spent too much time in the Marine Corps! ;)

"SKY"

I don't quite understand why the coffee in the MDR is so much better than up top. It looked to me like the wait staff had the same type of beverage station there as the self serve ones in the buffet. Maybe putting it into a pot helps - like some wine benefits from decanting :confused:. Either way, the coffee on Lido is horrible, in the dining room not so bad.

Happy Sails,

Annette

I actually carry around a tin of Interntional Flavors Coffee with me when I go down to breakfast if I'm going to the buffet and add a nice big tablespoon of that to my morning coffees. Yes, coffees (plural), adding this to them makes the coffee so much better that I can drink more than one cup. Especially on port days when the main dining room isn't open.

The MDR is open for breakfast every day, even port days

I generally agree that the coffee on the Lido could be better. Last November the DW and I both thought the Lido coffee to be better than we remembered from past cruises. Not great but better.

We both are coffee nuts and pretty much keep a cup going all day. We do find the coffee from the coffee bar good. As Starbuck's lovers we have started taking the new Via singles on our cruises. Just a couple of carafes of hot water from room service and we are on our way

I'll give a different spin on this...

I agree that the Lido Coffee is not very tasty and I would rather "Treat" myself to a "Grande Americano" (a regular coffee) from the Coffee Shop.

But, The coffee that I buy is pretty damn good and short money, Usually less than a Dunkin Donuts coffee at home, and better than a Dunkins.

Last Years Cruise on the Dream, IIRC, a 16oz Grande was $2 and change.

Anyone is Welcome to correct or update me on the price of a Regular Coffee.

I always go for the Cappichino or Coffee in the MDR and it is different IMO.

The tactic worked on us. After two days we couldn't take the coffee on the Dream's Lido deck any longer. I was thinking about asking the dining room staff to wring their clean up rag into my cup in hopes to make the coffee taste better. We ponied up to the coffee bar. It was pretty good coffee.

Hi,

I think we will be taking a jar of instant Nescafe' coffee with us on our future cruises, along with a box of Turbo sugar and Splenda. We will just order a pot of hot water from room service.

I have noticed that when we ask for extra sugar and Splenda, we usually get only the single container of the sweeteners, not the additional amount we ask for. We love awakening and having coffee before going up to the Lido deck for breakfast in the a.m.

Archived