Warning - Coffee on Carnival (blech!)

Katoo

We have always thought that the coffee was horrible on the ships, but when Starbucks came out with the Coffee Via BAM!! Problem solved. Now we order two pitchers of hot water and problem solved. The coffee has IMO gotten progressively worse over the last year when the speciality coffee stations were introduced.

I generally agree that the coffee on the Lido could be better. Last November the DW and I both thought the Lido coffee to be better than we remembered from past cruises. Not great but better.

We both are coffee nuts and pretty much keep a cup going all day. We do find the coffee from the coffee bar good. As Starbuck's lovers we have started taking the new Via singles on our cruises. Just a couple of carafes of hot water from room service and we are on our way

How are the Via singles? Are they just as good (don't beat me please!) as the real deal at Starbucks coffee shops? I've debated on purchasing some to see how they are for this exact purpose, cruising, rather than pay for it at the Seattle's best or whatever it is.

We don't mind the coffee from room service, or the dining room, and one of the perks we love is the free capaccino in the MDR!!! It's good.

But I think if you really just can't tolerate the coffee on the ship try:

1. Via by starbucks, it's instant but really good although expensive.

2. a french press and your own coffee, you can order pots of hot water in the morning from room service or get your own on the Lido.

No one has to buy the specialty coffee, it can be gotten around.

Cheers, Carole

FYI

Be careful how much of that stuff you drink it has really bad for you ingredients that can lead to clogged arteries and heart attacks. Most especially the partially hydrogenated stuff.

Ingredients

Nondairy Creamer[partially Hydrogenated Coconut Oil, Corn Syrup Solids* Sodium Caseinate (From Milk), Dipotassium Phosphate, Mono and Diglycerides. Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Artificial Flavor], Maltodextrin, Decaffeinated Instant Coffee, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Contains less than 2% of Natural and Artificial Flavor, Nonfat Milk, Lactose, Salt, Sodium Citrate, Aspartame** and Acesulfame Potassium (Sweeteners) *Adds A Negligible Amount of Sugar **Phenylketonurics

Sorry about this... but this posting made me laugh... really think about that and think whats truly healthy on a cruise ship. I do believe the avg person gains a pound a day on a cruise ship :)

I really love strong coffee. The coffee on Carnival is just not strong enough for me. But, I am on a cruise and having a great time so I don't let it bother me. Cappuchino is free in the dining room so I get one of those at dinner. I don't think I need to bring some kind of coffee maker with me. I heard that Starbucks has some great instant coffee but that's just a thought. I have cruised 16 times and I do feel that the coffee has gotten weaker over the years.

I actually carry around a tin of Interntional Flavors Coffee with me when I go down to breakfast if I'm going to the buffet and add a nice big tablespoon of that to my morning coffees. Yes, coffees (plural), adding this to them makes the coffee so much better that I can drink more than one cup. Especially on port days when the main dining room isn't open.

A woman with the same taste as me. I add International coffee to mine as well and I am a 5 cups a day person. I also prefer perked over drip anyday. Also a shot of Baileys or Kaluha never hurts either.

Coffee differs on each ship to me. On Inspiration a year ago it was so strong everyone was adding hot water to it. On the Behind the Fun tour we asked the chef and he said everyone liked it strong although all 16 of us said we didn't. In October on Inspiration coffee and most of the food was much, much better.

I saw an officer talking the the chef in the Lido and overheard directions he was giving the chef. Seems as though the chef listened to him.

We ate breakfast almost everyday in the MDR - it was sooo much nicer than having to schlep your food around at the buffet first thing in the morning - we plan to always try to eat in the MDR for breakfast - we also had lunch there one day but preferred to be casual at the buffet.

i found the coffee at the buffet to be unbearable! After considering how it tasted, i would bet that it is instant powdered coffee! However i really love the coffee in MDR, and will often drink several cups with dinner! On the last day of my last cruise, I discovered that you can have breakfast in the MDR provided you dont dress like a bum, and that the coffee is just as good as it is at dinner!

I don't really buy into the conspiracy theory about having bad coffee to push you to buy the coffee bar stuff. The coffee in the lido was horrible long before they had the coffee bars:D.

The DH and I love coffee and make excellent coffee at home. However, we can't stand the coffee served on the Lido...way too strong (I have taken to diluting mine with hot water). I think if they used 1/2 bag instead of a full bag the coffee would be just right and they would save a lot of $$. Interestingly enough NCLs coffee is just as bad so I think I may be right in that a 1/2 bag might do it. The decaf is just as bad...yuck! Carnival are you listening? For those who like very strong coffee there is always expresso...just sayin'.;)

How are the Via singles? Are they just as good (don't beat me please!) as the real deal at Starbucks coffee shops? I've debated on purchasing some to see how they are for this exact purpose, cruising, rather than pay for it at the Seattle's best or whatever it is.

They're pretty good. I travel a lot. Those little coffee makers in hotel rooms are usually the first cup of coffee for me. I buy those Starbucks VIA singles from Costco and just use the coffee maker to make hot water.

Not as good as fresh brewed, but much better than instant. And usually much better than you get in the chain restaurants (assuming better than Carnival coffee, too).

I always water the coffee down with the hot water that's usually available. I've found 2/3 coffee the rest water makes for a decent cup of joe.

We do the same and it makes for a decent cup of coffee. We prefer a mix of half cappucino and half coffee from convenience stores.

Coffee differs on each ship to me. On Inspiration a year ago it was so strong everyone was adding hot water to it. On the Behind the Fun tour we asked the chef and he said everyone liked it strong although all 16 of us said we didn't. In October on Inspiration coffee and most of the food was much, much better.

I saw an officer talking the the chef in the Lido and overheard directions he was giving the chef. Seems as though the chef listened to him.

Perhaps they figured strong you could fix. Weak coffee you can't do anything to fix. Can't say I've ever come across a cup of coffee that is too strong.

Perhaps they figured strong you could fix. Weak coffee you can't do anything to fix. Can't say I've ever come across a cup of coffee that is too strong.

I like it strong too. Nothing like a good strong kick to get the pulse started.

Archived