Warning - Coffee on Carnival (blech!)

Katoo

I don't quite understand why the coffee in the MDR is so much better than up top. It looked to me like the wait staff had the same type of beverage station there as the self serve ones in the buffet. Maybe putting it into a pot helps - like some wine benefits from decanting :confused:. Either way, the coffee on Lido is horrible, in the dining room not so bad.

Happy Sails,

Annette

I completely agree with you on this one!!!!!:)

We were on the Victory a few weeks ago and ordered room service coffee most mornings. It was pretty good and it was nice to sit out on our balcony relaxing with a coffee while we woke up a bit. Imagine our surprise when we decided to go to the Grand Buffet on the Lido deck on day 3 and had a cup of their coffee.....BLECH! So awful! We ate our breakfast and then went back to the room and ordered coffee from room service...that stuff tasted like liquid gold that day, lol.

If you sailed on the Golden Princess you would be begging for Carnival's coffee. :D

I thought I could drink anything that resembled coffee, not on Princess, it was horrible. But of course the brewed coffee at their coffee bar was very good :rolleyes:

I didn't mind the coffee on the Splendor. Much better than my previous cruise!

If you sailed on the Golden Princess you would be begging for Carnival's coffee. :D

I thought I could drink anything that resembled coffee, not on Princess, it was horrible. But of course the brewed coffee at their coffee bar was very good :rolleyes:

I didn't mind the coffee on the Splendor. Much better than my previous cruise!

I was going to say the same thing about Celebrity. Even the coffee in the bistros you paid for had the same, hideous off taste as the rest of the coffee on the ship.

HAL slightly worse than CCL coffee, although the MDR coffee was fine.

Usually with Carnival coffee I don't notice it all that much. Not great, but at least drinkable.

How are the Via singles? Are they just as good (don't beat me please!) as the real deal at Starbucks coffee shops? I've debated on purchasing some to see how they are for this exact purpose, cruising, rather than pay for it at the Seattle's best or whatever it is.

We like them. Not as good as a fresh brewed cup at SBs but definitely an improvement on Lido coffee. We usually order two carafes of hot water on 1st day then keep the carafes. The carafes are easily fillable with hot water from the Lido coffee machines.

When I travel with my parents, we order coffee from room service the first morning...it usually arrives lukewarm, at best. We then keep the carafe. When I go up to walk on the deck about 7:00 a.m., I take the carafe with me in my tote. I leave the tote on a beach chair while I walk, and then stop by and fill it up with coffee on the Lido deck. I grab a few danish or croissants and go back to the room, and we sit on the balcony and have coffee and watch the world go by. Any coffee becomes drinkable in that setting.

I am a confessed coffee snob. When they put coffee shops on the ships they hooked me and now I pay the $1.50 for a cup of coffee. It is 100 X better than room service/buffet coffee.

I agree with you!!! The coffee shops are wonderful, sure beats Starbucks (its bitter) hands down!

I agree with another post. Everyone has their own opinion and experience. But, I find the coffee ok anywhere on the ships I have taken. I have been on 15 Carnival ships and don't have a problem. I think, like most restaurants, it depends on who has made the coffee that particular time one is partaking. If you have a favorite coffee that comes in small individual packets, from home, maybe bring along. I know one would feel they should not have to do such a thing, but if coffee is really important and you would find it unexceptable it might be worth a try? Just a thought. But, for me the coffee has always been good enough. Sometimes excellent, sometimes so so and I suspect depended on who made that particular batch of coffee. Enjoy your next cruise, that is what is important! :p

On our last couple of cruises we would actually put hot chocolate in the cup (about 1/3), and then fill up with coffee. Tastes like a flavored creamer and makes the coffee quite palatable. Like most posters, I agree that the coffee in the MDR is good, but in the buffet - yuck!

I get it that a lot of people dont like Carnival's coffee, and that some ( like me ) dont think that it is all that bad or at least tolerable, but what I am not getting here is why.

The major complaints seem to be against the coffee in the machines at the lido buffet area, so what I am wondering is, why do folks find it so bad?

Is it too strong, too weak, or just plain blaaaaahhhh? Just wondering.

To me it tastes like burnt instant coffee on the Lido. I drink my coffee black so Lido coffee straight up just isn't worth it to me. Neither is room service coffee. I can drink a cup or two in the dining room if we go there for breakfast.

I travel with a small french press (1 cup size) and order hot water from room service or run to the Lido and get some in an insulated mug. That way I get good coffee for drinking on the balcony and watching the world go by.

I get it that a lot of people dont like Carnival's coffee, and that some ( like me ) dont think that it is all that bad or at least tolerable, but what I am not getting here is why.

The major complaints seem to be against the coffee in the machines at the lido buffet area, so what I am wondering is, why do folks find it so bad?

Is it too strong, too weak, or just plain blaaaaahhhh? Just wondering.

This is purely my opinion and I am sure others might disagree. I think the coffee is too strong. However, I also think it is a combination of things that make it that way. First, those coffee urns should be cleaned after every 2-3 uses and that means brushing down the walls of the inside of the urn which I have never seen the crew do. The coffee builds up oils on the inside which will make the coffee taste bitter. Secondly, it could be the brand of coffee. If it is pure Columbian coffee which most institutions use then it is a stronger blend than store bought coffee. If it is pure Columbian coffee then less is needed to make a good pot. Finally, it may have a lot to do with the water they use to make the coffee. Too many variables here to know what the right answer is. I am glad I like tea as well but even that tastes differently and that may be why I feel a lot has to do with the water they use. Oh, also they may be making the coffee in the MDR with a smaller unit like a Bunn coffeemaker with glass pots and that may be why it tastes better.

I also think it is a combination of things that make it that way. First, those coffee urns should be cleaned after every 2-3 uses and that means brushing down the walls of the inside of the urn which I have never seen the crew do. The coffee builds up oils on the inside which will make the coffee taste bitter..

I've been thinking the same thing ! I have my morning coffee at a local restaurant where I bet they rarely clean out the urns and the coffee leaves a bitter aftertaste in my mouth. A friend suggested I put in a tiny pinch of salt in my coffee cup and that would take the bitterness away. Seems to help ! Btw, Nescafé also has a new product, a slim box of 6 packets of instant coffee just like Starbuck's "Via". It's called Taster's Choice Classic Gourmet and the individual packets are slim enough to fit in your suitcase. It's just the right serving and taste, so I'm going to take some with me as I need a good cup of coffee in the morning !:)

We both are coffee nuts and pretty much keep a cup going all day. We do find the coffee from the coffee bar good. As Starbuck's lovers we have started taking the new Via singles on our cruises. Just a couple of carafes of hot water from room service and we are on our way

FAB idea - thanks...will be going and getting before I leave in 2 weeks!!!!!

I've been thinking the same thing ! I have my morning coffee at a local restaurant where I bet they rarely clean out the urns and the coffee leaves a bitter aftertaste in my mouth. A friend suggested I put in a tiny pinch of salt in my coffee cup and that would take the bitterness away. Seems to help ! Btw, Nescafé also has a new product, a slim box of 6 packets of instant coffee just like Starbuck's "Via". It's called Taster's Choice Classic Gourmet and the individual packets are slim enough to fit in your suitcase. It's just the right serving and taste, so I'm going to take some with me as I need a good cup of coffee in the morning !:)

Not a fan of instant coffee but I will give this a try. If it's decent then I will bring it along next cruise or pay the dollar or two for a cup at the coffee bar. Such a small thing to think about in the scheme of things but important enough first thing in the morning :D

Does Carnival have the coffe cards for the specialty coffees? Had these on Princess and found them so much faster. Also I think we got one coffee free. Very fast to use. I have to agree with the coffee not tasting good in the buffet, but I have found this true in many places that we have stayed in the Caribbean. They use a liquid to make the coffee. The best coffee I had was in Aruba. All others have been too strong and bitter. Always get a cappucino whenever possible.

I'll be buying the Starbucks Via's as I don't care for the actual flavor of coffee, just the jolt of it. LOL!

Ditto that. I never cared for 'instant coffee' at all until S'bucks introduced Via.

This past week's cruise (like several before) I took my travel tumbler that has the built-in packets holder. All I need is some hot water and voila!! :D

249149e.jpg

I know that I will be in the minority here, and I respect everyone else's opinion. I actually dont find it that bad. The coffee on the lido deck is just ok, I neither find it very good or that bad. I do like the coffee that comes with room service, and I also like the coffee in the MDR. And I have tried the coffee in the specialty cafe and dont like it, as it only comes in "dark roast" which I hate. Maybe Im just not a coffee connoisseur, and I admit, I only drink a cup or two in the am, maximum, but I dont find it all that bad. JMHO.:)

We normally order a pot from room service to give us that inital kick in the pants and then go to the MDR for breakfast. I don't think it was the taste of the coffee so much as it is not hot enough on both Lido and from room service. The MDR coffee is just hotter and fresher.

• 4 weeks later...
I'll be buying the Starbucks Via's as I don't care for the actual flavor of coffee, just the jolt of it. LOL!

Ditto that. I never cared for 'instant coffee' at all until S'bucks introduced Via.

This past week's cruise (like several before) I took my travel tumbler that has the built-in packets holder. All I need is some hot water and voila!! :D

249149e.jpg

Do you drink it as it is? Do you add creamer or anything?

Archived