CHANIA, Crete-Anyone been there??

Zlasmcruising

Hi

I visited Chania many years ago. We will also be visiting it again in 3 weeks on a cruise. I don't know yet if it's changed much but it was really nice and a bit quiter than other resorts on Crete. It has a lovely Venetian harbour with some nice restaurants around. Have a look at

http://www.chania.eu/tourism/index.php?lang=en

We caught local buses and did a nice walk around some old monasteries nearby. Also if you have time and are pretty fit we also did the Gorge of Samaria which was excellant. Although you may be pushing it if you are only there for one day.

I'll be interested to see what it's like again.

Regards

Phil

Thank you for letting me know. The site is nice! If you know or after your cruise, I'd like to know if you can get a cab from the cruise ship to that area. Our cruiseline is offering a 3 hour excursion on your own, but I think I'd like to spend more time there. Which cruise line are you going on?? I looked at some of the other cruiseline sites and couldn't find any with excursions there. Thanks again!!!:)

Hi

We are going on Azamara Quest. I'll have a look to see what's there when we visit. I think Azamara have 3 excursions. One 3.5 hours and 2 x 5 hour ones. Although we plan to have an easy day just in Chania.

We will be there next month on the Quest and i have hired Lefty the Taxi Driver for the day. Not sure what he has in mind. I told him we want to see everything and then have lunch:D I will report our experience when we get back.

--------------

Helen

Great!! Thank you!!!!!:)

• 3 weeks later...

We are back from our Azamara Quest cruise which included a stop in Chania. We hired a taxi driver and spent the day driving around the nearby areas. We saw the Venetian port with its lighthouse, strolled thru the market, stopped for coffee at a cafe out in the countryside with all the farmers. Apparently the olive harvest will not be for another few weeks so they are enjoying their "down" time. We made our way out to the seaside resort of Rethimnon and then a stop for lunch and back to the ship. A lovely day despite the rainy and cold weather. The BIG sights of Crete are quite a distance from this port and going to, for instance, the Palace of Knossos would involve hours of driving there and back. We were only in port for a total of 8 hours so decided aginst spending our time that way.

----------------------------

Helen

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm having a lot of problems finding about the port. Someone sent me a link (I can't lay my hands on right now) that talks about the bus from the port Souda into Chania. It sounds to me right now that taking a bus or taxi into town or the beach may be the best option. The bus is only a few euros per person and seems to run regularly every 30 min. in the summer.

Since this is a new port for RCCL and there are several taking the cruise first in May and June, hopefully we can get more information prior to our cruise in July.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I visited Chania many years ago. We will also be visiting it again in 3 weeks on a cruise. I don't know yet if it's changed much but it was really nice and a bit quiter than other resorts on Crete. It has a lovely Venetian harbour with some nice restaurants around. Have a look at

http://www.chania.eu/tourism/index.php?lang=en

We caught local buses and did a nice walk around some old monasteries nearby. Also if you have time and are pretty fit we also did the Gorge of Samaria which was excellant. Although you may be pushing it if you are only there for one day.

I'll be interested to see what it's like again.

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil - the websites say the Gorge does not open until May, we will be there Mid-April. If we can find a way to get there on our one day port stop, is it worth going just to "look"? I wonder if the Gorge ever opens before May???

We were in Chania a number of years ago and loved it. So much so that we will be back for the first week in May.

Not sure how much time you have. You may want to consider renting a car for a day. You will probably need an international drivers lic. in Greece and I would recommned reserving a car in advance with one of the majors. There are lots of local agencies but you need to be very careful...the price that you think you are paying is quite often not the price you pay at the end of the day!

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, Chania has a bus service that runs from the port to the old city center. I forget the website, but had saved the email response I received from them. It is chaniabus@gmail.com. Antonis responded quickly and assured me that their bus company makes a special point to meet any cruise ships that arrive. He asked for our time of ship's arrival and indicated that it would be "on their schedule". If I recall correctly the fare was only a euro or two each way.

• 3 months later...

Thank you to all who have posted. Since we're going to be in Chania for 11 hours, I'm very interested in seeing how "doable" Knossos. Unlikely that we'll ever be in Crete again and it seemed a waste to simply hang out in a beach town for so long. I've found name of one tour/taxi there. Anyone else have any other suggestions? Wish they had a few helicopters! :)

We are also looking at going back to Greece and possible doing a land stay on Crete as we only had half a day as a port stop a few years ago. We just had a few hours then to wander a bit in Heraklion but would love to spend more time on the island. If we based ourselves in Chania and had a rental car, would we be able to do a day trip to Heraklion and Knossos? I like what I have been reading about Chania being picturesque and quieter as well as proximity to beaches and other local sites including the gorge.

We spent a week in Crete in late April/early May. We got a package deal in London. Stayed in Rethymnon (between Chania and Her.) and spent our time exploring the island. We had been before but only for a few days. The rental car was inexpensive and the roads were good. We wish that we have been able to stay for 10 days.

There is actually a very nice beach near Chania-a little past the airport at Souda. You need a car but there are some great views on the way up.

CHANIA' date=' Crete, next summer RCCL changed the Crete city to Chania. Anyone have any info on this. I read where the old part is nice to visit. Anyone been there??[/quote']

Loved this port just not enough time, there is s shuttle bus to town cost is 3 euor one way the buses were ready and you had to buy a ticket, a lot to do with many options I wrote about it in my blog. . Enjoy the lovely island.

cruisinbob

Archived