CHANIA, Crete-Anyone been there??

Zlasmcruising

We spent a week in Crete in late April/early May. We got a package deal in London. Stayed in Rethymnon (between Chania and Her.) and spent our time exploring the island. We had been before but only for a few days. The rental car was inexpensive and the roads were good. We wish that we have been able to stay for 10 days.

There is actually a very nice beach near Chania-a little past the airport at Souda. You need a car but there are some great views on the way up.

Do you remember approximately how long a drive it is from the Souda airport to Rethymnon and between Chania and Rethymnon?

From memory I would say that it was about an hour and a bit each way, Chania is about 45-55 minutes (not to the old port, but to the turnoff so to speak), Souda is 15-20 past Chania going thru heavier, local traffic. We were on vacation and we not paying too much attention to time but we did the drive a few times. The road is very good, actually it is the same road that goes to Heraklion. I found the drivers in Crete to be very good so there is nothing to be concerned about from that perspective.

There are some beautiful spots in the mountains and on the other side of the island. We stayed in the old part of town, facing the ocean, and just beside the fort. We were very pleased with the package that we bought. You absolutely (IMHO) need a car to see the island. There is apparently a fairly good bus service that runs along this road but we did not use it.

We decided that we wanted to stay in either Chania or Rethymnon-one of the tours on offer was a hotel in Rethymnon that was highly rated so pushed the bottom on it so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...
We just got back from out cruise and used Lefteris for our trip. We were there on a Sunday so some things were closed but Lefty took us all around the area and packed alot in 5 hours. His e mail is elnikigr@yahoo.com

We are going to be in Chania in November and are considering using Lefteris as our guide. Can you tell me if 5 hours were enough or did you need more? He is quoting his price per hour - and it's not cheap. Also - were just 2 of you - or 4? Is his taxi comfortable enough for 4? (three in the back seat)

Any information you can think of would be highly appreciated

miriam

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried to look into renting a car in Chania without much luck.

Are there plenty of car rental agencies at the pier? Do you have to go into town to rent a car?

Any information on rental locations or prices for the day would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Jeanette

The restaurants by the harbour are nice but expensive, you can save 10-20% by moving a couple of streets further into the town. OTOH you lose the harbour view! :)

But I preferred Rethymnon(sp?) a little further along the coast, prettier and quieter IMHO.

Archived