Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer

dcrm

I read several posts here about the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer catamaran tour. It sounded wonderful so I tried to book it for our August 2011 cruise but it is unavailable (other excursions are already available to book). I read somewhere on here that people were able to book the Tracy Arm tour for 2011. Does anyone have further information? I sent an email inquiry to HAL and received this response:

"The ship will be just scenic cruising at Tracy Arms as there is no dock to park the ship there. You will be able to admire the beautiful glaciers and outdoor natural scenery from the ship."

I replied that the catamaran tour did exist on 2010 cruises and asked her to look further into it -- very politely of course. I also sent her a link to the info on the HAL Web site, hoping that would help. If you look at the general page for Alaska excursions, it's there, but disappears when you go to the actual booking page. She answered saying that the catamaran tour from Juneau, which I wasn't asking about, doesn't exist anymore. She also said I could try booking onboard. I really didn't want to wait until then, obviously, since I'm sitting here doing this 10 months in advance of my August cruise :confused:.

Thank you for any answers you might have. Without CC I wouldn't have had any idea what choices to make regarding our cruise.

Are you sailing on the Amsterdam? That tour was not available on the Amsterdam in 2010. I know because I wanted to take that tour very much, so I specifically asked about it on board!

For the other ships, my memory is that the tour did not become available until much closer to the Alaska season.

No, I'm on the Zuiderdam. I'll have to keep checking. I was surprised to see the excursions available so early since I heard I would have to wait until about four months before to book anything.

On the Zuiderdam last July, that particular tour did not become available for booking until just a few weeks before the cruise.

That's good to know. Thanks. Since other excursions were up, I assumed all of them would be. The person who emailed me seemed to not know this excursion existed at all. Glad to hear that it does.

I read several posts here about the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer catamaran tour. It sounded wonderful so I tried to book it for our August 2011 cruise but it is unavailable (other excursions are already available to book). I read somewhere on here that people were able to book the Tracy Arm tour for 2011. Does anyone have further information? I sent an email inquiry to HAL and received this response:

"The ship will be just scenic cruising at Tracy Arms as there is no dock to park the ship there. You will be able to admire the beautiful glaciers and outdoor natural scenery from the ship."

I replied that the catamaran tour did exist on 2010 cruises and asked her to look further into it -- very politely of course. I also sent her a link to the info on the HAL Web site, hoping that would help. If you look at the general page for Alaska excursions, it's there, but disappears when you go to the actual booking page. She answered saying that the catamaran tour from Juneau, which I wasn't asking about, doesn't exist anymore. She also said I could try booking onboard. I really didn't want to wait until then, obviously, since I'm sitting here doing this 10 months in advance of my August cruise :confused:.

Thank you for any answers you might have. Without CC I wouldn't have had any idea what choices to make regarding our cruise.

After reading your post, I went to see, as this is one hubby and I want to do. (our cruise is in September) I just booked it for us now:)

It is listed under Shore Excursions for Ketchikan, not under Tracy Arm.

Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer

$175.00 per adult

$115.00 per child per unit *Price is per unit, not per person

(under 12)

Joanie

After reading your post, I went to see, as this is one hubby and I want to do. (our cruise is in September) I just booked it for us now:)

Thanks Joanie. There is/was a Tracy Arm tour in 2010 in addition to the one you booked. Someone here said they preferred the Tracy Arm tour, but I'm sure they are both beautiful so we'll do that one if the other doesn't show up.

I also want to book it on the Z. Our PCC checked on it for me. They are currently working out some problems with the tour but plan to have it available through the Juneau excursions "shortly". I guess we'll just have to keep checking.

Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer

$175.00 per adult

$115.00 per child per unit *Price is per unit, not per person

(under 12)

Joanie

This is not the Tracy Arm Fjords tour.

The person who emailed me seemed to not know this excursion existed at all. Glad to hear that it does.

Unfortunately people who work for the cruiselines just don't seem to have the necessary knowledge for their jobs. Right or wrong, my personal theory is that they are near minimum wage workers with a high turnover rate. Not many stay long enough to learn the job. That is all I can conclude. I eventually gave up calling customer service. You get different answers depending whom you speak with. You get different responses if you go the email support route. There is so much confusion it gets ridiculous. I am surprised the cruises even go off as scheduled with so many people working for the cruiselines who are clueless.

For some background information: As I understand it, until recently NCL was the only cruiseline offering this add on Tracy Arm tour. Last year it seemed to be offered by most of the cruiselines. However, I believe I read not all ship itineraries did offer it.

In your case, perhaps it is not listed because the cruiseline hasn't finalized their contract with Allen Marine just yet. I ran into a similar issue with NCL in Hawaii. Their online excursion list was not up to date at all. I did have to call. They were able to clear up one situation but not the other. Eventually the tour that was not listed at all, did appear and was availabe.

So, as others have told you, just keep checking.

This is not the Tracy Arm Fjords tour.

Duh.......... Blond moment again:eek: Thanks for pointing this out to me. I saw Fjords and assumed .... :o Never even thought about it being 2 separate places... And wondered why anone would book it out of Juneau when it is out of Ketchikan.... NOW I know why:o

Joanie

I'm also interested in this tour. I read in related threads that ice conditions may hinder also the catamaran from getting close to the glaciers. Is this likely as early in the season as May 23? Or would the tour be a good idea because it might be more likely that the cruise ship won't be able to enter the fjord?

I'm also interested in this tour. I read in related threads that ice conditions may hinder also the catamaran from getting close to the glaciers. Is this likely as early in the season as May 23? Or would the tour be a good idea because it might be more likely that the cruise ship won't be able to enter the fjord?

We have been to Tracy Arm twice on HAL ships in May/June. We have not been able to get far enough back into Tracy Arm to see glaciers. I think if viewing the Dawsons was a priority to you, you might want to consider the tour.

• 8 months later...

I have just booked this tour for the week of Sept 3 (Zuiderdam) - I believe it has only just been posted on the HAL website. I hope you are successful in taking this - I have been up the Tracy Arm to the Glaciers previously (on the Volendam). It is awesome! Looking forward to getting even closer on the cat.

How long are you in Juneau? Have you checked on non-ship tours?

DON

Wow. OK. I'm planning my next year itinerary based just on this excursion! The one I've seen is boarding the catamaran in Tracy Arm off the ship, then the catamaran takes you into Juneau at the end of the tour.

If this isn't available, this itinerary is a bust for me. It would be a waste of port time otherwise. The Tracy Arm scenery would be much like anything you see while sailing, since the glaciers are way back into the fjord.

No, I'm on the Zuiderdam. I'll have to keep checking. I was surprised to see the excursions available so early since I heard I would have to wait until about four months before to book anything.

We were on the Zuiderdam first week of July, I think the catamarran tour was available about a month ahead of time for us and I know it was sold out before we sailed - if this tour is available I highly recommend it - was one of the highlights of our trip! good luck.

If this isn't available, this itinerary is a bust for me. It would be a waste of port time otherwise. The Tracy Arm scenery would be much like anything you see while sailing, since the glaciers are way back into the fjord.

I don't know. I very much wanted to do the catamaran ride, but it wasn't offered on my Amsterdam cruise last year. The only time I've been up Tracy Arm was on the Volendam in '06. It was a very, very pretty ride. True the glaciers were way back, but I thought the ride in and out was definitely grand. You feel very close to the land.

Now, if the cruise didn't even go up the fjord, and you weren't terribly interested in the rest of the itinerary, then I can see where it would be better to do something else.

I don't know. I very much wanted to do the catamaran ride, but it wasn't offered on my Amsterdam cruise last year. The only time I've been up Tracy Arm was on the Volendam in '06. It was a very, very pretty ride. True the glaciers were way back, but I thought the ride in and out was definitely grand. You feel very close to the land.

Now, if the cruise didn't even go up the fjord, and you weren't terribly interested in the rest of the itinerary, then I can see where it would be better to do something else.

I go to Alaska all the time, so its sometimes hard to find something I haven't done. Even tho I was raised in Juneau, I have never seen Sawyer glacier.

I just checked the itinerary for the cruise I'm booking next week, and the catamaran excursion is an option! Haven't been on a catamaran yet. Should be fun!!

I really look forward to being close to the land, as you described. Thanks Ruth!

Archived