Children in the Main Dining Room

heymonkey89

We are leaving in a few days on our first cruise with our child. In the past I've never noticed kids in the dining room.

Does Carnival tend to put families together? Should we expect to have other kids at our table? Do most parents send their kids to Camp Carnival to eat dinner? He's four years old and can last a good hour at the dinner table. I never pay attention to how long dinner last on cruises. How long does it typically take to have dinner?

At our table were my two kids (6 and 10 at the time) and my nephew, who was 4. I didn't really notice any other kids, we were kind of tucked in the back on the upper level of the dining room. But dinner lasted a MAX of an hour and 15 minutes, we ate together every night and we never had an issue with our kids (not that we anticipated one). No worries. ;)

We are leaving in a few days on our first cruise with our child. In the past I've never noticed kids in the dining room.

Does Carnival tend to put families together? Should we expect to have other kids at our table? Do most parents send their kids to Camp Carnival to eat dinner? He's four years old and can last a good hour at the dinner table. I never pay attention to how long dinner last on cruises. How long does it typically take to have dinner?

There are lots of kids in the dining room and why you didn't notice them is because they were probably well behaved - you would have noticed them if they were the kids from hell. They usually try to pair you with like familes. Dinner is at least an hour if not more - depending on the service - they do entire area in courses. Just take toys etc to occupy him - he will do fine.

We have always taken our kids. We were never seated with another family. This last cruise we requested to be seated with another family (we knew) and they accomidated us.

dinner lasted for us about an hour and half.

My daughter has cruised with us since she was 4, and has always accompanied us to the MDR. She's even gone to the Supper Club with us.

We have sat with other families, or by ourselves at a 4 top.

Dinner is usually about an hour and a half.

After 9 cruises, she has yet to see the inside of Camp Carnival.

I've seen kids in the main dining room on every cruise line we've been on. They all seemed happy and I've never had a problem with any of them.

We have only taken our kids on one cruise, but we ate in the MDR every night. They were 8 and 12, though, so plenty old enough to handle the lengthier dinner. Or else. :)

Seriously, though, I see nothing wrong with bringing a 4 year old to dinner in the MDR. When my kids were younger I always packed a bag full of stuff for them to do at dinner in restaurants. Maybe you could pack a new book for each night of the cruise - doesn't have to be a big book, just a little paperback book with neat-o pictures. Maybe a couple of sticker books to play with. Some crayons and a coloring book.

My kids love my iPhone, I've downloaded a couple of games for them to use when they are bored - although my now-14 year old has his own iPhone now too. If you have an iPod or iTouch that could very well be a lifesaver during longer dinners.

Just a few thoughts to hopefully help you enjoy your cruise more. I personally LOVE to see the little ones all dressed up.

My son dined with me and it was perfectly fine. All throughout dinner, they keep everyone entertained. We even got up and danced:eek:, the entire dining room, on a couple different nights. Your son may not even notice he's been there an hour.

Have fun!!!!:p

Question from a first time cruiser. We are a family of 5. Kids are 7 and twin 4 year olds...will they sit us at a table for 8 or do they have ones that will fit just our family? We plan on trying the mdr to see how the twins do and will definitely have nintendo ds in tow since I don't dare turn on my iPhone on board.

Our family sailed 10/11 with kids in tow ages 3, 8 and 16, no problem in the MDR.:) We were there about 1hr to 1 1/2 hrs, the kids enjoyed & one night during dining one of our neighboring tables came over and complemented the kids on their behavior. :)

Kids in the dining room are welcomed and quite common. If you don't have kids with you, you are unlikely to notice other's children...at least, I don't!

Generally, the main seating is where the bulk of the kids are, since the earlier times are better for the youngster.

There are lots of kids in the dining room and why you didn't notice them is because they were probably well behaved - you would have noticed them if they were the kids from hell. They usually try to pair you with like familes. Dinner is at least an hour if not more - depending on the service - they do entire area in courses. Just take toys etc to occupy him - he will do fine.

We took my DGS when he was 3, and he did great. The waiters always had a plate of fruit & veggies for him when we arrived. They miss their kids and do fawn over them. The MD came over every night and did a little something for him. He usually curled up in his chair when we were half way thru dinner and slept. It was late seating, but he did fine.

We always brought our children to the dining room. They loved the attention the waiters gave them. We never brought any toys to the table with us. No toys at the table was just one of our rules. However I saw one family bring a portable DVD player and their son watched Vegie Tales while they were waiting between courses. I thought that was a really good idea. Especially if your children are not used to sitting still during dinner.

Question from a first time cruiser. We are a family of 5. Kids are 7 and twin 4 year olds...will they sit us at a table for 8 or do they have ones that will fit just our family? We plan on trying the mdr to see how the twins do and will definitely have nintendo ds in tow since I don't dare turn on my iPhone on board.
We sailed 9 times as a family of 5 (oldest son no longer sails with us) and only twice were we seated with another family. One time we were at an 8-top with a family of 3 and the other time it was a table for 9 with a family of four. Both times I was amazed how well Carnival matched the kids' ages.

The other times we were at a 4-top with an extra chair on the end. I know that annoys some people, but we've always had plenty of room.

Our daughter's usually eat with us though the 9yr old would rather eat with Camp Carnival. We have found that they try to seat families together. This last cruise we were seated with another family with two children also.

There is a kid's menu. (Adults can order from it also though most are unaware of this)

Good way to get a banana split.

Dave

Our daughter came with us to the MDR. I think you'll see more kids and families at the earlier dinner times.

When she was younger, I brought a few crayons or a pencil and paper in my purse to restaurants. She'd have a ball drawing while waiting. I didn't bring toys, though. We'd play tic tac toe or hangman sometimes. (very quietly) When she was really young (around 4 or5), I'd quietly tell her a story. It was an ongoing story that usually lasted until our food got there. To this day, we laugh about the adventures of her two imaginary dogs.

I cringe when I read people planning on bringing toys to the table.

Yeah- (especially the teens with their ipods etc.--- we do not do that either. A cruise is a valuable learning tool to teach the kids the proper manners for such dinners. GD has cruised at 18 months, 3 and going on her next one at 5 in February. THere really is a lot going on in the MDR.

I cringe when I read people planning on bringing toys to the table.

Cringe all you want but then you have people who get annoyed when smaller children are squirmy at the table while waiting for longer periods of time so really those of us trying to do the other passengers a favor of keeping our children entertained and not interrupting others get screwed no matter what we do.

But I'm sure if you had three small kids with you they would all sit properly without a peep with napkins in their lap the entire time right?

Cringe all you want but then you have people who get annoyed when smaller children are squirmy at the table while waiting for longer periods of time so really those of us trying to do the other passengers a favor of keeping our children entertained and not interrupting others get screwed no matter what we do.

But I'm sure if you had three small kids with you they would all sit properly without a peep with napkins in their lap the entire time right?

If your kids are not old enough or experienced enough to sit at the dinner table and enjoy good conversation, why are you bringing them to the dining room?

On our last cruise there was a couple with a baby about 18 months old. They attended the late seating with what appeared to be the baby's grandparents. They were seated with another family at a larger table. This baby looked like he needed to go to bed. Each night in came mom and grandma with a squirming, tired baby. Each night no one made it through dinner. They kept trying and trying. It never worked. Everyone suffered, including the baby and those of us at the next table.

Asking children to do what they are not yet developmentally ready to do sets everyone up for problems.

How about a babysitter and/or the kids clubs? Then no one gets "screwed", you get to enjoy a relaxing dinner and so do those around you.

If your kids are not old enough or experienced enough to sit at the dinner table and enjoy good conversation, why are you bringing them to the dining room?

On our last cruise there was a couple with a baby about 18 months old. They attended the late seating with what appeared to be the baby's grandparents. They were seated with another family at a larger table. This baby looked like he needed to go to bed. Each night in came mom and grandma with a squirming, tired baby. Each night no one made it through dinner. They kept trying and trying. It never worked. Everyone suffered, including the baby and those of us at the next table.

Asking children to do what they are not yet developmentally ready to do sets everyone up for problems.

How about a babysitter and/or the kids clubs? Then no one gets "screwed", you get to enjoy a relaxing dinner and so do those around you.

I think the highlighted part of this response is key when determining whether or not you should take your kids to the MDR. We have taken our twins on 2 cruises, once at age 3 and next at age 5. We always did the early seating as we knew there was no way they would survive waiting until the later seating after having a full day.

Their first cruise was with Carnival and they sat us at our own table as a family. The second cruise was with RCCL and we were seated with 2 other couples. Knock on wood, for the most part, they behaved well. My DH and I believe that it is very important for them to learn how to behave and interact with others in this type of setting.

With that being said, on those nights when they really wanted to have dinner with other kids at the respective kids' club we sent them there. We knew if they really wanted to go then they would have more fun in that atmosphere, it gave us a break, and it saved us from fighting through dinner with them when they didn't really want to be there.

You definitely have to go with what feels right for you and your family, based on your children and their personalities. Even though MDR is such a nice way to spend dinner, remember there is always the less formal buffet option also, which you also might want to do as a more relaxing evening if it's been a busy day (sometimes it's nice to just not have to go to all the fuss of getting ready for MDR!).

PS - sorry, I should correct myself. They have been on 3 cruises, but the last one at 5 1/2 YO was with Disney, so I didn't really count that as being relevant since the dining rooms there are obviously teeming with kids and it's a very different environment from other cruise lines.

Archived