Food Portions

DelR

I'm staggered at the volume of food many people seem able to consume. I rarely have more than two courses - a starter and one of the ice creams usually - any more makes me feel ill, but many people seem to eat their way through the entire menu.

I do think the portions are pretty large which is why I skip the main and have a starter instead.

I have a small appetite and like to keep my size 8 figure from beginning to the ened of the cruise. I think the portion sizes are fine, but i never eat any bread or pototoes and usually ask for a salad with say my steak etc. I dont wat puddings but sometimes have a sorbet to be socialable. I have never felt over full and dont put weight on, but i have seen people asking for double streak etc etc. Its there if you want it and not forced upon you if you dont! I think people would be more likely to over eat in the buffet to be honest, wanting to try a bit of everything!!!

Last time on P+O we even tried the sardines on toast at the bottom of the menu... Anyone else tried these

No - but please tell me more. Breakfast, lunch or dinner? Canned or fresh??

While we are on the subject of food - does P&O ever serve up Monkfish?? Smoked Kippers?? Pork pies.??

Barry (a sardine lover)

Last time on P+O we even tried the sardines on toast at the bottom of the menu... Anyone else tried these

No - but please tell me more. Breakfast, lunch or dinner? Canned or fresh??

While we are on the subject of food - does P&O ever serve up Monkfish?? Smoked Kippers?? Pork pies.??

Barry (a sardine lover)

At the bottom of the dinner menu, they have a savoury course. Its just a small snack in reality but I have never fancied it at the end of a meal.

Kippers, yes on the breakfast menu, and pork pies, usually a slice off a large one, usually at lunch and always seems to be available in the self service. Not sure about monkfish, but they have quite a variety of fish available and there is always a fish dish on the dinner menu as well as salmon on the "always available" menu together with chicken breast and sirloin steak.

Brian

I have never found the portions a problem, smaller than we have at home, but then we don't have as many courses. Normally I have 4/5 of the courses. Before we cruised I always used to worry about the food, because I am such a plain eater, but I have always found something on the menu to my taste. Think I have only resorted to the optional steak on two occasions. :)

Then portions seemed smaller this season. The alternative steak we had one night on Azura was paper thin and small used to be about 8oz or more now I would say 6oz, tiny, we were offered 3 very small croquette potatoes and a spoonful of veg, They were not big portions atall. We don't have the soup course or cheese and biscuits, so it wasn't a big meal. We never have afternoon tea or cooked meal at lunch like some people, preferring to save ourselves for dinner, but the portions weren't big but if you asked for more you got it, and from then on every night. So not a problem.

Skip the food, have a glass of Champagne for breakfast, bloody mary for lunch and several G & T's for dinner. :p The ships fairies will make sure you get back to your cabin. :rolleyes: That way you just need a liver transplant when you get home, but don't put on any weight.

Skip the food, have a glass of Champagne for breakfast, bloody mary for lunch and several G & T's for dinner. :p The ships fairies will make sure you get back to your cabin. :rolleyes: That way you just need a liver transplant when you get home, but don't put on any weight.

... although the captain asks such people to remain midships, just in case the slooshing of liquids around their bellies affects the balance of the ship ;-)

I have done 4 cruises so far, I have always come home a couple of pounds less. I cannot eat all the food on offer and I get more exercise on a cruise what with walking ashore, walking around the ship, not using the lifts etc.

However, I did meet a couple of women who take 3 different sizes of clothes on board. Normal, bigger and huge! How awful. Fancy having to go on a diet to go on a cruise and then go on another one when you get home. Why not just watch a bit what you eat - pffftttttttt

Archived