Coral, Island or Diamond Princess..............

CenTexGal

We are looking to do an Alaskan Cruise in August next year. We want to do an 11-day Cruisetour. I 'think' we plan on doing the land part first. The booklet I got from the travel agent shows three ships that do this cruise. If I am reading everything correctly...The Coral Princess and The Island Princess are basically the same ship with The Diamond Princess being larger. I would love to hear some opinions from those that have traveled on these ships.

Thanks!

Are the itineraries exactly the same?? (a basic question, since the schedules aren't out :) ).

You may also want to take a look at the ship reviews, and poster reviews of Alaska sailings.

Only general information- be very knowledgable about your cruisetour selection, and be certainly you understand everything fully. Most people do not. Will greatly enhance your Alaska visit. :)

I am looking at the Island, myself, but only for the timing and direction I need. It doesn't matter to me, what ship. :)

Are the itineraries exactly the same?? (a basic question, since the schedules aren't out :) ).

You may also want to take a look at the ship reviews, and poster reviews of Alaska sailings.

Only general information- be very knowledgable about your cruisetour selection, and be certainly you understand everything fully. Most people do not. Will greatly enhance your Alaska visit. :)

I am looking at the Island, myself, but only for the timing and direction I need. It doesn't matter to me, what ship. :)

Thanks!

Yes, all itineraries are the same (per Princess' new 2011 book from the travel agency) just different days of departure. They all include;

7 day voyage of the glaciers cruise

4-night land cruise before or after

2-nights at Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge

1-night a Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge

1-night in Anchorage Natural History Tour in Denali National Park

Direct-to-the-Wilderness Rail Service

I guess I am just wondering if the smaller ship or the larger would be best. We have only been on Carnival Ecstasy and Carnival Conquest and liked them both for different reasons. The (smaller) Ecstasy did cause me a little seasickness on a rather rough sea day.

Thanks!

Yes, all itineraries are the same (per Princess' new 2011 book from the travel agency) just different days of departure. They all include;

7 day voyage of the glaciers cruise

4-night land cruise before or after

2-nights at Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge

1-night a Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge

1-night in Anchorage Natural History Tour in Denali National Park

Direct-to-the-Wilderness Rail Service

I guess I am just wondering if the smaller ship or the larger would be best. We have only been on Carnival Ecstasy and Carnival Conquest and liked them both for different reasons. The (smaller) Ecstasy did cause me a little seasickness on a rather rough sea day.

The nonweek end sailings, can sometimes have fewer ships in port, can be an advantage.

Only a suggestion, but the cruisetour, is lacking with the Natural History tour- if you want to get into Denali Park? Be CERTAIN, these areas are where you want to be? and you want 10 hours on a train, if you are Whittier/Denali? 4 nights is not a lot of time for interior Alaska. If an option, go longer and as long as you can afford. It would offer you way more. Most of this cruisetour is transit.

We sailed on the Island in June with a 12 day cruise tour. We loved the ship, sailed out of Vancouver on a Monday and it was the only ship in port which made things very nice. Be sure and trade your tour in Denali to the Denali Park Wilderness tour, its about 9 hours, but worth every minute. We also did the train, Direct to the Wilderness, which we enjoyed. We saw Mt. McKinley from the train, and they stopped so we could take pictures, also slowed for other things along the way. Enjoy!

I suggest doing the Southbound cruise as it goes to GB and Hubbard Glacier. Northbound goes to GB and College Fiords.

Check with your agent and see if you can upgrade to the Tundra Tour in Denali - some tours have enough time to do so (or see if you have time to do the shuttle in the park).

I have a slight preference to Coral and Island Princess over the Diamond as the space ratio is better but any of the ships are fine (I have been on Coral Princess (sister to Island) and Sapphire Princess (sister to Diamond).

We did a B/B on the Diamond in September and would rate the southbound itinerary superior to the northbound but only for the visit to the Hubbard Glacier. We have sailed on both the Diamond and the Coral a couple of times and while they are both wonderful ships we do have a preference for the Diamond. It is larger without feeling larger, we like the 5 dining venues, the public spaces are larger and the flow of people just feels better. The Diamond will have MUTS and the Sanctuary when it comes out of refit shortly (not big sellers in Alaska) and neither it or the Coral will have IC or Vines.

I've not been yet, but I had the same questions and chose the Island for the full wrap around promenade deck (on one level) and it being the 'smaller' ship. We preferred the Sea Princess over the Golden in the past, so I figured the Island/Coral would be more preferable to us than the Diamond.

Good luck in choosing!

I've not been yet, but I had the same questions and chose the Island for the full wrap around promenade deck (on one level)

For the OP's info, the Diamond also has the full wrap-around promenade deck. That is a HUGE selling point in my opinion - having an open forward-viewing area like that and being able to move side to side quickly. Way better than a balcony and VERY few people are usually out there. Just dress warmly, even on non-glacier days.

The Diamond will have MUTS and the Sanctuary when it comes out of refit shortly (not big sellers in Alaska) and neither it or the Coral will have IC or Vines.

For somebody unfamiliar with Princess what are MUTS, the Sanctuary, IC or Vines? Thanks.

We recently did the CruiseTour with the Island on Sept 8 - 20th...11days. We did the 4 day land portion first and cruised second. It was definitely the way to go doing the land first.

We did Fairbanks lodge (1 night), Denali lodge (1), and Mt. McKinley (2). If your staying at the Denali Lodge for 2 nights you difinitely want to do the 10 hour tour into the park as the 4 hour Natural History tour, even though very informative you won't see many animals. We only saw two Moose on the tour. Mt.McKinley on the other hand was Magnificant, it was clear without any clouds for 2 days, which according to the locals is rare.

The one advantage to the Island and the Coral is that they can go into smaller Fjords that the bigger ships can't. The weather was so good for us the Captian took us into an addition area to see,the John's Hopkins Glacier.

All I can say is that it was a wonderful experience an much better then I expected due to the great weather we had for the 11 days.

The one advantage to the Island and the Coral is that they can go into smaller Fjords that the bigger ships can't. The weather was so good for us the Captian took us into an addition area to see,the John's Hopkins Glacier.

Sorry, this is wrong. ANY of the ships can sail into the John Hopkin's Inlet in September. It is closed the rest of the season due to being a Harbor Seal Santuary, has nothing to do with ship "size" as it is a large water way with no limitations for the current cruiseships sailing Alaska. I have sailed there on Princess, NCL, and HAL. It is a matter of the Cpts' options however, and I have sailed on Princess ships, with one trip being "lacking", only did a 180 at the Margerie/Grand Pacific (starboard side got NO view, the ship left) and did not sail John Hopkins.

For somebody unfamiliar with Princess what are MUTS, the Sanctuary, IC or Vines? Thanks.

The Sanctuary - is a place in the spa - that has these amazing heated lounge chairs! We had it on the Island in Panama...and it was amazing! We bought a pass to use it for the whole cruise - there are also saunas and special showers and such...

In September, we cruised on the Island Princess and thought it was a great ship. I preferred the smaller ship to larger ones I've been on. Right after our cruise, she went into drydock for sprucing up so I'm sure she is in even better shape now.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information! We booked, last week, on the Island Princess leaving Aug. 31. We have a three day land package prior to sailing. We were able to get Port side cabins (we chose balcony cabins) on deck 9. Can't wait!!!

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information! We booked, last week, on the Island Princess leaving Aug. 31. We have a three day land package prior to sailing. We were able to get Port side cabins (we chose balcony cabins) on deck 9. Can't wait!!!

You are going at a fantastic time for Denali park. As you must already know, a three day cruisetour, isn't the best choice, as most of that time in transit. But, I strongly encourage you to get the Tundra Wilderness tour, if you don't already. The fall in Denali is spectacular, loaded with wildlife and color. It's not to be missed!!!!!

We are looking at booking a similiar cruse/tour on 9/10 on Coral Princess and I have a question. Did you choose the tour which has a motocoach ride to Denali or did you choose the one that has the train ride to Denali? I read on one thread that the motorcoach ride is nice because it goes through many small towns but also that the train ride is very scenic and would probably be less travel time. Has anyone done both of these modes of transportation and if so....which one did you like best? Thanks....

We are looking at booking a similiar cruse/tour on 9/10 on Coral Princess and I have a question. Did you choose the tour which has a motocoach ride to Denali or did you choose the one that has the train ride to Denali? I read on one thread that the motorcoach ride is nice because it goes through many small towns but also that the train ride is very scenic and would probably be less travel time. Has anyone done both of these modes of transportation and if so....which one did you like best? Thanks....

We have motorcoach in one direction and the train in the other. The best of both worlds as far as I am concerned, as I love trains!!

We have motorcoach in one direction and the train in the other. The best of both worlds as far as I am concerned, as I love trains!!

Thanks....which Tour # did you book? I am looking at #AA3 or #AAX (this one has a shorter train ride-from Denali to Talkeetna on Day 2).

I just noticed that you live in Waco...I live near there also!

I did notice you were from Texas and wondered where you lived. Well...Howdy neighbor!

We are doing tour CB3. We were so confused about all the different tours that we finally just picked one and hope it will be good. I am not so concerned with too much travel time...we have never been to Alaska, so being on a bus or train will only give us more time to enjoy the scenery. Looks like our times on the motor coach will not be too long....2-3 hour each leg...but the train trip back to Whittier will be an all day thing.

Archived