Best line for Alaskan cruise for a large family, including toddler?

Darcy Longfellow

Hello all! I've lurked for a while, but never posted.

DH and I took an Alaskan cruise two years ago -- a round trip from Seattle, on HAL. We're now trying to get the whole family to go on an Alaskan cruise next summer. The group would include me, DH (both early 30's), our daughter who will be nearly 2, my parents, DH's parents (all early 60's and active), and possibly DH's brother (mid 20's) and uncle (mid 60's and very active).

My main concern is having some way for my daughter to have a separate sleeping space because she is a really light sleeper, and DH and I don't want to be stuck in our room in the dark every evening after she goes to sleep. So, we'd like either a room with a divider of some sort (MIL says Celebrity has something like this?), a large closet that we could stick her pack and play in, or connecting rooms so that DH and I can hang out in the grandparents' room after DD goes to bed, but still be able to hear her if she cries. I read that NCL has some two bedroom suites -- I'm wondering if that would be an option.

So, any suggestions for the best cruiseline? Also, how about itineraries? Are there any that would be significantly better or worse for a group like ours? I imagine at least some of the group would do the super active stuff (DH and I took a 3 hour glacier trek last time), but we'd also need some excursions that can be done with a toddler.

Thanks so much!

I went to look something up for you, and then couldn't remember which forum this post was on! My memory just keeps getting worse:(

Anyway, the Family Cruising forum might have some advice for you. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

I was thinking balconies next to each other (not necessarily adjoining) might be helpful if you don't find something else, especially if you have a baby monitor (I assume they will work on a ship, but don't really know!)

One poster suggested Disney, yes they are sailing but they are pricey. They are also doing Tracy Arm so be ready that isn't nearly as an attractive a scenic as Glacier Bay which you can get with other lines.

Disney have larger rooms, sleep 5, but unless you are going to spring for a suite I don't think you will find anything with seperate sleeping quarters that is price friendly. Having a balcony helps but it ain't the Caribbean and its damm chilly out there even if it ain't dark till 10pm plus.

If you have decided to go the suite route think the difference between the cruises will come to what kind of style you like. IMHO the difference become personal preference to the ambience each market.

Hello all! I've lurked for a while, but never posted.

DH and I took an Alaskan cruise two years ago -- a round trip from Seattle, on HAL. We're now trying to get the whole family to go on an Alaskan cruise next summer. The group would include me, DH (both early 30's), our daughter who will be nearly 2, my parents, DH's parents (all early 60's and active), and possibly DH's brother (mid 20's) and uncle (mid 60's and very active).

My main concern is having some way for my daughter to have a separate sleeping space because she is a really light sleeper, and DH and I don't want to be stuck in our room in the dark every evening after she goes to sleep. So, we'd like either a room with a divider of some sort (MIL says Celebrity has something like this?), a large closet that we could stick her pack and play in, or connecting rooms so that DH and I can hang out in the grandparents' room after DD goes to bed, but still be able to hear her if she cries. I read that NCL has some two bedroom suites -- I'm wondering if that would be an option.

So, any suggestions for the best cruiseline? Also, how about itineraries? Are there any that would be significantly better or worse for a group like ours? I imagine at least some of the group would do the super active stuff (DH and I took a 3 hour glacier trek last time), but we'd also need some excursions that can be done with a toddler.

Thanks so much!

Princess has (on some ships) have connecting state rooms. There are not that many of them but that may be an option (and other lines may have them as well).

I would probably avoid Disney due to their itinerary (having Tracy Arm) and not having a covered pool.

One concern that I have is most kids programs (not sure of Disney) wants the children to be 3 to participate in the kids program. If this is a concern for you, you may want to look into that also to see which lines are more flexible with this. (thus the family forum may be good). Some lines offer baby sitting in the room which may allow you to take your young one to dinner in the buffet and then have dinner with the adults in the dining room that night while your little one is being looked after. Some 2 year olds can handle a longer dinner in a dining room and some can't.

I think the family board would be a good place to post also!

I'm more concerned with her sleeping!!

The situation between "now" and when you go, can be a big change. :)

You may just want to look at room availibility now and getting your booking in place. Ships sail full, and there is a lot less space available for Alaska compared to 2 years ago.

Archived