Self Disembarking

lauren0309

We would like to stay on the ship as long as possible...anyone know what that time might be? Our flight out of Sydney doesn't leave until 3:30pm.:confused:

You might want to one of the ship's disembarkation tours. There are a number of tours available.

Example:

Debark Tour - Sydney City Sights

Survey Sydney's most celebrated sights on a narrated drive about town. Take in sweeping views of the Opera House, Sydney skyline and harbor from the rock formation called Mrs. Macquairie's Chair. See Chinatown and the city's celebrated bohemian district en route to Bondi Beach - Australia's most famous strand of golden sand.

PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES

Mrs. Macquarie's Chair - The viewpoint is directly east of the Opera House, on the eastern edge of the Royal Botanic Gardens and provides excellent views west across the harbor to the Harbour Bridge and the mountains in the far distance. Looking north and east you can see Kirribilli House, Pinchgut Island and the Navy Dockyards at Wooloomooloo.

Bondi Beach - One of Sydney's most eclectic and exciting precints and the most celebrated beach in the country with its 1km of golden-sand. A visit to this area gives you a chance to experience its carefree, sundrenched lifestyle.

WHAT YOU SEE ALONG THE WAY

Departing from the pier, you travel back in time to The Rocks, Sydney's birthplace. Continuing on through the city center, your drive also takes in King's Cross, the reputed entertainment district and Paddington, a trendy artists' haven of steep hills and attractive Victorian terraces with cast-iron detailing. You also pass Sydney's Chinatown and the Sydney Entertainment Centre built close to the banks of Darling Harbour, a lively waterfront precinct that throbs with activity both day and night.

SPECIAL NOTES

This tour is available to passengers disembarking in Sydney and departing on the same day with flights after 3PM, passengers who have extended stays in Sydney, and/or to passengers in transit between voyages.

Passengers with Princess Air should book a customized air flight ticket to be sure they can participate on a tour the day of disembarkation. Passengers without a customized air flight may not be booked on a flight which will permit them to participate on a tour on the day of disembarkation.

Passengers should choose a departure for this tour based on the following -

SYD-917A - Disembarking passengers - ends at airport

SYD-917B - Disembarking passengers - ends at CruisePlus Hotel

SYD-917C - Disembarking or Intransit passengers - ends at pier

You might want to one of the ship's disembarkation tours. There are a number of tours available.

Example:

Debark Tour - Sydney City Sights

Survey Sydney's most celebrated sights on a narrated drive about town. Take in sweeping views of the Opera House, Sydney skyline and harbor from the rock formation called Mrs. Macquairie's Chair. See Chinatown and the city's celebrated bohemian district en route to Bondi Beach - Australia's most famous strand of golden sand.

PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES

Mrs. Macquarie's Chair - The viewpoint is directly east of the Opera House, on the eastern edge of the Royal Botanic Gardens and provides excellent views west across the harbor to the Harbour Bridge and the mountains in the far distance. Looking north and east you can see Kirribilli House, Pinchgut Island and the Navy Dockyards at Wooloomooloo.

Bondi Beach - One of Sydney's most eclectic and exciting precints and the most celebrated beach in the country with its 1km of golden-sand. A visit to this area gives you a chance to experience its carefree, sundrenched lifestyle.

WHAT YOU SEE ALONG THE WAY

Departing from the pier, you travel back in time to The Rocks, Sydney's birthplace. Continuing on through the city center, your drive also takes in King's Cross, the reputed entertainment district and Paddington, a trendy artists' haven of steep hills and attractive Victorian terraces with cast-iron detailing. You also pass Sydney's Chinatown and the Sydney Entertainment Centre built close to the banks of Darling Harbour, a lively waterfront precinct that throbs with activity both day and night.

SPECIAL NOTES

This tour is available to passengers disembarking in Sydney and departing on the same day with flights after 3PM, passengers who have extended stays in Sydney, and/or to passengers in transit between voyages.

Passengers with Princess Air should book a customized air flight ticket to be sure they can participate on a tour the day of disembarkation. Passengers without a customized air flight may not be booked on a flight which will permit them to participate on a tour on the day of disembarkation.

Passengers should choose a departure for this tour based on the following -

SYD-917A - Disembarking passengers - ends at airport

SYD-917B - Disembarking passengers - ends at CruisePlus Hotel

SYD-917C - Disembarking or Intransit passengers - ends at pier

We enjoyed this tour as part of a Princess pre-cruise 3 night hotel stay. The other tour out of Sydney to the Blue Mountains & Olympic park was also good but not sure it's available for ending up at SYD the day of disembarkation.

Generally I am with those staying onboard as long as possible & it's easier having Princess take our luggage off.

Imagine, in your mind, the worst place to maneuver all your luggage

on that ship. The auditorium you say. Well, OK, pick the second worst place.

Yup, the dining rooms. That's where you go.

It was the only part of the cruise we hated. Having to push so many

people out-of-the-way and cut-off all the rest...it was very tiring!

Just kidding.:eek:

Next time we plan to be some of the last ones off the ship; eat a breakfast,

maybe down a quart of our island-bought-rum (which was delivered

to our door from the 'naughty room'), and maybe catch a few Zzzz's,

wait for the crowds to leave, and just stroll off. We always have

one of the kids pick us up since we live about 4 miles west of Terminal 2.

For us..."what's the big rush"?

Imagine, in your mind, the worst place to maneuver all your luggage

on that ship. The auditorium you say. Well, OK, pick the second worst place.

Yup, the dining rooms. That's where you go.

It was the only part of the cruise we hated. Having to push so many

people out-of-the-way and cut-off all the rest...it was very tiring!

Just kidding.:eek:

Next time we plan to be some of the last ones off the ship; eat a breakfast,

maybe down a quart of our island-bought-rum (which was delivered

to our door from the 'naughty room'), and maybe catch a few Zzzz's,

wait for the crowds to leave, and just stroll off. We always have

one of the kids pick us up since we live about 4 miles west of Terminal 2.

For us..."what's the big rush"?

We have not had an issue.

Maybe its because we get up early and don't arrive at the DR in the middle of the rush.

You can't get there 5 minutes before they walk off and expect things to be quiet and organized.

One thing I have to say, in my experience, that Holland America does better than Princess is the self-disembarkation. We had early self-disembarkation on our last 2 Holland America cruises. Please don't flame me, I am not a HAL cheerleader, in fact quite the opposite, I prefer Princess over HAL. Holland America allows you to stay in your cabin until called. It would seem to me that this is a better plan, because that way, people are dispersed through-out the ship and arrive at the gangway at various times, due to the different amount of time it takes you to get to the gangway. It seems to me that having everyone congregate at a specified point, only makes the problem worse. On our last Princess cruise we had a very early disembarkation, due to having to catch a train. We walked down to the dining room and immediately upon arrival, were told that we could disembark. It would have been nice if we could have just been able to go directly to the gangway.

I also remember in 2004 being on the Coral Princess disembarking in Fort Lauderdale. We sat near the atrium for probably about an hour. It was very frustrating, our car was sitting in the parking garage, and we were'nt allowed off the ship until about 10:30. Hope it has improved since then.

Because HAL allows you to stay in your cabin until disembarkation, that means that your cabin won't be ready for hours after boarding. I would much rather be able to board the ship, go right to my cabin and start my cruise than be forced to go up to the lido with all my stuff and sit there for an hour or two.

Several years ago, Princess implemented "silent" disembarkation. Instead of general public announcements, you are directed to go to a specific bar, lounge, dining room, etc. and that's where they make the announcements. No more crowds hanging around the Atrium, blocking the steps, etc. As I never plan to be in a rush off the ship, I haven't experienced the crowds or disorganization that others have reported. I go to the lounge, wait for my color to be called, exit, pick up my luggage in a minute or under, and exit.

Several years ago, Princess implemented "silent" disembarkation. Instead of general public announcements, you are directed to go to a specific bar, lounge, dining room, etc. and that's where they make the announcements. No more crowds hanging around the Atrium, blocking the steps, etc.

This works extremely well when the disembarkation actually occurs about the time it is scheduled to.

However, if there is a delay, the assigned venues fill up with later scheduled groups before the earlier groups can leave the ship.

This works extremely well when the disembarkation actually occurs about the time it is scheduled to.

However, if there is a delay, the assigned venues fill up with later scheduled groups before the earlier groups can leave the ship.

True. No matter what, it works better in general than the "old" system. I think some people who decide to do self-disembarkation don't realize that in some cases, they're "saving" only five minutes or so. I guess I don't see the need to rush off the ship. For my cruise in June, I had a choice of a 10:30am and a 1:30pm flight; we chose the later flight so we wouldnt have to stress over making the earlier flight. I have no doubt we'd make the earlier flight (Newark and the ship docks in Bayonne) but I'd rather wait in the airport than rush. :)

Archived