FLU Shot?

RMM34667

This is stricly a personal choice for many and despends on several factors. I get my flu shot yearly along with the H1N1 shot last year. I work with children who are little germ transmitters ;) This year I also got my Tdap shot as well because of the increse in whopping cough. Knock on wood we have not had a case of the flu in years but I suspect that it's a combination of good hygiene, eating healthy and getting enough sleep along with the vaccine.

The H1N1 (swine flu) vaccine is combined in the formula for this season's flu shot (2010-2011), so getting the flu shot this fall for the upcoming flu season will protect you against both if you did not get the separate H1N1 shot last year when it was offered. No problem getting it twice (last year separate and in this season's shot)

Now that I'm a senior, I do make sure I take time to get my flu shot. I was hoping it was effective against the Norovirus...bummer that it isn't ! Someone in here mentioned taking Twinnix...is that for Hepatitis? Is this mostly for the ports-of-call ?

Since I joined CC, I've worried about quite a few things that I would not have given a moment's thought to normally! :p

Yes it is for Hepatitis and yes for the ports of call. :p

I get a flu shot every year, more important this year because I'm in healthcare and work with kids. I love kids, but they're walking petri dishes, and no matter how many times you wash your hands, it's unavoidable, you will get some sort of illness from them until your body gets used to it. I don't get the flu shot because of cruising, never even thought about that before. I had H1N1 flu last year, and it was absolutely awful, the sickest I have been in my entire life, no way do I ever want a repeat of something like that. I also was required to have a tetanus booster, which comes with the diptheria and pertussis as well, so if I cut myself in port, guess I should be protected from tetanus.

Yes it is for Hepatitis and yes for the ports of call. :p

Twinrix is protection against Hepatitis A (epidemic in the Caribbean) and Hepatitis B

You used to have to get 3 Hep B shots for protection against Hep B and 2 Hep A shots to protect against Hep A

Now 3 Twinrix give you protection against both.

No immunization against Hep C yet (the cause of most Liver transplants in the US is due to Liver failure from the Hep C virus)

Archived