FLU Shot?

RMM34667

I always get a flu shot but for the last couple of years I have been planning trips in Oct or Nov and I am always flying into busy airports like Orlando, Chicago, Denver. I make sure I get the shot 2 weeks (or more) before I go. If I were not going on trips then I might wait until Dec to get my shot. But in regards to your question I don't like being around that many people without a flu shot.

I always get a flu shot but for the last couple of years I have been planning trips in Oct or Nov and I am always flying into busy airports like Orlando, Chicago, Denver. I make sure I get the shot 2 weeks (or more) before I go. If I were not going on trips then I might wait until Dec to get my shot. But in regards to your question I don't like being around that many people without a flu shot.

I agree....did it early this year because we had a September cruise. I also take "Air Born" with me when I cruise....especially in the winter.

I get the flu shot annually - not because I cruise - but because the doctor I see strongly recommends it.

There has only been one exception to this -

last year due to the swine flu pandemic alert - I did get the specific swine flu shot due to travel in Mexico

Nope. I used to get them because I thought with working in health care that I was more prone to contacting the flu virus, but still got it every year regardless. Decided to quit getting the flu shot and have not had the flu since (4 years now - including last year's H1N1)! I'm with elcuchio24, I'll let my immune system keep me healthy.

My husband and I get a flu shot every year. However, the timing varies. Whenever we're traveling in the fall, we make sure we get it beforehand. Even though my company provides free shots, we paid for them this year prior to traveling. The company provided shots weren't yet available. I hate hearing multiple people coughing and hacking on an airplane, knowing that the air is recycling germs throughout. I'm not a germaphobe, but being on an airplane is really close quarters.

I have been getting the standard flu shot for the last few years because we cruise. I did not get the H1N1 last year because it was so new. I was hesitant to get the flu/H1N1 combined shot this year because of fear. However, because we had a cruise coming up this Monday, I got the shot two weeks ago. :D

Now, we are having to worry about the Noro...early this year. :(

Nope. I used to get them because I thought with working in health care that I was more prone to contacting the flu virus, but still got it every year regardless. Decided to quit getting the flu shot and have not had the flu since (4 years now - including last year's H1N1)! I'm with elcuchio24, I'll let my immune system keep me healthy.

Haven't taken a sick day in 6 years. If you're in a 'at risk' group, that's one thing. But I think the medical establishment is pretty cavalier in prescribing shots/antibiotics for just about anything these days.

Not JUST BECAUSE of cruising, I get one every year because I am a teacher, but I think that having a flu shot beforehand would be a bonus if you are cruising during flu season.

Thanks for the reminder, though, I had my shot last week, but hubby hasn't had his yet and our cruise in Dec is coming up fast. Time for him to roll up his sleeve!

I am heading out to get a flu shot and was wondering if anyone else gets one JUST BECAUSE they will be getting on a ship with a few thousand others??

Tick Tock... (14 DAYS)

We get flu shots every year, cruise or no cruise, its just the smart thing to do!

I'll join this group. Never had one, never will and don't get the flu.

Archived