FLU Shot?

RMM34667

I always get the flu shot, more for the protection of my patients, who are a vulnerable population. It would be terrible for them if they contracted the flu from me while they are in the hospital. You can be contagious before you are even ill, and someone who is already in a precarious position really doesn't need to add insult to injury.

I've had the flu once. It was horrible, horrible, absolutely horrible.

Now, we are having to worry about the Noro...early this year. :(

For that I got my hand santizer, clorox wipes and today I found pocket sized cans of lysol spray.. That way if there was a break out I could even spray slot machines before playing!! I'm not paranoid, I just don't want ANYTHING to disrupt my only vacation this year!

I had the flu - really bad - in college! I was in the infirmary for a week.

Once you have it, you do not want it again! :eek:

i agree!! had it 2 times in my life, and it's not fun. and people who say they have the "flu" but can walk, talk, get out of bed DON'T have the flu!

it hits like a ton of bricks, and you are in BED whether or not you want to be.

i have gotten mine for about 15 years, and will do so forever.

now it's dr. recommended, i'm DT2.

it's your call.

audrey

I get the flu shot every year because of my job, not because of a cruise. Not a bad idea, though. I work in a big box store where everyone runs in to get something to make them feel better when they do get sick. No sick days for years (surgery excepted), been getting the shots since the mid 70's.

I'm 67 and got my first flu shot ever. Yes it's because I'll be cruising for 10 days in January. I've pushed my luck for too long. I've had the flu 3 x in my life: in my teens, in my 30's, and on my 50th birthday (spoiled a surprise b-d party). Dh refuses to have one.

I guess I got mine just in time. I was told while getting it today that it takes 2 weeks to be effective. (two weeks till I set sail on the Legend!) She told me people come in to get a flu shot and say.. "I'm getting on a plane tomorrow".. opps guess it's not gonna help!

Now that I'm a senior, I do make sure I take time to get my flu shot. I was hoping it was effective against the Norovirus...bummer that it isn't ! Someone in here mentioned taking Twinnix...is that for Hepatitis? Is this mostly for the ports-of-call ?

Since I joined CC, I've worried about quite a few things that I would not have given a moment's thought to normally! :p

I wasn't going to get one until I got back from my cruise, but as a health care worker, when they were giving them at work a few days ago, it turned out to be good timing as we leave in a week. :D Got the kids done too, they were not happy, but too many people on the planes and ship to take a chance, bad enough with noro virus.:eek: Wash your hands!:)

EMOSEWA:cool:

The Tdap vaccine is a 3 in 1 for whopping cough (a rising public health concern on the west coast) tetanus booster and diptheria. I got that and the flu shot on the advice of my doctor because I am doing the 9 day Spirit to Mexico cruise in January. Some docs suggest adults get a tetanus booster every ten years. Tetanus is a bacteria that lives in soil which causes lockjaw. You would be protected if you were to get a cut while on a shore excursion by receiving the booster prior to travel. Again, many doctors suggest this, not all.

Archived