Slide Technique

gargoyle999

I have never been on a water slide before but one of my "will try for the first time" things on my cruises next month is to give it a go!

So when you are going down is it better to have your arms down so your hands are by your waist or up so your hands are above your head?

Is there a right and wrong technique for the slide? Guess going down head first isn't allowed? That's how I like to go snow tubing! :D

Tho I didn't use the slide on the Miracle, the girls did...

there is definitely a 'trick' to it..apparently you have to arch your back a 'certain' way in order to NOT get stuck half way down.

Now, my girls are peanuts...skinny like I wish I was.. and they got stuck.

Not much of a thrill..unless you count being stuck midway and laughing your butt off....:cool:

Arms over your head, back arched (off the slide) you'll get the most out of the slide that way.

Some "pros" told us before we went down the slide to lay as flat as you can with your arms straight down on the sides of your body, and keep your head down flat too. It worked... we flew down that thing!

There is no right or wrong way. Just throw yourself down and away you go. Hand/arm technique? What ever works best for you. Have fun.

Might not be a right or wrong way... it just depends on whether you want to go down pretty fast, or get stuck halfway down. ;)

Ya Know you can go down the slide as many times as you like right? :D Heck, you could try all the various techniques to your hearts content. ;) My GF seemed to get stuck everytime she went. :rolleyes: Me, I must be aerodynamically effecient because I swear I went about a 1000 MPH down that thing. My mouth made a wonderful water scoop as I screamed going down. :eek: Good fun. :p

I agree that you can get stuck on some of the slides (I go down them all the time). The Fantasy class Waterworks slides are the best. You can get going fairly well without any "technique". The Conquest Class and Spirit Class slides do best if you apply some sort of method to get the water flowing underneath you. Personally I keep my arms down by my side, push up with my elbows and ankles while arching my back. That allows the water to flow under me and I zoom down the slides. If I lay flat then I go really slow and sometimes stall. The Spirit class slides are the worst with regards to this.

Tho I didn't use the slide on the Miracle, the girls did...

there is definitely a 'trick' to it..apparently you have to arch your back a 'certain' way in order to NOT get stuck half way down.

Now, my girls are peanuts...skinny like I wish I was.. and they got stuck.

Not much of a thrill..unless you count being stuck midway and laughing your butt off....:cool:

If you are on a Fantasy class ship with the new Evolutions of Fun, you will have three slides to choose from. They are all good. I never did the slides on a cruise until we went on the Fantasy right after its upgrade. It was fun.

I have never been on a water slide before but one of my "will try for the first time" things on my cruises next month is to give it a go!

So when you are going down is it better to have your arms down so your hands are by your waist or up so your hands are above your head?

Is there a right and wrong technique for the slide? Guess going down head first isn't allowed? That's how I like to go snow tubing! :D

Here's my DH going down the slide! Thats how he went down the slide ohhhh....about 300 times that week :D

40241_1485450863475_1449996658_1240942_919027_n.jpg.cd2cbaedf3e94a6a6afb5480ee89c504.jpg

Go ahead and slide even if your in your 60's! Or 70's, any age. There's no rule saying only young people can have fun. Go for it! And besides, the grandkids will love it. In my 60's and still sliding.

FYI, close your eyes at the bottom, the spash pool is salt water.

I've only been down waterslide one time---a few weeks ago on the Freedom. First, I'm terrified of water, second, yes, I know it's only a few inches deep even at the end. After some friends went down one time and came back up to do it again, I let them talk me into going down the slide. The signs say to lay down with arms above your head, so I did. I know I must have screamed going down, but my heart was pounding so hard I couldn't hear myself!

Well, I went down fast and furious, no sticking for me! I just reached the bottom sooner than I expected and ended up with salt water in my nose, mouth, eyes, everything because I stopped while laying down. Thought I was drowning! I jerked up and was frantically reaching for my friend (standing there laughing) to get me out of there! Of course, there is video of this whole thing! A big splash of water with nothing but a pair of feet showing!

Do it again? No, not me, but glad I did it once!

Archived