No more Comp Upgrades

floridaphilly

We have just been told that as of 2 months ago there will no longer be any complimentary upgrades. This is a bit silly since if there are rooms sitting empty, why not make some loyal guests feel a bit special with a little surprise. We understand it is not always possible but why be so rigis about it?

In my view this move by Seabourn is a mistake. They are severely limiting their options in terms of their yield management system. It also discriminates against their loyal customers who book early. Why should late bookers who are enticed with special fares get the benefits associated with the more expensive cabins?

As the departure date gets closer these cabins are like airline seats. They are perishable commodities. The most loyal customers (however you want to describe them) should be treated as truly valued people with upgrades. That's what my status on my airline of choice does for me and it makes full sense.

I expect more on this question will follow.

In a fair system those who pay the most should get the best suites - if Seabourn change their system along with the price rises this might happen, but if 'guarantees' and last minute very cheap offers continue it probably won't. Offering upgrades fairly would currently involve extra work - phone calls some 3 or 4 weeks before departure, etc. Silversea did this for us, twice, a few years ago - I don't know if they still do; or how upgrades have worked with Seabourn. We have never had one in well over 100 days, but have found that friends who paid much less for a guarantee ended up in a much more expensive suite than ours.

Not good for customer relations! A good job we love the ships - but not the back office. Hope they are listening.

Could it be how much pull the TA has? A high volume agency might be able to get upgrades. I book through AAA and got an upgrade on the first cruise. I guess I'll see what happens when I get to the ship this time. I have a guarantee room. I'll be happy with any room as long as I'm cruising.

Gene

So it seems the best/only way to get an "upgrade" now is to roll the dice and reserve a guarantee cabin category and hope for the best.

Of course the trade off here is that one can't get that "special favorite" cabin reserved up front, and has to take a bit of a chance.

One would think that with the small capacity on these sailings, that the sailing finalizer could have a look and see who is worthy by virtue of Seabourn days in the "bank" or actual fare paid.

However, being bitter about someone elses good fortune is just not good sportsmanship! :)

We were on a September 18 cruise on the Spirit. A few days before we left, we were upgraded and that was less than 2 months ago. Not a huge upgrade but appreciated--from an A3 to a B3 if I remember correctly.

Our travel agent sends very few on Seabourn; she concentrates on Regent. So I doubt she had much pull with Seabourn. We have been on Regent several times but this was our first Seabourn cruise. We loved Seabourn!

Iramack - I am not in the least 'bitter' about anyone getting an upgrade - no doubt sometimes people who do a guarantee get the least desirable suite. I only entered this discussion because most of us do like to see fairness.

I never discuss with others on board what anyone has paid, but obviously did know about this particular instance, as I knew the passengers involved. And yes, I do feel that the sailing 'finalizer' could sort this one out, as you mention. It just involves a little work!

We actually received a memo asking if we wanted to pay to upgrade. When we said no we then asked about complimentary upgrades even the day of embarkation and we were told they would not do that anymore.

So essentially you think SB has implemented a new "no comp upgrade" policy after you (1) turned down their offer of a paid upgrade, and then (2) asked for a free upgrade?

If that's the case, well, I'm not so sure how else SB could respond to you. If they were to say yes or maybe to your free upgrade wish, that action would indeed be quite silly, as it would compromise their business model of up-selling to selected passengers at a strategic point in time. Furthermore, with the internet and boards such as this, it would take no time for news to travel fast and wide, so that would pretty much spell the end of many up-selling initiatives by SB.

I'd think SB can and will continue to offer comp upgrades, on their terms and at their choosing. At least I hope so. If anyone knows for a fact that there is indeed such a policy, please advise!

I don't think that there is a concrete complimentary upgrade policy. I think that we'll be seeing cruise lines offer paid upgrades in the couple months prior to sailing; it'll help them maximize revenue. Especially with how depressed prices remain. I for one tend to book guarantee rooms, with the expectation of getting the least desirable room (though usually still a nice room). If I was offered a paid upgrade before sailing, I would definitely consider paying (depending on cost/location). That all being said, we were upgraded on our July cruise and we booked with a high volume Seabourn agent

CDW

This October I booked a guaranteed veranda (V1) on the Sojourn for the November 19, 2010 sailing and was just assigned a V5 suite. I guess there is a chance for an upgrade when making a guaranteed booking as opposed to booking a specific suite.

SB will not upgrade when you ask for it.

That makes complete sense. I bet they will continue to upgrade in a manner which best suits their business model.

Wripro. What evidence do you have to confirm they will not upgrade if you ask? Why do you think it makes sense? And to whom - you, Seabourn or the rest of us?

No doubt you would win your bet as any sane business would do what is best for its business. Do you have personal knowlege of the " Business model" used by Seabourn? I am sure that many on this board would be interested if you could share it with us. It may even shed light on the closed dining room experiment . details of which do not seem forthcoming from Seabourn

And by the way, I have asked ( as one surely would if you desire an upgrade) and been upgraded. Naturally I was grateful.

I would be grateful if you could find the time to reply.

I was just upgraded from a guarantee a to a v3 on the Odyssey for Nov 13 sailing. So they are upgrading but like previous post stated not sure if it is only for guarantee bookings.

I think this is correct - it is a lot easier just to put people where there is space than to contact those who have specified suites and offer them an upgrade; though we have had this done more than once on Silversea in the past. No doubt it seems like too much hard work for the office? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The end of October I booked the Odyssey for a May 2011 sailing, and our travel agent was told there were no A1 guarantee spaces available on either of the dates we were looking at. This seems a little surprising for a cruise so far in the future -- unless SB is not doing guarantees any longer? Or perhaps SB allots only a certain number per cruise and when they're gone, they're gone? Has anyone else had the experience recently of not being able to make a guarantee booking?

>"This seems a little surprising for a cruise so far in the future --"

I don't think that 6 months out is a long time. After all, payment is due in a mere three months then. Many cruisers book over a year in advance to get the pricing/accommodations they want. I usually book at least 9-12 months ahead, unless I get a last minute craving for breadsticks.

Archived