Carry off our own bags?

mexico5

Why is this an issue for you?

Thousands of folks do this every day and I have yet to hear of someone's luggage being lost or stolen as a result....

This did happen once to us, although as it turned out our bag was merely misplaced and not lost or stolen; that is, we eventually got it back.

It was several years ago, and the ship was a bit delayed in starting debarkation. We had booked a HAL transfer to the airport to catch our flight. We got off when our color/number were called, and could not find one of our bags. We searched all of the other numbers in our color (although it was not perfectly so, there were sort of arranged by number within the color holding area), and I tried scanning all the other color holding areas, but we were running out of time, so I reported the situation to a HAL rep who helped me fill out a form describing the piece of luggage, contact info, etc.

We had put a tag on the bag, and included our contact info inside on a 3x5 card as well. We caught our bus and our flight, and figured we were probably out about two loads of dirty laundry :D, but the bag showed up a couple of days later. HAL had found it, forwarded it by air, and arranged delivery to our home.

An accompanying document said that the bag had been inadvertantly put into the area for the same number, but different color, in the debarkation hall. Whether it was some poor unfortunate who was color-blind and did not know it, or other simple human error, our bag did go astray that one time. But, HAL got it back to us, so it all turned out. I had forgotten about it until I read your post.

Dave

Real curious, can any one who has ever disembarked a HAL ship, factually say that they have been asked on their disembarkation form whether or not they are carrying off their own luggage, and the number of pieces and the size of the pieces ?

I believe people are taking the fact that if you want to disembark early, that at many ports you have to be able to handle your own luggage, and somehow erroneously equating that to if you are carrying off your own luggage, you have to be in the first group off the ship, which I don't believe is true.

I've been on many cruises and have never had to indicate whether or not I was handling my own luggage. The only time it was relevant was disembarking early in the morning in Ft. Lauderdale. At that time I had to handle my own luggage because no porters were available at that hour. On other cruises, I departed the ship at a time corresponding to my travel arrangements. I was asked about travel times, but never about whether I was handling my luggage. That meant that I disembarked with a color coded group regardless of the fact that I carried my own luggage. The cruise line has no idea how much luggage your brought with you, or whether you put out anything the night before.

Over many years, my wife and I have evolved into very efficient, and light, packers. Each of us can handle our luggage quite easily. For us, this is the way to go.

Why is this an issue for you?

Thousands of folks do this every day and I have yet to hear of someone's luggage being lost or stolen as a result...

You're an experienced cruiser too - It shouldn't come as a surprise that these things are well attended to and having the luggage carried off for you is much easier and will allow you the extra time in the morning to sleep in and relax as you appear to desire.

Who cares why it is an issue for us...but since you want to know...it has happened to us! Being an "experienced cruiser" does not make your luggage any safer:rolleyes:

I think we have some miscommunication here. The self-help program is really intended for people who want to be the first off the ship and are REQUIRED to carry off their own bags. If you really want to leave late and carry off your own bags I think all you have to do is say you have a late flight. You will get a certain color luggage tag for the bags you want the crew to take off for you (In your case none). When the time your color is called you simply walk off the ship with your carryons (In your case everything). Is that what you want to do? If so, I don't think it would be a problem (more experienced HAL cruisers please correct me).

Not everyone's cup of tea but if you really want it this should work.

Roy

Thanks Roy that is what we would like to do! I guess we can find out on the ship what the correct procedure is..not a big deal...just like to carry our own bags off and we travel pretty light!

Just speaking for myself it is a pain to put your bags out before. To make sure you don't even carry off toothpaste in your carry on is a pain. It is what it is however, and needs to be done. Doesn't mean you have to be happy about it. At least HAL lets you put your bags out fairly late. Princess suggests that they be out by dinner time which is impossible for me.

Yes fellow Calgarian...we were on Princess and they required the bags out so early...it was very difficult! Kept thinking I would forget something important that I needed for the morning!

Yes fellow Calgarian...we were on Princess and they required the bags out so early...it was very difficult! Kept thinking I would forget something important that I needed for the morning!

As long as you have PJs, undies, & something to wear in the am, you should be good to go! (we wear the same thing for the night before for disbarkation)

Keep your bags with you all night, pack and leave just like you are leaving a hotel room. No one cares as long as you are gone by the deadline and can manage on your own. We have done this on every cruise as we take only what we can carry if we have to. Either a carryon each for 7 night in warm climate or a carryon each and one larger between us for 10-12 night in cooler climate. We have seen many people who cannot get their huge bags off the luggage carrosel at the airport or up and down stairs in some airports.We have seen some who thought a ship's transfer meant there would be someone to get their luggage off the carrosel and onto the bus for them. The less pounds you have to wrestle with the better!

I believe this is incorrect. It is my understanding that if you want to carry off luggage that is larger, or more numerous, than customary carry-ons, then you must be in the first---self-disembarkation---group.

The reason for this is to get those with more/larger pieces of luggage out of the way of those who just have carry-ons. Too many people, with too much luggage, would interfere with the disembarkation of the larger groups called later.

I believe Ruth (and others) are correct. I think if there were alot of people carrying off their own luggage, the elevators and hallways would get more crowded than they are. Maybe we could have DBA chime in here?

On our HAL cruise we signed up for self-disembarkation. We were told we could leave the ship anytime we wanted after the first call. We did need to disembark early so wanted to make sure there was not delay getting our luggage. Since that cruise we decided we would always use self-disembarkation. That way you can keep your luggage until it is time to leave. We prefer it that way.

• 2 months later...
I am completly new to this, but doesn't the airport have rules about your bags being in your custody at all times? Again, new to this!

Must be a special arrangement between the cruiseline and the airlines. They have been doing this for a few years now, and it works really well, especially for those who have a late flight out and want to do some touring before their flight.

That is, provided you can truly handle lugging down the gang plank, into the main disembarkation building and out to the street. One of the reasons to pack very light (after 16 cruises we are down to one 21" suitcase between us, even for a 14-day cruise). Getting off Princess 2 years ago, it took us a couple of hours (almost missed our flight) to find our single suitcase under the wrong color in a section we were not even allowed in until the very end! But whatever the system, one has to be out of one's cabin and in a central waiting area with hundreds of other passengers by a set time to allow the stewards to prepare the cabins for the incoming crowd!

Archived