Holland America Vs. Princess Vs. Royal Caribbean

Dr Gonzo

Hi Everyone,

I know this has probaly been asked a hundred times. I am new here and to cruising in general. I am looking to go on a cruise this fall and have it narrowed down to Holland America, Princess and Royal Caribbean. I am wondering what is your impressions of the three lines. I am just looking for a 7 day cruise and I want the best cruise line.

Thanks for your help

I haven't cruised with Royal Caribbean, but I have with HAL and Princess. Each of those is a good product. I find HAL to be a step above. More classic elegance aboard a Holland America ship, and generally speaking, a more "experienced" cruiser.

Mary ellen is right---what's "best" for one isn't "best" for the other.

I can tell you that HAL is a traditional style cruiseline. The ships look like ships. There are fresh flowers everywhere. Crew members will look you in the eye and greet you as you pass. Lounge stewards will greet you by name on your second visit; and :) will remember your drink of preference and cabin #.

If you like a quiet, relaxed time to read a book, or meet well-traveled fellow passengers you will enjoy HAL. If you want a loud, energized atmosphere with lots of pool games and belly-flop contests you do not want HAL.

Mary ellen is right---what's "best" for one isn't "best" for the other.

I can tell you that HAL is a traditional style cruiseline. The ships look like ships. There are fresh flowers everywhere. Crew members will look you in the eye and greet you as you pass. Lounge stewards will greet you by name on your second visit; and :) will remember your drink of preference and cabin #.

If you like a quiet, relaxed time to read a book, or meet well-traveled fellow passengers you will enjoy HAL. If you want a loud, energized atmosphere with lots of pool games and belly-flop contests you do not want HAL.

Welcome aboard the best education available in crusing! You are in the right place for all of the questions a newbe will ever have. :D

Most first time cruisers will choose a 7 day adventure ---but only for the first time out!:D or is that :eek: !

We are indeed a diverse group, and personal preferences will determine the type of cruise, cruise line, destinations and choices you should make. If you are considering a certain itinerary, ports, shore excursions and the like ..you will find someone here who "has been there - done that". They also share generously with pictures of their experience, reviews, and personal all over

"not-to-miss" adventures.

The above quote by RUTH C has much wisdom! Look for her posts. I do!

I find that THE SEA IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL, so that said..and I do not get sea sick ...I have never had a bad cruise!

As Mariners now with HAL, the only bad day is one when I am not planning the next one. :D

Tell us where & when you want to go. There will be plenty of help.

Not only are there differences between cruise lines, but there is also a very large difference in cruising with the same line on a different sized ship. Sometimes ship age makes a difference, so will pax capacity, time of year, etc...

There is a significant difference on amneties available on 3500 pax ships VS those with 2000 or less, within the same cruise line.....And not the least of which could very well be your cabin selection...Some would just be content with any cabin, others are able and willing to pay more for balconies, suites, etc...

Happy cruising..

On my recent cruise on the RCCL Navigator, the food was not nearly as good as on any HAL ship I have cruised on. Not as many choices, not as nice a presentation and not nearly as high quality. They did have excellent oatmeal for breakfast.

On my recent cruise on the RCCL Navigator, the food was not nearly as good as on any HAL ship I have cruised on. Not as many choices, not as nice a presentation and not nearly as high quality.

They did have excellent oatmeal for breakfast.

Ooh, that hurts!

We are going to try Holland America for the first time this coming November on the Oosterdam. I am hoping it is a very good experience and from what I've read here it should be a GREAT experience.

That said, we've sailed Royal Caribbean 5 times on nearly every class ship they have. The food on the Explorer (Voyager class) wasn't as good as the others and I think it's partly because the ship is just too big.

The Serenade, Vision and Monarch were all superb.

I have enjoyed Royal Caribbean tremendously and am a little nervous about HAL because, "why fix what isn't broke?"

I think RCCL is aimed more towards activity, with their rock climbing walls, miniature golf and basketball courts. Some ships have roller skating tracks, ice skating arenas and even pool tables at sea. They really provide a lot of fun for your cruise.

I think all three, Princess, Holland America and Royal Caribbean will give you a great cruise.

Hi Dr. Gonzo...I'm 31 and dh is 40. We've sailed on HAL and RCL and enjoyed both lines. I would not hesitate to book either...but I'll look at the itinerary and ship and then make my decision.

The Brilliance of the Seas is the most beautiful ship I've sailed on...and would not hesitate sailing her (or her sisters) again. She's much different than a HAL ship. HAL lends itself to a more traditional feel...where service and personal touches come into play.

If you're going without the kids and looking for a nice, relaxed trip...I say go with HAL. But you should (if you haven't done so already) post this same question on the other boards. As stated earlier...what's right for one is not right for all.

What ever you decide...remember this: there's no such thing as a bad cruise (IMHO)

Good Luck!

We agree totally with Sinbad 37 - We've never been on a cruise we didn't like! Have cruised all sizes of ships on Princess and RCL plus others. Next month we will try HA for the first time - an anniversary family cruise. We are hoping our teenage grandchildren will enjoy it as they are all experienced cruisers and love the cruise experience as we all do. We're sailing on Oosterdam and looking forward to a wonderful cruise vacation. Will be able to compare after our first HA cruise.

Like many above have stated so much depends on the time of the year and the size of the ship!

We have been on all three -- HAL, Princess, & RCL -- MANY times.

On HAL be SURE ... BE VERY SURE ... you actually want a laid back cruise! We normally like HAL for cruises with a "port entensive" itinerary because we like coming back to a quiet ship.

RCL is our "party ship" cruise line! :D No lack of activities on these ships!

Sometimes we "just want to have fun" on a cruise! :p

Princess is an old favorite of ours. Especially, we've enjoyed the lounge/bar entertainment on Princess ships. Love all of the UK cruisers we've met over the years ....

Not mentioned ... but don't forget about Celebrity!

Very cruise line/ship has something great to offer! We've always have a good time on all of them!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

RCL is our "party ship" cruise line! :D No lack of activities on these ships!

Sometimes we "just want to have fun" on a cruise! :p

Certainly would agree with your entire post, especially those comments above. I also like a change of pace from HAL. Getting anxious for Splendour sailing on 2/26, pier just an hour away, and have made platimun status with RCL. Looking forward to a great cruise... If they have a tribute to Lawrence Welk, I'll jump overboard....icon10.gif

Happy cruising....

Archived