Grandeur out of Colon, Panama???

sr5242

I am considering taking my mother on the Grandeur out of Colon, Panama. Has anyone taken this? thoughts on it?

there was a disclaimer saying the cruise was mainly booked by residents of latin america and thus the cruise, ship dialect/language, entertainment and food would be geared toward those guests. this was a bit offputting.

can anyone share any experiences or thoughts about this cruise?

thanks!

I am considering taking my mother on the Grandeur out of Colon, Panama. Has anyone taken this? thoughts on it?

there was a disclaimer saying the cruise was mainly booked by residents of latin america and thus the cruise, ship dialect/language, entertainment and food would be geared toward those guests. this was a bit offputting.

can anyone share any experiences or thoughts about this cruise?

thanks!

We sailed on the Enchantment out of Colon this past spring. There were certainly a lot of Latinos on board, but plenty of other people of all races and colors as well. The food was the standard RC menu so nothing different there. All announcements were made in English, although most were made in Spanish as well. At the beginning of some shows, the CD or whoever was up there would sometimes introduce the show in both languages, but I think most were actually presented in English. We only watched one though so I can't say for sure. One night in the piano bar the entertainment WAS all Latin music and the piantist spoke Spanish almost entirely, but we enjoyed it none the less. Bolero's usually plays Latin-themed music anyway, and so it was a real hotspot for Latinos on the cruise, especially the night of the salsa contest, but again-- we had a very good time. All in all I wouldn't hesitate to book another cruise out of Colon. Go and enjoy!

I am working on a review of the Grandeur right now, but it will take me a few days to finish it all.

We had a good time on the Grandeur, but this ship really needs some maintenance. They were having shipwide plumbing problems and lots of elevator problems. Several cabins across from us had no a/c for part of the cruise also. During our cruise, they also had various parts of the ship closed for maintenance (like half of the upper pool deck at a certain time, the other half a different time, etc).

I don't know about your cruise in particular, since it goes from Panama, but they are definitely gearing towards that demographic. Most of what the cruise directors said he would say in English, then immediately repeat in Spanish.

Here's the link to my review, you can see some pictures of the ship there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26742195&posted=1#post26742195

Enchantment for Spring Break...that was a blast out of Colon for our family. Of course we had extended family so with 10 we had enough to keep ourselves entertained...

I did see that many in the CL were from the USA & Canada...and repeat cruisers. Never once felt out of place on the ship and the L/A pax were when I interacted with them all very nice. These are typically more affluent Latinos.

I'd keep my eye on pricing for suites and if they fall to within your price range snag one. The CL will speak English and with his/her help pretty much whatever you want on the ship can happen (ok well keep in mind I am speaking about reasonable requests) which makes for a very nice cruise.

Ports were neat...it was an overall excellent experience.

It was kind of fun being one of only 2 diamond level families aboard etc...

Take the cruise and have a great time!!!

Archived