Gift for room steward

martymonty

[quote name='BeccaBecca1713']OMG!!! I found it! The thread I was talking about with the woman who made a CD for her steward.....Enjoy!!!!

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1249757&highlight=singing+the+shower[/url][/QUOTE]

Thank you.

We usually give a little extra about every other night leave it on the bed with a note that simply says "Thank You your doing a great job" or something like that. We've had stewarts stop us in the hall and say thank you now I have a little extra to spend at a crew party, or in shore on their day off. And yes we've had cabin stewarts who only got the note once as well they were doing their job but just barely. (making bed, turing down bed and new towels once a day that's it nothing more. (if you used all your towels before dinner you better have put them to hang or you'd be outta luck in the am or even worse ice in the morning only the bucket wasn't refilled at turn down)

On our cruise we happened to have a little gadget that pops the stoppers out of sparking wine bottles. When our steward asked if we needed help to pop the bottle, we showed it to him. He loved it, so on the last day we gave it to him, along with an extra cash tip for doing such a great job. Now I have to get us a new one LOL

[url]http://www.winex.com/wine-9321-.aspx?utm_source=Vinquire&utm_medium=WineFeed_thefind&utm_content=Champagne+Opener&utm_campaign=free_listing&v_traceback=c1102_0142_f1102_0208[/url]

This thing is really really easy to use!

I need a LIKE button!!!!

I love Florence! That is the funniest shizz!!! People are crazy!

I love this thread. I love that people need to say CASH in 4 pages of posts. It is fun and funny and it's why I love message boards so much.

So, a question for the hard core pro cruisers....

For a 5 night cruise, HOW MUCH??

TIA,

LOL, this thread made me chuckle 'cause it reminded me of a thread a few months ago where a woman was so proud that she "tipped" her steward with a CD she recorded of herself singing. Whew, that was a real doozie:p

to echo everybody else.......MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!!

The OMG.... girl - did she ever come back and say if she gave the Steward her CD or how her cruise was??

We decided last year that we would learn to make origami out of money and that is what we leave for our room steward, so he leaves us a stingray made out of a towel and we leave him/her a swan made out of money. They love it. :D

Excellent idea!

Totally not a snarky question...

How do you know they love it? They are well trained in the art of customer service. They would never act as if they hated a gift. Even if it was something hideous.

I'd give extra cash because they are working on a cruise ship to support a family. One size fits all.

So how much extra do you tip?

On top of their regular tip,

I give pre paid “Crew Only” Phone / internet cards.These are only available for purchase by the ship’s staff and only for use on board. To get them, I go to the front desk when they are slow and I ask a front desk staffer to by them for me (cash up front) I give the staffer a few $$ for the favor. These cards allow the crew to call /

email home at their convenience and since it is NOT CASH but a gift, they are not obligated to share.

On top of their regular tip,

I give pre paid “Crew Only” Phone / internet cards.These are only available for purchase by the ship’s staff and only for use on board. To get them, I go to the front desk when they are slow and I ask a front desk staffer to by them for me (cash up front) I give the staffer a few $$ for the favor. These cards allow the crew to call /

email home at their convenience and since it is NOT CASH but a gift, they are not obligated to share.

Why would they have to share cash? If I give someone 5 bucks in cash who is going to know its in their pocket or where they got it from. You ended up "giving the staffer a few $$ for the favor" when you could have given the room steward, who typically makes MUCH less than a purser that few $$ along with the price of that phone or internet card and they could have bought the card and still had the few $$!

Why would they have to share cash? If I give someone 5 bucks in cash who is going to know its in their pocket or where they got it from. You ended up "giving the staffer a few $$ for the favor" when you could have given the room steward, who typically makes MUCH less than a purser that few $$ along with the price of that phone or internet card and they could have bought the card and still had the few $$!

Hi Jana60,

I’m sorry my comments did not meet with your approval!!

Have a nice Day!

"cause if you pull the automatic 'tip' and give them cash, they are obligated to pool that money, same as the auto 'tip'.

"cause if you pull the automatic 'tip' and give them cash, they are obligated to pool that money, same as the auto 'tip'.

This is why I always tip a waitress or waiter with cash so they can keep the entire amount (especially if they were bussing their own tables) if they so choose. My adult kids were in the food service area as teenagers and appreciated getting a big hand to hand tip.

I'm not talking about pulling the Auto tip. (Were YOU?) If I were as poor as they I would rather have have a cash tip than a whole phone card so I sure as heck won't pull the Auto tip unless their service was atrocious. I'm talking about the extra tip. Non of their coworkers or boss' have a right to or should have access to that and if its in cash there is no reason for the person to have to let them know.

I will leave an origami folded peacock from a dollar bill with the tip.

Also DH will write a letter to Carnival and mention the people by name who were wonderful to us.

I would love to be the fly on the wall in the cabin attendant's cabin when they discuss idiots like you. Why do you have to make a production of giving them money just to improve your own impoverished self esteem? Just be normal and give them the money in an envelope like the rest of us normal people do.

DON

The cash folded into origami sounds cute and all, but I sometimes wonder if they (stewards) view it as though the pax are trying to make them beg like a dog by having to unravel the thousand folds/creases just to get their dollar (insert visual: the Master holding up a treat and each time the dog tries to get it, he rasies his arm higher). I realize this hopefully wouldn't be most pax intentions, but week after week after week of receiving the origami money would get really old, really fast, especially when I think a lot of pax think they are the first ones to ever do this for their stewards.:rolleyes:

The cash folded into origami sounds cute and all, but I sometimes wonder if they (stewards) view it as though the pax are trying to make them beg like a dog by having to unravel the thousand folds/creases just to get their dollar (insert visual: the Master holding up a treat and each time the dog tries to get it, he rasies his arm higher). I realize this hopefully wouldn't be most pax intentions, but week after week after week of receiving the origami money would get really old, really fast, especially when I think a lot of pax think they are the first ones to ever do this for their stewards.:rolleyes:

Right? THat poster should try paying for anything on land with that most silliest of ideas.

I love this thread! Also love the idea of folding money for the steward, after all they fold our towels. Bet they would get a kick out of it!
It seems a bit demeaning to me to make someone have to unfold their tip. It's like you are making them do tricks to earn it. Would you leave your tip at a restaurant this way? Would you tip the paperboy this way? Would you tip at your hair salon this way? And another person said give hygiene items. That's a bit personal, no? The room stewards are adults and have been chosing their own brands, scents and forms of hygiene items for many years at this point. Who are we to decide they like Crest and not Aim, or powder fresh deoderant roll on instead of foral breeze solid? Ask yourself what you would tip anyone at home in a sevice industry that you are not friends with and have no relationshop with and treat the room steward with the same respect.

It seems a bit demeaning to me to make someone have to unfold their tip. It's like you are making them do tricks to earn it. Would you leave your tip at a restaurant this way? Would you tip the paperboy this way? Would you tip at your hair salon this way? And another person said give hygiene items. That's a bit personal, no? The room stewards are adults and have been chosing their own brands, scents and forms of hygiene items for many years at this point. Who are we to decide they like Crest and not Aim, or powder fresh deoderant roll on instead of foral breeze solid? Ask yourself what you would tip anyone at home in a sevice industry that you are not friends with and have no relationshop with and treat the room steward with the same respect.

On our last cruise our steward was from the Philippines, near Borongan City, Eastern Samar which is where my daughter in law was born. When we found out this coincidence it was easy to strike up a conversation. She was upset when we left the Do Not Disturb sign up so she would not have to clean the room one day and so we could get it comfortably messed up. She really insisted that she didnt mind coming into the room several times a day to tidy up. We told her this was not necessary, to use that time to take a breather and she hugged me. Seeing her smiling face for a week several times per day really felt good....and no, I would not feel it was rude to turn a bunch of $10 bills into a flower for her.

We sometimes tip them extra in the beginning and I can tell you they appreciate it and are room is ALWAYS stocked with fresh ice. :)

This is what we do as well. We always tell them there will be more at the end of the week. We get such great service and they come out probably still in the hole from the folks that stiff them.

Archived