Capri or Amalfi coast

rikkistate

We will have one day docked in Naples. We can't decide between Capri and the Amalfi coast. Does anyone have a suggestion? I have always wanted to see the Amalfi coast but my husband seems really set on Capri. It will be the first week in April.

Good for you for resisting the urge to try and cram in both! They are each lovely in their own way, with amazing views.

This is very broad-brush, but I'd say that Capri is more of an outdoor activity place, with lots of great hiking, walking, swimming, boating, etc.

The Amalfi Coast is a little less so, tending to be more about shopping, a little history and a couple of important churches, in addition to those incredible views along the drive.

I've been to both several times over the past decade and, if I had to choose, I'd go with Capri, but that's because I like the hiking, walking, chair lift to the top of the mountain stuff slightly more than I enjoy what the coast towns have to offer. It's a close call, however.

good for you for resisting the urge to try and cram in both! They are each lovely in their own way, with amazing views.

This is very broad-brush, but i'd say that capri is more of an outdoor activity place, with lots of great hiking, walking, swimming, boating, etc.

The amalfi coast is a little less so, tending to be more about shopping, a little history and a couple of important churches, in addition to those incredible views along the drive.

I've been to both several times over the past decade and, if i had to choose, i'd go with capri, but that's because i like the hiking, walking, chair lift to the top of the mountain stuff slightly more than i enjoy what the coast towns have to offer. It's a close call, however.

i totaly agree with euro cruiser, my good lady and i have done the amalfi coast twice, we have also been to capri twice.

If i had to choose it would have to be capri but only just .

We will have one day docked in Naples. We can't decide between Capri and the Amalfi coast. Does anyone have a suggestion? I have always wanted to see the Amalfi coast but my husband seems really set on Capri. It will be the first week in April.

Maybe if you combine Amalfi coast with Pompeii, you will get more buy in from your husband.

Good for you for resisting the urge to try and cram in both! They are each lovely in their own way, with amazing views.

This is very broad-brush, but I'd say that Capri is more of an outdoor activity place, with lots of great hiking, walking, swimming, boating, etc.

The Amalfi Coast is a little less so, tending to be more about shopping, a little history and a couple of important churches, in addition to those incredible views along the drive.

I've been to both several times over the past decade and, if I had to choose, I'd go with Capri, but that's because I like the hiking, walking, chair lift to the top of the mountain stuff slightly more than I enjoy what the coast towns have to offer. It's a close call, however.

Where do you hike and swim on Capri?

Maybe if you combine Amalfi coast with Pompeii, you will get more buy in from your husband.

I think it is too rushed doing this. I have done both, I recommend doing one or the other so you have time. Amalfi from Naples is a lot of riding with breathtaking views, such as I've not witnessed before. Capri is quaint and charming, taking the ferry there. If I knew I was never going back it would be the Amalfi.:)

Welcome to CC,

I faced simlar decision, decided on Pompeii and Amalfi, have never had one regret. Matter of fact if i was to make it this way again I'd skip Pompeii and spend the whole time along the Amalfi coast again.

But that is me, I read and pictures of Capri look nice too.

We have put quite a few posts on this subject on CC (just search this forum). If you do decide to visit the Amalfi Coast keep in mind that the large tour buses used by the cruise line excursions are not permitted to enter into the town or Positano (no tour buses are permitted into this magical place). IMHO, anyone visiting the Amalfi coast that has no major physical limitations should not take any excursion unless it takes you into Positano and gives you a chance to walk around and look at some of the shops, enjoy the atmosphere, etc. Hence, if you do want to tour the Amalfi Coast you are well advised to either book a private excursion (by car or van) or do it on your own (not an easy task during a port day). You should also have a visit to Ravello included in your tour (the small town of Amalfi is fine but overrated). As to Capri, we love this island and whenever we stay on the Amalfi Coast we always spend a full day on Capri.

Hank

Welcome to CC,

I faced simlar decision, decided on Pompeii and Amalfi, have never had one regret. Matter of fact if i was to make it this way again I'd skip Pompeii and spend the whole time along the Amalfi coast again.

But that is me, I read and pictures of Capri look nice too.

This is what we've done. First time with AP Tours (http://www.aptours.it) Pompeii & Amalfi, second, (again with AP Tours) just Amalfi. It was just 4 of 6 of us in their Mercedes Minivan, and we went everywhere. It was even less costly (per person) than the tours offered by the ship.

Amalfi has some of the most beautiful scenery we've ever seen, and Ravello, Positiano, and Sorrento are wonderful to walk around, shop, or just relax and enjoy nature’s beauty.

See for yourself...http://picasaweb.google.com/TDW826

We have never been to Capri, so I can't comment on that one. However, we did the Amalfi Coast in August of this year and absolutely loved it! It is beautiful! We did a private tour through italycarservice.com. Josephine was our contact, she was back to us via email with answers very quickly. We had lunch in Ravello in a small family run restaurant -- food was fantastic! We did Pompeii in the afternoon, on our drive back to the ship, it is an amazing place, if you have a chance to go - take it!

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great discussion. The funny thing for us is that we like to vacation on the Amalfi Coast but always spend at least one day over at Capri. We think they are both fantastic places and totally different. Having to choose between the two on a port day is simply a matter of personal preference. About the only thing that generates strong feelings, on our part, are the cruise line Excursions to the Amalfi Coast which we think are a crime...except for those with mobility issues. Repeating something we have posted many times, nearly all cruise line excursions are on large tour buses which are not permitted to enter the picturesque village of Positano. Going to the Amalfi Coast and viewing Positano from the road above is like going to New York and only seeing New York from the Jersey side of the Hudson. My point is that if you want to see the Amalfi Coast you should do it on a private tour with a small group (van or car) or on your own (a bit complicated).

Hank

Archived