Didn't book ES.. but..

RMM34667

The today the price for balcony is the same as what I paid for inside. Booked past guest rate online and I guess there is no price protection. BUT do ya think I could get the balcony for what I already paid??

I will be calling AS SOON AS I get home from work (just called my mother to tell her, the extended balcony is $150pp less than what she paid for her standard balcony - she's calling now.)

Just wondering what my chances are.

Thanks....

I believe you can upgrade even without ES when the price for a higher category matches what you paid! For sure before final payment, but I think even after? Are you before or after final payment?

Please report back with your experience! :)

The today the price for balcony is the same as what I paid for inside. Booked past guest rate online and I guess there is no price protection. BUT do ya think I could get the balcony for what I already paid??

I will be calling AS SOON AS I get home from work (just called my mother to tell her, the extended balcony is $150pp less than what she paid for her standard balcony - she's calling now.)

Thanks....

I think they will give it to you. You can only get OBC booking ES. Good Luck! Hope you get the upgrade. Let us know.

I booked under the military rate and am sailing in 3 weeks...and got a free upgrade yesterday. It's worth a try, all they can say is no. Oh, and if they say no, it might be worth calling and talking to someone else. The second person might say yes :)

I did not book ES and I got nothing in the way of OBC or even upgrade offer for price drop after final payment. If you do, I'd love to know(and I've of other who have) I'm about to call Carnival and ask why they are so inconsistent.

I did not book ES and I got nothing in the way of OBC or even upgrade offer for price drop after final payment. If you do, I'd love to know(and I've of other who have) I'm about to call Carnival and ask why they are so inconsistent.

Did the price of a category above yours match what you paid?? Did you call and say I want to be moved to so and so category, or cabin, giving the cabin #.

Iv never once had a problem with this. I cant tell if you just think they will call you or if you called them up and said this is what I paid, this is the price of category zyz, which is less than I paid ... please can you move, me. Once I did have to call back ..

Hmmmm. So you didn't book ES but you want the benefits of ES? :confused: :rolleyes:

Not saying you won't get it, because stranger things have happened with Carnival... but should you get it? NO. :)

This has nothing to do with ES.

Upgrading at no cost or for more $ has always been allowed. ES is about price reductions.

I booked under the military rate and am sailing in 3 weeks...and got a free upgrade yesterday. It's worth a try, all they can say is no. Oh, and if they say no, it might be worth calling and talking to someone else. The second person might say yes :)

.....or the third or the fourth!

Thanks....

It will not be a problem. I did the same thing this morning. They were running a special. all balcony cabins upgraded to an 8k at the 8A price. I had to pay an extra $10 pp but we went from an 8B to an 8K and we sail in 35 days.

You can always get an upgrade as long as they are available by paying the current rate, and if you have already paid that amount you get the upgrade without question. The only reason for ES is that you might get an OBC.

They are not inconsistent, all you have to do is call and ask for the upgrade. You will not get an OBC or any money back but if cabins are available you can always upgrade to what you have paid for based on current prices.

Did the price of a category above yours match what you paid?? Did you call and say I want to be moved to so and so category, or cabin, giving the cabin #.

Iv never once had a problem with this. I cant tell if you just think they will call you or if you called them up and said this is what I paid, this is the price of category zyz, which is less than I paid ... please can you move, me. Once I did have to call back ..

They are not inconsistent, all you have to do is call and ask for the upgrade. You will not get an OBC or any money back but if cabins are available you can always upgrade to what you have paid for based on current prices.

I did call and ask and was told no, not once in cancellation penalty period - even though there were higher category cabins available - no upgrade.:(:mad::(

I was wrong in my original post. The 55+ rate was the same as I paid, but the past guest rate was $50 bucks more. We have three in a cabin so the total in the end was just $160 to upgrade. (55+ Inside was listed at $299 for the 7 day cruise!)

I've been looking at upgrading for weeks the the price just wasn't worth it. I had just about stopped looking. Glad I did today, and I am just so glad I called. I think if I waited I would have missed out. As it was there was two cabins available when I started looking (6264 and 5299), but with in minutes it was only 5299.

I did call and ask and was told no, not once in cancellation penalty period - even though there were higher category cabins available - no upgrade.:(:mad::(

That happened to me once, and I just called back. Who knows?? The rep was just going on their dinner break or whatever so you call back and it got done the 2nd time. I had had them do it before, so thats probably why I knew to just hang up and call back later and get someone else who would do it.

That was the only time I had issues though. I have a PVP, but Iv also changed cabins like on a sunday when something popped up and had to call into the toll free number.

Hmmmm. So you didn't book ES but you want the benefits of ES? :confused: :rolleyes:

Not saying you won't get it, because stranger things have happened with Carnival... but should you get it? NO. :)

Perhaps you are more worldly and know better, but there are few industries that can charge one person one price, one day and another person a cheaper price the next day, BEFORE the product is delivered, and not expect some push back.

Cruising is that industry. They set up Early Saver categories that disappear. Then there are Super Saver fares... until they disappear. After that they post Fun Saver and Fun Select. Now the website is changing and you can't see the same thing one day that you do the next. They have a "guaranteed" room policy that "guarantees" nothing... and it is designed that way.

"Should" implies "deserve" and yes... I think people in equal situations should pay equal fares. And if the people writing the rules want to place incentives for different conditions, (and that's okay) then they should not make it difficult to comprehend. Few people get the opportunity to really understand these conditions, but we all "should."

I love Carnival because of my cruise experience... what happens to me once I am on the ship. Getting there is tedious. They set the rules that have us trying to play a "game" to get a fair price. These boards are full of people questioning all of these categories, and I don't think everyone is trying to take unfair advantage of Carnival. They just want to understand.

For the record, I don't personally utilize any of these fares because I am a group leader, and we book a group fare very early (which is the same fare posted on that day.) But I spend hours upon hours trying to satisfy those who want to book and join our group after our allotment is full. As the group leader I have dealt with several of these "fare" categories, and every dispute, cancellation, change, hard-feelings, or confusion has involved one of these fares.

Carnival has a great product, but my feeling is that there is some change afoot behind all of this, and the change is not toward "clarifying" matters.

Prices dropped on my cruise next week so I called 2 days ago and upgraded to an aft balcony and just paid the difference between what I had already paid and the new price. Cost about $160 pp to go fronm inside cabin to aft balcony.

Perhaps you are more worldly and know better, but there are few industries that can charge one person one price, one day and another person a cheaper price the next day, BEFORE the product is delivered, and not expect some push back.

My airfare dropped but they want to charge a change fare to get it .. not worth that .. so many airlines dont really honor price drops either .. and we all know how many different fares people book for airfare .. no push back I know of.

RCL stopped allowing price drops, only upgrades after final payment.

Carnival is for sure not the only company who doesnt allow you to get lower prices when they change.

Archived