Mega Cruise Smackdown

Whoever did the review on Oasis entertainment section totally missed the boat. Why would you vote and explain the entertainment options in an online article and only mention the ice show, aquatheater and parades? Hello, Broadway's Hairspray, amazing shows in the Aquatheater, Come Fly with Me in the Opal Theater, not to mention the ICE Show, all of which are free of charge. And they give the point to Epic? I don't think so.

Whoever did the review on Oasis entertainment section totally missed the boat. Why would you vote and explain the entertainment options in an online article and only mention the ice show, aquatheater and parades? Hello, Broadway's Hairspray, amazing shows in the Aquatheater, Come Fly with Me in the Opal Theater, not to mention the ICE Show, all of which are free of charge. And they give the point to Epic? I don't think so.

I noticed that. I think that they had to give Epic something. In reality, the Epic really does not interest me at all. Too many people crammed on one ship and the staterooms are horrible.

NCL just announced two new ships and it looks like they learned their lesson on a few things.

In all reality, NCL Epic and Oasis of the Seas couldn't be more different. People need to stop compairing them. The experience you get onboard an Oasis Class ship is like none other mainly because of the ships design. You couldn't possibly offer a space like Central Park or Boardwalk without a hunk of the ship being taken out to actually create an open air feel. I've heard the entertainment is good on Epic (haven't heard so many good things about the Cirque Circus thing) however, when you compare the options side by side on each ship, clearly the people at Royal Caribbean have done their homework and either Oasis Class ship offers way more entertainment options than any other ship at sea.

While I think water slides are cool just as much as the next guy, you can't argue that Oasis wins big time over Epic with just the layout and options it's pool deck has. Royal Caribbean does an excellent job of space management and offering something for everyone. With wide open pool decks that resemble a mega resort water park, how could anyone want the confined drab feel of NCL Epic's pool deck? Seriously there is no comparison.

Look at the name of the publication and it says it right there!!!! The Oasis is definitely not a budget cruise. The Epic doesn't interest me either. I think it is rather ugly and from what I've seen of the staterooms, they are terrible. The Oasis is a great ship.

Budget Travel did a fun comparison between Oasis and Epic. Interesting comments.

http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/content/article/2010/10/28/AR2010102804812.html?wpisrc=newsletter

...Epic: Shows by members of the Chicago-based Second City comedy troupe, where Tina Fey and Dan Aykroyd got their starts

That's where I stopped reading. The level of quality of a review can generally be based on the quality of their facts. Second City isn't from Chicago; it's from Toronto; wrong city; wrong country.

That's where I stopped reading. The level of quality of a review can generally be based on the quality of their facts. Second City isn't from Chicago; it's from Toronto; wrong city; wrong country.

Actually Second city is from Chicago thats where it started they now are in Toronto and I think LA as well

on our Mariner cruise who had sailed the Epic.

He said they informed NCL of some serious issues...

the glass surrounding the toilet/show wasn't opaque enough (eoh...)

the faucet/sink in the staterooms sprayed all over when used (he thought they were fixing that)

when you wanted twin beds, the curved wall requires them to pull the beds further into to room, essentially removing square footage.

The omission of Hairspray was ridiculous--clearly they were desperate to give Epic some credit...

Actually Second city is from Chicago thats where it started they now are in Toronto and I think LA as well

Correct.

Chicago used to be the second most populous, i.e., largest, city in the U.S. It was referred to as The Second City, just as NYC is called The Big Apple.

Go over to the NCL boards. Many rave about the Epic. They just LOVE it.

Of course they do. They also don't mind finding toenails in their beds. :eek:

They have the same article over there posted that Gordon posted here, and are all fawning over it.

In any case, I'm talking about REAL people I know.

While I have never been on either ship, YET, when I read articles like this I always remind myself that, that article, was based on one (or two) person's personal opinion. His or her dislikes can be completely different from mine. And, I like making up my own mind.

This is one reason why I love Cruise Critic. 99.9% of the time we get honest, unbiased opinions, reviews and advice. The other .1% comes from people, who come to Cruise Critic; to complain and bash a cruise line and then we never see or hear from them again.:eek:

They have the same article over there posted that Gordon posted here, and are all fawning over it.

For what it's worth..........there is a poster here on the RC boards who absolutely LOVED the Epic. Her next cruise is on RC, for her honeymoon, but then she wants to return to the Epic. Her name is VenusLeo1. (I think that she is actually on that cruise right now, or just back)

But I don't know any people IN REAL LIFE who cruise NCL. ;) :D

Second City IS from Chicago. It is now in both Chicago and Toronto. We were recently on the NCL Dawn and went to all their perfomances-including a workshop. We leaned that as recently as in the past year that a couple of the ship's performers with SC are now working on SNL. One is a writer and the other is a show cast member. Rob Belushi (son of James) is performing with SC on Epic.

Archived