Bringing gifts home for Daycare kids and their parents

2Oregonians

Hi. I will need 5 kid gifts for my Daycare kids ranging from age 2 to 11, and 4 parent gifts (probably more geared toward the mom rather than both, but for both would be ok too). We are going to PV, Mazatlan & Cabo, in that order. Which place would be better to look? I mean, should I go ahead and buy in PV knowing it has the best options, or should I wait for Mazatlan or Cabo? I want to spend about $10 on the kid gifts, and maybe $20 on the adult gifts. I want something made locally, and don't want to spend a ton of time searching. I enjoy a little bit of shopping, but I'm not one of those who spends all day walking around and shopping! Any ideas on what and where? Thank you!!!

I have learned to buy things when I see them because you never know if you'll find the same things somewhere else.

I don't know what you'll find that would interest a group as diverse as you describe??

I probably would not spend my vacation time looking for gifts like that but of course it is your choice.

I probably would not spend my vacation time looking for gifts like that but of course it is your choice.

Agree, which is why I said I'm not one who wants to spend all day walking around shopping. I'm not much of a shopper. I'd rather see the sights. I just wondered if anyone would have good advice as to which of the 3 ports have a great craft market close to the ship, or in a convenient location near all the activity in town. Never been there before and thought someone could tell me something like "wait for Cabo - they have a great market!" or "you better buy in PV because the others only have high-end shops" or something like that.

We bought in Puerto Vallarta last time. I like craft items and they had lots of little animals covered with colorful beads made by a local native tribe.

There was even one store where they had a guy making them.

I don't think I'd buy them for an infant as a present though.

Maybe for the Moms???

2Oregonians:

I've cruised to Mexico a lot and love to shop there. When I read your question I went to Google Images and searched for Mexican Souvenirs and it took me right to photos that look very familiar. Personally my husband and I have bought a lot of silver jewelry, pottery, blankets, clothing, belts, vanilla, and of course, TEQUILA, not to mention cheap magnets and other things that say where you are! I like to collect Christmas tree ornaments and have several from Mexico. I like to get my silver from the actual stores, not the vendors in the open air markets. I think they have better quality, and I saw no difference in price between any of the 3 ports you will be visiting.

There's a large open air market at the north edge of the pier in Cabo that has a good selection of crafts. The one near the pier in PV had a little more pushy salespeople. Mazatlan also has one just outside the pier terminal that I have shopped in. We've also bought items from people working the beach at Stone Island in Maz. I never say yes to the first person, and whatever price they tell you - should be considered a rip-off price. Most people will barter and I have paid up to 75% less than original price. Some items, like liquor are not bartered. At least not in my experience. Someone else might have more info on that!

TJ+10-13-07+036cr.JPG

A different point of view, and one that's taken us a while to get to....

instead of buying souvenirs, think about donating to a trusted child-centric charity in Mexico. The $50 or $70 you spend on souvenirs for people who have no need for them will feed or clothe some kids in one of the ports. My best friend joined DH and I on a Mex cruise, and she shopped like a fool for her family, her co-workers, etc. When tallied up she'd spent over $400 on mostly useless and/or unwanted cr*p. Give everyone a postcard from one of the ports with the info about the charity to which you made your donation.

Just a thought -- it may not be appropriate to your situation though.

Great ideas from both of you. Definitely something to think about, CP. Thank you for suggesting it.

KSC, thank you so much for all the advice!! I do appreciate it. That's a gorgeous picture! Wouldn't the parents love it if I gave their kids noise-making toys!!! :D

When we came home yesterday through Canadian Customs, we were asked about our Mexican souvenirs - did we buy any "wooden carvings"? I expect these would not be permitted into the country due to possible insect infestation? Anyway, just a heads up because you will see the vendors selling them.

We found the shopping/looking at local markets very frustrating and tiresome. The vendors were relentless. None were downright rude, but they were all extremely persistant. We bought items at stores whose clerks did not "hassle" us. It's just how we preferred to shop. :)

When we came home yesterday through Canadian Customs, we were asked about our Mexican souvenirs - did we buy any "wooden carvings"? I expect these would not be permitted into the country due to possible insect infestation? Anyway, just a heads up because you will see the vendors selling them.

We found the shopping/looking at local markets very frustrating and tiresome. The vendors were relentless. None were downright rude, but they were all extremely persistant. We bought items at stores whose clerks did not "hassle" us. It's just how we preferred to shop. :)

Oh wow, I'll have to keep that in mind about the wooden stuff. Wonder if that was just asked for Canadians though and maybe it's fine for Americans. Hmmm... don't know.

Good advice on buying from a store rather than a vendor. But I bet you can't haggle with the store like you can with the street vendor??

Good advice on buying from a store rather than a vendor. But I bet you can't haggle with the store like you can with the street vendor??

Gotta tell ya, we were so happy to not be bothered by the clerks that we didn't question the price! Seriously. It was that bad out there. :cool: No, we didn't bargain and didn't feel we needed to. Prices are reasonable in Mexican stores.

Archived