The River Oasis on Oasis. Including Water Fall on Deck 7 port side

Latvish

November 5th at 3 am we heard someone pounding on our door.

My wife Laura went to see who it was.

Laura opens the door and says Arvids you have to see this.

I am like OK what the heck

I walk out the door and

149922_173474319330877_100000049302406_595630_7182866_n.jpg

The river extended from 7252 to just short of the bridge.

The waterfall was by 7242 and included two Junior suites on the hump. Which were completely totalled.

By Friday around 9 am all the carpet and beds and sofas were toast.

RCCL did a fantastic job as they responded quickly.

Alexandra from Guest Services was wonderful

The couple that woke us up were drenched and we invited them into our cabin to have a seat as they were standing in Coolant for long time.

This was our 22nd Anniversary.

we will never forget

Of course I had to take a video....

I never thought that I should keep the camera horizontal for this shot.....

Holy crap is all I can think to say at this point....

What caused this?!

I walked down to where the ceiling was removed and looked up inside

73551_173480255996950_100000049302406_595661_5317459_n.jpg

At first I thought it must have been the 6 inch pipe that broke as the amount of water coming down from the ceiling was huge. I talked to an officer and he stated that it was the HIGH PRESSURE line the silver one in the photo. A nut that connected 2 pieces of pipe had a crack in it. So it was a Material failure....I am sure they maybe inspecting these lines over the next few months.....

That's crazy!

Wonder where they moved the folks from the Junior Suites?

We were contacted at 230 pm to contact Allen at Guest services.

I tried calling but being that it was the last day on the ship I was on hold for a long time and being that we had a floor fan blowing in our room we decided to go down and talk to them.

Well anyone that knows what Guests Services is like on the last day the lines were huge.

We stopped a GS person and told them we had a message from Allen.

He led us over to the Champagne Bar and we talked to a nice young lady that apologized for our inconvience.

She said that since we only had 4 feet of water into our room not 4 feet in depth but from the door to just past the bathroom door. That she was going to give us 25% discount on our next cruise and an extra credit....

We thanked her but what we were really looking for was someplace to take a nap as we went to bed that night at 215 am. Woke up at 3 am. My wife went back to bed around 4 am...But I was not able to sleep as the fumes from the coolant were making my lungs tighten up. I tried to sleep on the balcony but it was not working. Finally around 530 am I fell asleep from exhaustion. But I had set Room Service for 8 am as Friday was our Anniversary and wanted breakfast on the balcony....

So they gave us a key to 7201 so we could take a 2 hour nap. But it sure did rune our Anniversary...We never got off the ship as we were just spent.....

We never received a letter from RCCL as promised but I will be contacting them on Monday....

I know things happen but this really spoiled our 22nd Anniversary...But we will always remember this night/day.....

As far as those guests in the JS I can only assume that they ended up either in a promenade or and inside cabin as the ship was sold out...

Arvids, Laura, I know RCCL is trying things/events on the new ships that are not available on other cruise lines but this is ridiculous..

Actually I was thinking they were doing Sailboat races....But I have forgotten how to make them from paper from my youth.....But next cruise I will have some in my suitcases.:D

But also I know somepeople were hoping that the Oasis would have made a lazy river onboard.....Maybe this was a test....I new way to get to your room. Just get on a raft and float to your room....:rolleyes:

Latvish at least you have proof of what happened. How lucky for you to think of taking a video of what actually happened. If I remember correctly, from trying to remember what I read here before, it takes a few weeks before the paper work from the ship makes it to corporate offices in Miami and then gets sent out to the people involved. If you don't hear anything within a week or two then you should contact RCL to find out what happened to your 25% next cruise discount plus an extra credit.

BTW - Happy Anniversary. At least you will have something interesting to talk about on your 30th, 40th and 50th anniversary :p.

This was not a minor inconvenience. This was being awakened in the middle of the night to see your hallway awash and a stream of water from the ceiling. The water in your cabin and the measures they took to make it habitable had a very negative impact on your cruise experience. The fact that you had to ask them to locate a place for you to sleep after your night's sleep was interrupted by this fiasco is not a good sign. The fact that the coolant was making you feel ill in your cabin and they had not anticipated this, nor had they any contingency plan for it, is also not a good sign. The fact that you are providing shelter for the other couple, whose room is awash, and essentially solving the problem for RCCL is definitely not a good sign. Far too many "not good signs" in this scenario!!!

All I can say is had I been in you shoes, I would have been meeting with the Hotel Manager bright and early the next morning and nothing short of a full reimbursement for my cruise would have been acceptable. If this had been a hotel room, there is no way you would have been paying for your room that was flooded, due to the structure's faulty design or construction.

I am a huge fan of RCCL. We cruised onboard the Oasis in August and we are booked on the Allure next August. I am really, really shocked at the poor way this situation was handled. What a lousy way to celebrate your anniversary!

Other than the fact that it put a damper on our Anniversary I cant really complain...We built a dam with towels in our doorway to keep the water out and had we not it would have had much more water in there....Since I have had to deal with this sort of thing at work it was a no brainer.

RCCL had people onsite within a short time of the couple calling Guest relations but the front desk did not think it was as big as it was until there people got onsite and then realized it way a WOW experience.....

There was no way I would have asked for full reinbursement...

Now the other Suites would have been another matter...I know that 2 suites that were totalled but there could have been a few more..I know that Guest Relations said 7 cabins were totally effected. I know that included mine as I was on the list on her paper...Further forward there was water in the hall but I was not walking through the water fall to investigate...Considering it was Coolant not pure water. Now if it was a sewage line that would have been greatly different...

Yes it was a burden on me as I could not sleep but what they offered me was just compensation.....

This was not a minor inconvenience. This was being awakened in the middle of the night to see your hallway awash and a stream of water from the ceiling. The water in your cabin and the measures they took to make it habitable had a very negative impact on your cruise experience. The fact that you had to ask them to locate a place for you to sleep after your night's sleep was interrupted by this fiasco is not a good sign. The fact that the coolant was making you feel ill in your cabin and they had not anticipated this, nor had they any contingency plan for it, is also not a good sign. The fact that you are providing shelter for the other couple, whose room is awash, and essentially solving the problem for RCCL is definitely not a good sign. Far too many "not good signs" in this scenario!!!

All I can say is had I been in you shoes, I would have been meeting with the Hotel Manager bright and early the next morning and nothing short of a full reimbursement for my cruise would have been acceptable. If this had been a hotel room, there is no way you would have been paying for your room that was flooded, due to the structure's faulty design or construction.

I am a huge fan of RCCL. We cruised onboard the Oasis in August and we are booked on the Allure next August. I am really, really shocked at the poor way this situation was handled. What a lousy way to celebrate your anniversary!

Would not wish this on anyone or want to experience it myself and certainly feel for those involved but would have to find it somewhat of a relief to open a door on deck 7 and see water flowing down rather then open it and find water rising up. :eek:

Unbelievable. We were on 7 portside on Oasis--but of course I can't remember our cabin number!

Were any of your personal belongings ruined?

I wonder what they do for the folks getting on the next cruise?

No we saw the water and when it was entering our room we moved our luggage to the balcony door and were ready to throw it out there.

My wife hurried and picked up everything on the floor and put it on the shelves.

RCCL had work crews in the rooms cleaning up the mess,

By mid morning they had the carpeting removed out of 7242 and there was new carpet in the hallway ready to be installed after they got the water dried up.....

The way they were working on it I figured by evening the suites would be ready for there new guests.

This is the EXACT spot where we smelled a FUNKY smell and saw the floor fans going in the hall when we were walking on Deck 7 to access the helipad for the Champagne Sailaway!!!!! This was the last week in August.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26118396&postcount=9

Edited to add: Oops - dyslexic number reading - NOT the same spot. Same deck, but different place.

This is the EXACT spot where we smelled a FUNKY smell and saw the floor fans going in the hall when we were walking on Deck 7 to access the helipad for the Champagne Sailaway!!!!! This was the last week in August.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26118396&postcount=9

Edited to add: Oops - dyslexic number reading - NOT the same spot. Same deck, but different place.

We questioned the Room Services Head on Wednesday stating there was a smell everyday in the hall. He hesitated and said what we were smelling was like burndt onions as the Galley that supplies places like Park Place on Deck 8 and Chops Grill....Actually it makes more sense to the onion smell now with Chops above...I am sure the same holds true for the starpboard side of the ship for 150 and Giovanni's

We questioned the Room Services Head on Wednesday stating there was a smell everyday in the hall. He hesitated and said what we were smelling was like burndt onions as the Galley that supplies places like Park Place on Deck 8 and Chops Grill....Actually it makes more sense to the onion smell now with Chops above...I am sure the same holds true for the starpboard side of the ship for 150 and Giovanni's

Arvids, that may be what they told you, but I can assure you that what WE smelled wasn't "onions" or "cooking smells"! :eek:

November 5th at 3 am we heard someone pounding on our door.

My wife Laura went to see who it was.

Laura opens the door and says Arvids you have to see this.

I am like OK what the heck

I walk out the door and

149922_173474319330877_100000049302406_595630_7182866_n.jpg

The river extended from 7252 to just short of the bridge.

The waterfall was by 7242 and included two Junior suites on the hump. Which were completely totalled.

By Friday around 9 am all the carpet and beds and sofas were toast.

RCCL did a fantastic job as they responded quickly.

Alexandra from Guest Services was wonderful

The couple that woke us up were drenched and we invited them into our cabin to have a seat as they were standing in Coolant for long time.

This was our 22nd Anniversary.

we will never forget

Of course I had to take a video....

I never thought that I should keep the camera horizontal for this shot.....

Wow! Arvids, I am glad it didn't affect you any worse than it did. I can't imagine the smell of coolant would be very pleasant.

Those videos are quite an eyeopener..what a mess!

25% OFF YOU NEXT CRUISE IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!

I'm willing to bet that RCL will step up to the plate on this one. What is the chemical in the coolant, is it like antifreeze? Health from breathing the fumes would be of a worry to me.

Keep us informed please

I did voice my concerns on the Guest survey.... I filled out while we were trying to sleep up on the pool deck...It amounted to 3 pages but one page was devoted to MTD which is another subject

But I know RCCL reads all the surveys and again I filled it out before I had received the message from Guest Services...And submitted into the box...

Royal Caribbean looks at an incident like this and says:

They had full use of their cabin and the entire cruise for 6 out of 7 days.

We owe them 1/7th of their cruise back.

We will give them 25% off because this was pretty messy stuff.

Archived