Any package tour add-ons to Cairo from Venice?

mikeerdas

Looking at cruises for March/April/May of 2011, I wanted to find one that visited Venice, Santorini, Mykonos, one or more Croatian ports, and what would be the highlight of the cruise: seeing the Pyramids at Giza. However, I've not been able to find any cruises that fit my desired itinerary.

So, my thought is to take a Venice-based cruise that hits most of the ports I'm interested in and try to find a short Venice-to-Cairo package tour as an add-on. I imagine the cruise lines may not be set up for this, since few cruises seem to originate in Egypt (it always seems to be a port somewhere in the middle of cruises).

What are my options? Should I simply try to book airfare on my own from Venice to Cairo and make my own hotel / transport arrangements? I'm cost sensitive, so money is a concern.

Finally, there's a cruise to the Norwegian fjords out of Copenhagen that looks interesting. Given where Copenhagen is compared with Venice, would a package tour from Copenhagen to Cairo be a lot more expensive than one originating out of Venice? I might be willing to give up Venice / Croatia / the Greek Isles if I could substitute Norway.

But I do want to see the Pyramids. That's my top, but not only, objective for the trip.

Hi Mike -- I have a couple of thoughts regarding your dilemma.

First off, I think doing the fjords and then planning to visit Egypt might be a bit more difficult than from Venice; also keep in mind that you'd have to pack two pretty different wardrobes if you plan to combine them.

So assuming you go from Venice:

1) You could consider two separate cruises (more or less back to back) that do these different itineraries. I don't know if you've investigated whether that's an option; sometimes the timing just doesn't work out. As I recall, you are pretty interested in ancient history, and I think you'd enjoy some of the places usually visited enroute to Egypt on a cruise, especially if you can get to some of the ports in Turkey that are less commonly visited (Bodrum, Antalya), where there are great ruins to be seen.

2) You could just opt to take the cruise that goes to Egypt instead of the Greek Isles. But it sounds like Santorini and Mykonos are important to you. (But I'd pick Egypt any day....!)

3) Traveling to Egypt from Venice: I'm sure this could be easily arranged. I suggest if you are going all the way to Egypt that you should see more than just the pyramids. Do a Nile cruise (some are just 3-4 days) and get down to Luxor at least, to see the Temple of Karnak and the Valley of the Kings -- I probably enjoyed them more than the pyramids. You can work with either a US agency (Gate1 offers budget-conscious trips and will arrange airfare at good prices from most destinations; or you can choose to arrange your own air and just buy the land portion) or an Egyptian agency. I know several people on this board who've visited Egypt on a cruise, taken a private tour, and then arranged with the same agency to come back for a full Egyptian tour.

The good thing about Egypt is that it's still a relative bargain compared with Europe (especially northern Europe), so hotel rooms, tours, etc are reasonable.

If I can answer any other questions, I'd be happy to do so. Egypt is wonderful! (Going back for the fourth time in two weeks!)

Hi Mike -- I have a couple of thoughts regarding your dilemma.

First off, I think doing the fjords and then planning to visit Egypt might be a bit more difficult than from Venice; also keep in mind that you'd have to pack two pretty different wardrobes if you plan to combine them.

Hi cruisemom,

Thanks for responding. Good point about wardrobes. That would foil my aim to always pack light.

So assuming you go from Venice:

1) You could consider two separate cruises (more or less back to back) that do these different itineraries. I don't know if you've investigated whether that's an option; sometimes the timing just doesn't work out.

Great idea but cost is an issue. And like you say, timing can be tricky. But it's a great idea. Vacation time, unfortunately, is an issue as well. Probably more so than dollar cost. Two back-to-back cruises would bust my temporal budget. Will have more time when I retire, but that's two decades away.

As I recall, you are pretty interested in ancient history, and I think you'd enjoy some of the places usually visited enroute to Egypt on a cruise, especially if you can get to some of the ports in Turkey that are less commonly visited (Bodrum, Antalya), where there are great ruins to be seen.

Absolutely.

2) You could just opt to take the cruise that goes to Egypt instead of the Greek Isles. But it sounds like Santorini and Mykonos are important to you. (But I'd pick Egypt any day....!)

True. Want to see more of Greece (and Turkey), but Egypt is the priority. Want to see more antiquities / have a bit of adventure, but also want some relaxation. Thought about skipping a cruise completely and doing a package tour to Egypt. But I have misgivings. Is all of Egypt as desperately poor and dirty as Cairo is alleged to be?

3) Traveling to Egypt from Venice: I'm sure this could be easily arranged. I suggest if you are going all the way to Egypt that you should see more than just the pyramids. Do a Nile cruise (some are just 3-4 days) and get down to Luxor at least, to see the Temple of Karnak and the Valley of the Kings -- I probably enjoyed them more than the pyramids.

Thanks for your input. I've felt that, given the choice of one over the other, I'd enjoy Luxor / Valley of the Kings more. But the Pyramids are so iconic. Are there any particular nile river cruise companies you'd recommend?

You can work with either a US agency (Gate1 offers budget-conscious trips and will arrange airfare at good prices from most destinations; or you can choose to arrange your own air and just buy the land portion) or an Egyptian agency. I know several people on this board who've visited Egypt on a cruise, taken a private tour, and then arranged with the same agency to come back for a full Egyptian tour.

Thanks again. Will check out Gate1.

If I can answer any other questions, I'd be happy to do so. Egypt is wonderful! (Going back for the fourth time in two weeks!)

What books would you recommend for visiting the Pyramids at Giza and Luxor / Valley of the Kings / Temple of Karnak? I've enjoyed your book recommendations in the past--in particular, loved the one on Rome from White Star Guides, author: Sofia Pescarin.

Hi cruisemom,

True. Want to see more of Greece (and Turkey), but Egypt is the priority. Want to see more antiquities / have a bit of adventure, but also want some relaxation. Thought about skipping a cruise completely and doing a package tour to Egypt. But I have misgivings. Is all of Egypt as desperately poor and dirty as Cairo is alleged to be?

Visiting Egypt requires an open mind. You can't compare it with Europe or the US. It is an African country, and yes there is poverty. Unfortunately, you often see the worst of it in central Cairo -- just as with other cities, there is urban decay. Cairo is growing faster than anyone can keep up with, and there's a certain feeling that time stopped (indeed, that it may have started going backwards) in the 1950s, except for the few luxury hotels.

I found Luxor, Aswan, and points in between on the Nile river to be lovely and nowhere near the same feeling that you get in Cairo proper. Life along the Nile itself seems poor by our standards, but it also seems pleasant, life-sustaining, and still manages to be beautiful. The main areas of Luxor definitely appear to better advantage. (Of course, if you tour the outlying neighborhoods there, you'll find plenty of poverty there too.)

Now having said that, I'll also say that I like Cairo. There's an energy there that you can only find in a big city. Look beyond the garbage (and actually, I've seen worse in Naples), the poverty (again, seen worse in South America), and the crowds. Instead, look at the style of some of the old buildings, the beautiful mosques, the Nile river snaking through the city, the light in the late afternoon....

Thanks for your input. I've felt that, given the choice of one over the other, I'd enjoy Luxor / Valley of the Kings more. But the Pyramids are so iconic. Are there any particular nile river cruise companies you'd recommend?

If you're going to focus on Egypt, look for a package tour that includes some time in Cairo and a Nile cruise. Most do both and you can see the Pyramids -- yes, they really are iconic and certainly not disappointing. Everyone should see them. It's just that I always fancied myself an armchair Indiana Jones, so I much preferred the Egyptian museum and the Valley of the Kings (and other sights in Luxor).

The company I took my land tour with no longer offers that kind of tour, unfortunately, as it was a great experience with a group of only 7 people. As I mentioned, Gate1 offers some trips for the budget-minded and I have heard mostly positive comments from those who've taken them. Their hotel accommodations and Nile cruiser probably won't be the most deluxe, but that wouldn't bother me a lot. It depends on how you like to travel. I find that I enjoyed my stay at the older, venerable Shepheard Hotel in Cairo, with it's traditional rooms and decor, more than the sleek, newer (but poorly located) Conrad Hotel, for example....

As a rule of thumb, a 5-star hotel or Nile cruiser won't equate with the same US standard, so don't expect it.

Thanks again. Will check out Gate1.

What books would you recommend for visiting the Pyramids at Giza and Luxor / Valley of the Kings / Temple of Karnak? I've enjoyed your book recommendations in the past--in particular, loved the one on Rome from White Star Guides, author: Sofia Pescarin.

Unfortunately, there's no one guide for Egypt that I've yet discovered that I like as much as the White Star Rome guide. I took sections from a veritable bookshelf full of books with me on my land trip. Here are a few that I liked:

The Search for Ancient Egypt (Vercoutier): Mainly a brief but interesting history of archaeology in Egypt from the 18th century, when ancient Egyptian monuments were "rediscovered" by the French and British. Small book but very interesting; Read in advance.

Luxor Illustrated, with Aswan, Abu Simbel, and the Nile (Haag): Perfect companion for a Nile cruise, describes all the famous monuments and temples of Upper Egypt. Full color; would recommend taking with you.

Egypt (Knopf Guide): Best overall guide to Egypt and the one I'd take with. I prefer it to either the Lonely Planet or the DK guide (I have both). Be sure to get most current edition.

The Treasures of Ancient Egypt: If you plan to spend any serious time on your own in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, this book is ESSENTIAL. It covers almost every item (not just the "well known" ones) in the museum in good, clear detail. http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Ancient-Egypt-Alessandro-Bongioanni/dp/8854008346/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289160373&sr=1-1

Cruisemom,

When is too late in the Spring season to visit Egypt? Ideally, I'd like to take my trip in May. But it seems Egypt as a port drops off on cruises in April. How oppressive would the weather by in mid to late May?

Well, that will depend on your fortitude. Are you used to, and do you cope well with, heat? Cairo and environs is bearable in May, but when you start talking about points farther south, the heat will be fairly brutal. You can look up May average temps for Luxor and Aswan to get an idea. My parents went in August for the full trip and survived. Then again, friends of mine went in April of this year with Gate1 and really wilted in the heat, consequently they felt they did not enjoy the trip as much as they'd have liked.

I've only ever been in November (pleasant), February (pleasant), and very late September (very hot, around 100 in Alexandria and closer to 105 in Cairo).

See my answers above!

Thanks again Cruisemom.

A few other questions:

1) When one "sees the Pyramids", are tourists allowed inside? Or do most tours simply put you outside for a photo op?

2) What about the other antiquities sites "in the field", e.g. Temple of Karnak, etc. Are tourists allowed inside or is it just a photo op from the exterior?

Negative answers to #1 and #2 wouldn't stop me, but it would make the experience less immersive.

3) Many of the Gate1 trips seem to have too many "optional" excursions, just like a typical cruise ship journey. Is this typical?

I'd thought they'd be all-inclusive--especially in an inexpensive country like Egypt. I don't consider, for example, if one is in Luxor, the Temple of Karnak and Valley of the Kings to be optional! Is this "optional excursion" game played by most of the Egypt package tour operators? There was one 10-day Gate1 trip I'm seriously considering that has very few optional ("upcharge") excursions--just one for the Light and Sound Pyramids show at night.

One tour company recently touted by Arthur Frommer on his blog, Sunny Land Tours (EgyptHotDeals.com), seems to leave nearly 100% of the good stuff to upcharge additional fee optional excursions. So when you're looking at their advertised prices, you're looking at, evidently, getting transport, lodging, and some meals--but nearly nothing else.

Normally I do ports on my own whenever possible. But in a country like Egypt, it didn't seem wise to me to venture out on my own. So I was hoping, if I went that route, to have all the good stuff included.

Thanks again Cruisemom.

A few other questions:

1) When one "sees the Pyramids", are tourists allowed inside? Or do most tours simply put you outside for a photo op?

I have to admit I may not be the best answerer on this one, as I knew I didn't want to go inside. (There is nothing to see in the interior, and access is difficult.)

Tourists are allowed to go inside, but it's confusing. Generally only one of the 3 pyramids is open each day for tourists. However, I've also read that there are a limited number of tickets sold each day for entry to the Great Pyramid, which I think is a different process. At any rate, if you just arrive with your tour group at the pyramids, guides generally will give you all the basic information, then will give people time to look around while arranging entry for those who want to go inside. There's a bit of a line but it seems to move along at a steady clip and they build in time for it.

Just be sure to tell your guide that it's a priority for you to go inside. He/she should be able to ensure you get the chance.

2) What about the other antiquities sites "in the field", e.g. Temple of Karnak, etc. Are tourists allowed inside or is it just a photo op from the exterior?

You can enter the Temple of Karnak and the Luxor Temple, both are astonishing (particularly Karnak; it's huge!). When you visit the Valley of the Kings, you are generally allowed to visit 3 tombs with your tour ticket (standard across all groups). Your guide will advise you which 3 of the open tombs that day (again, they rotate them) are the best to visit. You can pay an extra fee to visit King Tut's tomb, but it's one of the smaller and less interesting tombs to visit -- although of course they have now returned his mummy to the tomb, so you may feel it's worth it.

One place in particular that's really worth going inside is at Saqqara (where the earliest or "step" pyramid is). At the Saqqara complex, you can enter a tomb of nobles that has very interesting wall paintings, similar to the Valley of the Kings. Also, there is a small pyramid you can enter that is easier to access and has somewhat more to see on the inside.

Also, if you end up doing a Nile cruise, most every temple you'll visit can be toured (Kom Ombo, Dendera, Philae, etc). Plus if you take the tour to Abu Simbel (and if it's offered you SHOULD do it), you can go inside there as well.

Negative answers to #1 and #2 wouldn't stop me, but it would make the experience less immersive.

3) Many of the Gate1 trips seem to have too many "optional" excursions, just like a typical cruise ship journey. Is this typical?

I'd thought they'd be all-inclusive--especially in an inexpensive country like Egypt. I don't consider, for example, if one is in Luxor, the Temple of Karnak and Valley of the Kings to be optional! Is this "optional excursion" game played by most of the Egypt package tour operators? There was one 10-day Gate1 trip I'm seriously considering that has very few optional ("upcharge") excursions--just one for the Light and Sound Pyramids show at night.

Gate1 does this with most of its "budget" tours, I guess they feel it allows people to pick and choose what they want to do. One thing I learned from looking at their website is that the optional tour costs are very low -- UNLIKE cruise ships. So just factor them in to the total overall cost when you are comparing. My friends who went last April said that almost everyone ended up taking almost every optional tour...........not really sure why they don't just add it in!

The tour I was on included everything except for Abu Simbel, the balloon ride over the Valley of the Kings, and a few other "small" tours that our guide arranged for us on the spur of the moment (e.g., Luxor Museum, Solar Boat, etc) I found these extras to be well worth paying for. (As mentioned, Egypt is less expensive, thank goodness!)

One tour company recently touted by Arthur Frommer on his blog, Sunny Land Tours (EgyptHotDeals.com), seems to leave nearly 100% of the good stuff to upcharge additional fee optional excursions. So when you're looking at their advertised prices, you're looking at, evidently, getting transport, lodging, and some meals--but nearly nothing else.

Normally I do ports on my own whenever possible. But in a country like Egypt, it didn't seem wise to me to venture out on my own. So I was hoping, if I went that route, to have all the good stuff included.

I'm a big DIY'er, but I'd agree that for the sheer amount of travel involved in seeing Egypt, it's worth having a professional guide/driver. Egypt is less easy to negotiate on your own. It's not impossible, but it's not like Europe. I did have a couple of days in Cairo at the end of my tour, but by then I felt pretty comfortable both with the layout of the city and with the culture, so I did some touring on my own.

Hopefully the above will help clarify!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Cynthia,

Looks like a guided tour to Egypt, that includes Luxor / Valley of the Kings, is out of our budget.

Here's another idea: we have enough British Airways miles to get to Egypt--how about flying into Luxor with a stop-over in Cairo, then hiring guides / transport when we get there or in advance? We'd also book our own hotels. I'd be happy just to get to Luxor / The Valley of the Kings (and possibly Abu Simbel) and see the Pyramids another time, e.g. from a cruise port. Don't have lots of vacation time, so a quicker more focused trip would be better anyway.

Taking a hot air balloon over the Valley of the Kings, by the way, really struck my imagination.

Egypt is allegedly a cheap country, but the package tour prices are quite high. So I'm wondering what my semi DIY options are there. I've looked at "land only" tour packages, but those seem to leave out little important things like, oh, intra-egypt air, etc. In my mind, "land only" should mean once you get to/from Cairo on your own, all other travel inside Egypt should be included.

Wonder if Luxor has an International airport at all?

Mike

I'm just ending a cruise that started in Egypt -- was actually just in Luxor. Yes, they have an international airport; of course not as many daily flights as Cairo. Luxor is quite manageable in the way you mention (e.g., hire guides/tours on a daily basis).

I will be home in a couple of days and will try to give you some more detailed insights then.

I'm just ending a cruise that started in Egypt -- was actually just in Luxor. Yes, they have an international airport; of course not as many daily flights as Cairo. Luxor is quite manageable in the way you mention (e.g., hire guides/tours on a daily basis).

I will be home in a couple of days and will try to give you some more detailed insights then.

Hope you had as great a time as we did!

Hope you enjoyed your stay. Do you mean a river cruise? Haven't heard of any cruise ship itineraries that originate in Egypt.

That's great news about Luxor. Looking forward to hearing your advice when you have time. Have a safe trip home.

Hope you enjoyed your stay. Do you mean a river cruise? Haven't heard of any cruise ship itineraries that originate in Egypt.

That's great news about Luxor. Looking forward to hearing your advice when you have time. Have a safe trip home.

Thomson Celebration sails slowly round the Red Sea every Thursday during winter.....the locals know the itinerary better than the pax, and are always on hand with their taxi, and prices in Sterling....though euros and dollars are acceptable.....The flights land in Sharm throughout Thurs, all Thomson planes, from just about every airport in the UK.

Breaking news is that Costa are to start the same itinerary next winter.

Jo.

Thomson Celebration sails slowly round the Red Sea every Thursday during winter.....the locals know the itinerary better than the pax, and are always on hand with their taxi, and prices in Sterling....though euros and dollars are acceptable.....The flights land in Sharm throughout Thurs, all Thomson planes, from just about every airport in the UK.

Breaking news is that Costa are to start the same itinerary next winter.

Jo.

Thanks Jocap. Never heard of Thomson. Are they a luxury line like Seaborne and Crystal? Mostly, I'd been looking at Royal Caribbean and Norwegian--neither seemed to have cruises with more than one port stop in Egypt. Also didn't realize Costa will have Egypt itineraries. The latter might be a good budget alternative.

Still curious about flying into Luxor with a stopover in Cairo using British Airways frequent flyer miles, reserving my lodgings, and booking excursions once there. Looking for a shorter, more focused trip (Luxor area and Cairo only) with low costs for a first introduction to Egypt.

No, not a river cruise. I sailed with Voyages to Antiquity, a new company with one small ship of about 300 passengers that does a lot of specialty itineraries in the Med (some unusual destinations). Our itinerary involved a couple of days in Egypt before we sailed from Safaga (about a 2.5 hour drive from Luxor). We had a day in Cairo, a day and a half in Luxor, plus a stop in Sharm el-Sheikh and one in Ein al-Sokhna (sp?) to see St Catherine's and St Antony's monasteries, respectively.

Thanks Jocap. Never heard of Thomson. Are they a luxury line like Seaborne and Crystal? Mostly, I'd been looking at Royal Caribbean and Norwegian--neither seemed to have cruises with more than one port stop in Egypt. Also didn't realize Costa will have Egypt itineraries. The latter might be a good budget alternative.

Still curious about flying into Luxor with a stopover in Cairo using British Airways frequent flyer miles, reserving my lodgings, and booking excursions once there. Looking for a shorter, more focused trip (Luxor area and Cairo only) with low costs for a first introduction to Egypt.

There are a lot of options if you look beyond the "mass market" cruiselines. Thomson is a British outfit, definitely not a luxury line. You could also look into Costa or MSC. But it sounds like you want to spend a bit more time in Egypt itself.

I know BA flies to Luxor from Heathrow and to Cairo from some other UK airports. I suggest you investigate this first and decide whether it's worthwhile and if you have enough points. It's easy to get between Cairo and Luxor by plane (Egypt Air); very safe and not that expensive. Some people do the train just for the experience, but unless you've got time to burn, I would skip it.

I've stayed in two different hotels in Luxor. The Sonesta St George is well located but showing its age a little. Good rates should be easy to find. The next door hotel, the Steigenberger Nile Palace looks newer and nicer with about the same location and view over the Nile (great sunsets) for not much more $$. If you want a more "historic" hotel, the Sofitel Winter Palace is where you should stay; right next to Luxor Temple but with rates much higher than the others.

I found in the hotels in Luxor it is quite easy to book day trips to Valley of the Kings, Hatshepsut's Temple, Karnak Temple, Colossi of Memnon, Denderah temple, balloon rides, etc through the hotel. There are also travel agencies in the town, particularly one I recall next to the Winter Palace hotel. There's no public transportation (other than horse carriages, but I wouldn't recommend them), however it's easy and safe to walk around Luxor on your own from a well-situated hotel.

Some less-often visited sites not to miss in Luxor include the Valley of the Queens (and possibly Valley of the Nobles), Deir el-Medina (where the artisans who worked in the Valley of the Kings lived), the Ramesseum, and the smallish but very nice Luxor Museum (in town).

In Cairo, I think it would be best to contact one of the agencies often mentioned here and work with them to put together an itinerary to see the main sites in and around Cairo/Giza/Memphis/Saqqara (all relatively near Cairo).

I would suggest spending 3-4 days in Luxor and 3 in Cairo. If you want to add on a Nile cruise (you can book it yourself in Luxor or in advance), you can get them for 3, 4, or 5 nights. Of course, this all depends on how much time you have.... It would be a shame to go to Egypt on a land trip and miss Aswan and Abu Simbel!

Welcome back, Cruisemom....hope your cruise was a good one....can't wait to read the review!!:D

As for Thomson- no, def. not a luxury line, but good itineraries. Thomson Fly also does holidays in various spots in Egypt.

jo.

I forgot to mention it, but if you plan to do a lot on your own (or arranging your own tours) in Egypt, the Lonely Planet guidebook has probably the best info for DIY. As I mentioned earlier, I have a TON of guidebooks and other books. This one was very comprehensive and has lots of info on what to see, where to stay and how to arrange it all, especially for someone trying to be more frugal.

Welcome back, Cruisemom....hope your cruise was a good one....can't wait to read the review!!:D

As for Thomson- no, def. not a luxury line, but good itineraries. Thomson Fly also does holidays in various spots in Egypt.

jo.

I had a great time, thanks; I'll get my review done in a few days but for now I'm too tired to think straight and organize my thoughts for more than a sentence or two. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks CruiseMom! I appreciate the info. Sounds great that you can easily book tours from hotels in Luxor. I'm sure I'll have more questions after I digest your post further.

Over Christmas I was given:

* Lonely Planet's "Discover Egypt" (is this the one you mean or the other LP Egypt guidebook?)

* DK's "Eyewitness Travel: Egypt"

I forgot to mention it, but if you plan to do a lot on your own (or arranging your own tours) in Egypt, the Lonely Planet guidebook has probably the best info for DIY. As I mentioned earlier, I have a TON of guidebooks and other books. This one was very comprehensive and has lots of info on what to see, where to stay and how to arrange it all, especially for someone trying to be more frugal.

I had a great time, thanks; I'll get my review done in a few days but for now I'm too tired to think straight and organize my thoughts for more than a sentence or two. :)

Looking forward to it. Please let me know when and where you post it.

Gotta jump in here.

We just went on Gate 1's 15 day tour ...... it was AMAZING !!!!

If you look at the tour price - includes air from NY, all flights in Egypt, all hotels, Nile cruise, most meals and a guide 24/7 while you are there, it is truly a wonder how they do it for the price !!!! Egypt may be cheap (compared to Europe etc) but the logistics of moving around not only from city to city but tourist site to tourist site is NOT something I would want to do DIY. Period. Dh and I usually like to strike out on our own - but not here :eek: (Gate 1 also does land only packages if you want to fly on FF miles)

I think Gate 1 chooses to add the excursions as options for those who do want to do some things DIY. I could see doing some items in Luxor DIY but Cairo is a mess....... nice to be chauffered and guided ! This gives you the option of doing some but not all - or all. We had one gentlemen in our group of 11 that did not purchase any tours. He wanted to do it all on his own. Our guide explained that if he missed the ship or a flight - he got left. Needless to say, he then reconsidered...... at the end he was glad he did. The hotels we used were quite nice. The Nile cruise ship was not opulent but clean, comfortable and the crew worked very hard to please everyone. The flights were nice - Egyptair has their act together. Airports were also nice. Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simbel were the ones we flew in/out of.

DH went in the large pyramid. We had a free afternoon on 2nd day in Cairo and he went back and did it then. The lines for special tickets to do this are much shorter in the afternoon and he fulfilled lifelong dream of doing this.

Cairo is indeed poor and dirty. But surprisingly not as bad as I was expecting. Luxor is nice...... but Aswan is really nice. Cruising the Nile was a special treat and you feel like you step back in time. It also gave us a bit of time to recharge as this was definately a go-go-go vacation in order to see and do all that we did.

We bought all but 2 of the excursions.....prices are incredibly cheap. For ALL OF THEM we paid right under $500.00 per person. This included our excursion to Abu Simbel which included a flight from Aswan to Abu Simbel and back. They have different lengths of tours and the value for the money can't be beat. You will not get the same experience trying to do it on your own. There is so much to see and do and you will be worn out from not only seeing and doing, but the added effort to get around, get tickets, get a guide, etc etc.... in my opinion it will wear ya' out.

Our guide met us at the airport and was with us for the next 14 days 24/7. He woke us up every morning, had our bus ready and waiting, had our tickets prepurchased for us, gave us great lectures then gave us time to explore on our own, kept us on schedule, gave us great recommendations for restaurants for the few times our meals were not included. Bargained for us in the bazaars, took us on many extra outings on his free time and this is why a tour in a country where many still do not speak English is the only way to go !!!!

Just my two cents worth. Prices are much cheaper in the summer (May-Sept) but the heat can be pretty grueling......

Thanks Texan Cruiser and CruiseMom. Enjoyed both your reviews.

Texan Cruiser, enjoyed your review. Indeed, Gate 1 does seem to offer land-only packages. But there's some fine print--it left out some major air connections. I thought once you got to Egypt on your own,a land package would take care of all domestic connections. I was wrong.

I still think the best option money-wise for me might be to fly to Luxor, stay in a nicely appointed hotel (thanks for the recommendations CruiseMom), and be based in Luxor to see what the area has to offer and book day trips from the hotel. CruiseMom, I've seen some of the hotels you mentioned in Luxor for decent prices, e.g. USD ~$68/night for mid-May. My other time frame is late September / early October. Have not checked rates then.

I'd then hit Cairo briefly on the way home and book trips from a hotel. I'm hoping British Airways would allow me one free stop over on Executive Club miles.

I realize there's much to see and do--too much. So I might be satisfied with a short and focused visit. I don't think there's a single cruise or package tour that achieves what I want to do within my budget. I don't want to even try to see too much on a first trip. On the other hand, I don't want to be completely stressed out by DIY. But if it's very limited DIY with being picked-up / dropped off at my hotel, and building in some relaxation / reading time at the hotel, then it might work.

Would be interested in hearing from anyone else used to DIY who has tried to DIY in Luxor, most importantly, and second, in Cairo. I don't entirely mean DIY--I don't expect to book my own transportation. I'd book tours that provide transportation, etc.

Or here's a thought: how about flying to Luxor for a week and saving Cairo for another trip? e.g. as a port stop on a Med. cruise? CruiseMom, is there enough in Luxor worth spending a week there to see?

Cruises are terrific for seeing many ports in a short amount of time. But I'm thinking most of what I want to see is in and around Luxor. And a short stop in Cairo on the way home would be great. Cairo doesn't seem at all relaxing.

How early do the Pyramids at Giza and the sites at Luxor open? One thing I've always disliked about cruising is arriving at various archaeological sites too late when all the tour buses have already arrived; e.g. my best experience at the Acropolis was when I walked there early AM from a hotel in Athens where only 3 other tourists and 1 dog were at the gate. I followed the same logic at Vatican City museums, getting as early a ticket as I could--then bypassed the lines and was even let in earlier than my ticket said.

Also, since it would likely be quite hot in Luxor in late May or Late September, I can see the advantage of arriving at archaeological sites as early as they open. Or is it 100 degrees F at 6am or however early the sites open? Hoping to book a private tour and get there as early as possible.

CruiseMom, did you say I could walk to few sites in Luxor from the St George hotel area?

I had a couple of comments on both of your last posts.

First, I'm not sure you have the correct info on Gate 1 trips? When I've looked at them in the past (and I also checked with someone who has taken several), the land-only pricing did include "within tour" flights. So you might want to give that another think.

In Egypt, it's very common to try to do your sightseeing in the morning, rest during the heat of the day, and then maybe do something else in the late afternoon. Many DIY tours from the hotels in Luxor are geared for early morning starts -- not EXTREMELY early, but often around 7:30 or 8:00 am.

Luxor is on the east bank of the Nile. From hotels in town you can easily walk to Luxor Temple. A little further, distance-wise, from town is the Luxor Museum. Karnak Temple is also on the east bank but is too far to walk. It's best done with a guided tour anyway -- the site is huge and there are so many millenia of history represented on the site.

Also in Luxor town you may want to visit the bazaar (not as large as Cairo but very colorful and less intimidating), and possibly the Winter Palace hotel, which is a historic building and is where Agatha Christie stayed while writing "Death on the Nile".

The sites on the West bank are not walkable (Valley of the Kings, Temple of Hatshepsut, Deir el-Medina, the Colossi of Memnon, etc) and are best done as part of a tour.

Another great day tour is a "mini Nile cruise" that takes you to visit Dendera temple. If you aren't thinking of doing an actual Nile cruise, this is a great alternative and would be a nice, more relaxing day in the midst of more strenuous sightseeing. Dendera is a well preserved/restored temple that is similar to those you'd see on the longer Nile cruises.

Most of these tours include pickup/dropoff at Luxor hotels.

An expensive option, but one you'll never forget, is doing one of the early morning hot-air balloon rides. There are several companies that do this -- you start out very early with a pickup from your hotel because the balloons go up at the approximate time of sunrise. You will have gorgeous views of the west bank sites, of the Nile, and sometimes also the east bank. (We glided directly over Luxor temple). They are less expensive if you book them on your own.

I think you could spend a week in Luxor if you throw in some time for relaxing, certainly. But would you be happy to skip the Pyramids, Sakkara, and the Egyptian Museum? Cairo is hectic, but it is an experience worth having....

Some photos from my recent visit to whet your appetite:

From the terrace of the Sonesta at sunset:

P1020205.jpg

Moonlight on an obelisk at Karnak Temple:

P1020238.jpg

The oversized Hypostyle Hall at Karnak:

P1020188.jpg

Striking a pose at Hatshepsut's Temple:

P1020250.jpg

Just a note: on our recent 15 day Gate 1 tour if you chose the land only option - no flights were included. Even those within Egypt. So that left you with having to figure out how to get to Luxor to get on the Nile cruise and how to get from Hurghada (on the Red Sea) back to Cairo as we flew that leg also. The only time we were on a bus was for excursions AND the 5 hour drive from Luxor to Hurghada (which was very interesting).

The optional excursion to Abu Simbel did of course include the flights (cost $269.00 per person - but worth every penny!)

I do have to comment that the price of our trip was @ 2500.00 per person. This included RT air from NY, all flights in Egypt, hotels (including 2 nights at an all-inclusive on the Red Sea), 7 nights on a Nile cruise, a whole bunch of meals (most of them) a tour of pyramids and Sphynx ALL WITH A GUIDE who was with us 24/7. And that included an upgrade in our cabin on the ship to an A category which was $200. pp

We then added almost all the optional excursions which was alot of tours. This cost just under $500. per person and included the Abu Simbel tour.

Now, that in my book is a real value ! We had an amazing time and have memories that will last a lifetime ! I truly don't know how they provide all that for the price !

Just a note: on our recent 15 day Gate 1 tour if you chose the land only option - no flights were included. Even those within Egypt. So that left you with having to figure out how to get to Luxor to get on the Nile cruise and how to get from Hurghada (on the Red Sea) back to Cairo as we flew that leg also. The only time we were on a bus was for excursions AND the 5 hour drive from Luxor to Hurghada (which was very interesting).

The optional excursion to Abu Simbel did of course include the flights (cost $269.00 per person - but worth every penny!)

I do have to comment that the price of our trip was @ 2500.00 per person. This included RT air from NY, all flights in Egypt, hotels (including 2 nights at an all-inclusive on the Red Sea), 7 nights on a Nile cruise, a whole bunch of meals (most of them) a tour of pyramids and Sphynx ALL WITH A GUIDE who was with us 24/7. And that included an upgrade in our cabin on the ship to an A category which was $200. pp

We then added almost all the optional excursions which was alot of tours. This cost just under $500. per person and included the Abu Simbel tour.

Now, that in my book is a real value ! We had an amazing time and have memories that will last a lifetime ! I truly don't know how they provide all that for the price !

Wow, I guess Egypt is different from other Gate 1 tours, then.

I think Mikeerdas has FF miles to use, therefore only wanted the land portion.

Archived