Miami Port info

SugarStar00

We just booked a cruise on the Glory for 3/20/11. I've never been to the port of Miami so I'm looking for some logistical advice.

1. We are most likley going to have to fly into Fort Lauderdale and if we do we might stay the night. Any inexpensive hotels in the area anyone can recommend?

2. Any idea on cost of cab fare from MIA to the port or FLL and the port?

3. Are there any easily accessible shops around the port where we can purchase soda and wine to carry on in the event we dont stay the night before?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!! :)-Jen and Seth

We always fly into FLL it's always cheaper from Ohio. We use SAS transport it's $15 per person or less if a larger group. We stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay they had a special for $89 for a bay view room. It's close to the port, I think our cab ride was $7 to the port and bayside market. Our room was a perfect view to watch the ships sail on Saturday also. Good luck

My wife and I have always found our hotels searching www.tripadvisor.com . If you stay at the beach in Fort Lauderdale there would be plenty of place to get sodas, but it will cost more for the hotel.

The cab fare from port of Miami to FLL is about $90 each way. Carnival transfers are $30 per-person each way.

If you are taking a cab, he would easily be able to take you some place on the way.

We got Intercontinental Hotel right near the port of Miami for $84 plus taxes and fees. look on the florida board for Miami, lastminute travel site has some deals for Miami. We took that one because it was so close to Bayside and POM.

My cabin mate flew into Ft. Lauderdale and took SAS to the hotel for $15. I flew into Miami airport and took the city bus for $2, quite easy. There is a bus building at the airport and live help to give you written directions and walk you thru buying the ticket, or Id never had tried it.

Definitely do upfront legwork.

FLL airport to MIA port about 45 minutes

MIA airport to MIA port about 15 minutes

You may find that after calculating transportaion from FLL it is actually cheaper or worth the extra couple of dollars to just fly direct into MIA.

I've found that if a small 1-2 people flying direct into MIA is cheaper.

example: I am flying direct into MIA solo and found that the Carnival shuttle $16 is actually cheaper than a taxi $24.

If a larger group, then fly in FLL is cheaper with a good shuttle service.

I have used SUN SHINE SHUTTLE dot com and feel they are very reasonable, proffessional and most important PROMPT!

Also call your hotel options. They may even offer free airport/ port shuttles and FREE is always better than reasonable! Most hotels though only have free shuttle service for early day-time flights. So if you are arriving late, you may be out of luck.

A few phone calls could save you some big money especially if you have a group.

Also check on yur roll call forum. If you can arrange it and don't mind sharing you may be able to work out a shared shuttle with others also arriving when you are. Most shuttle services won't combine patrons, but if you book it together as ONE you may be able to get it for about $10 p/p

Good Luck

We just booked a cruise on the Glory for 3/20/11. I've never been to the port of Miami so I'm looking for some logistical advice.

1. We are most likley going to have to fly into Fort Lauderdale and if we do we might stay the night. Any inexpensive hotels in the area anyone can recommend? Focus your search on the 17th Street/Downtown area Hotels. Several moderately priced chain hotels, surrounded by chain restaurants and drug stores where you can buy last minute items. Hotels would be Hyatt Place, Marriott and Hilton brands. Most have free shuttles from FLL.

2. Any idea on cost of cab fare from MIA to the port or FLL and the port?

Use SAS (www.ridesas.com) to get to POM from FLL or any Fort Lauderdale area hotel for about $15 per person; they can also get you back to FLL from POM after your cruise.

If you fly into MIA it is about a $26 cab ride to downtown hotels, and another $10-12 to get to POM. If you stay out near MIA it will cost you about $10 per person to shuttle to POM or just under $30 (including tip) to taxi to POM.

3. Are there any easily accessible shops around the port where we can purchase soda and wine to carry on in the event we dont stay the night before? See my response above for FLL area shopping. No shopping at POM - it is a very industrial area. If you stay near MIA look for hotels in the Blue Lagoon area near MIA - there's a strip mall with shopping (grocery, drug and liquor stores) along with dining options within walking distance -- directly across the street from the Hampton Inn. If you stay downtown there are drug stores scattered around that may fill your needs.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!! :)-Jen and Seth

Good luck!:)

We got Intercontinental Hotel right near the port of Miami for $84 plus taxes and fees. look on the florida board for Miami, lastminute travel site has some deals for Miami. We took that one because it was so close to Bayside and POM.

If you use this website, be aware that you may be charged a foreign transaction fee depending on which credit card you use.

I used a Bank of America visa card. It was their US site, my hotel was booked in USD, and it's for US domestic travel (I live in California). At no point during the booking and payment process was I advised that there *may* be a foreign transaction fee. So imagine my surprise when I checked my cc statement and found such a charge.

When I called this company about it, they said that they're an international company with a merchant bank in Israel. That's why I was charged a foreign transaction fee. They said they're in the process of changing that, and would give me a refund. They have provided refunds to other customers before. I asked why customers were not advised of this upfront, their answer was that not every card charges a fee.

IMHO, this is not good business practice. True, they gave me a refund promptly -- I had to send them a screen shot/copy of my statement showing the charge (you can black other info out) -- but it definitely gave me a negative view of their company.

Long story short, if you choose to use this site, check your credit card statement. If you're charged a foreign transaction fee, go after the refund!

Hi SugarStar00. I'm on your roll-call!! We are flying into FLL on Friday after DD gets out of school. We are using SAS for the return from MIA back to FLL after the cruise. Were not able to use them on Friday due to late night. We're using a different transport company for that.

For a hotel.... check out the hilton brands. There were some reasonable rates a few weeks ago (150 range). Make a reservation (NOT the pre-pay type) now. Then spend some time over the next few weeks searching alternatives. There is a 'stickie' on the top of this site with lots of details and information on using priceline. Others use last minute travel, bookit, etc. Also, do you or spouse work for a Company that has rates with a hotel chain? That is what I used to get the Marriott Biscayne Bay. Not sure what your definition of inexpensive is.... but during spring break prices are very high.

Here is a link to another thread with Miami hotel suggestions. There is a poster named RuthlessBunny who has provided an excellent recap of the various areas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1299421&highlight=ruthlessbunny

Archived