Must Sees in Fairbanks

doublemm16

Hi Everyone!!

My mom and I will be going on a Princess Cruisetour in early June 2011. We are flying into Fairbanks a day early, so we can adjust to the time change. We will now have a full day to sightsee before our cruisetour officially begins. As part of our tour, we will be going on the Sternwheeler Riverboat Cruise and going to the El Dorado Goldmine.

Aside from these tours, is there anything that is considered a "must see" while staying in Fairbanks? We are pretty openminded at this point. We would consider anything that does not require a float plane or a helicopter (mom does not like small planes). I have been searching around the Alaska board and have seen some things mentioned, but I am just curious if there is one thing that we should not miss.

I would like to thank everyone who contributes to these boards. Over the years I have obtained large amounts of invaluable information.

Thanks in advance!!

Mindi:D

Some have said the gold mine is a tourist trap and I would tend to agree. But you are probably stuck if it is part of the tour.

What are you interested in? The museum there is great. There is an antique car museum as well, maybe an Arctic Circle day trip? Large animal research center? Public Lands Info Center? Lots to choose from, but a "must see" to you might not be a "must see" to anyone else and vice versa:D

it would be helpful if you included your interests or if you will have a car. The UofA has a very nice botanical garden if you're interested in flowers, a museum and the Large Animal Research Station with musk ox.

Most people find the pipeline exhibit at the edge of town to be quite interesting. If you have a car you could drive to Chena Hot Springs; it's a nice drive and often moose are seen along the road. You might be intested in the hot springs and their ice museum too. Google Fairbanks visitor information to get suggestions. It's hard for others to determine your must sees

Thanks for the input so far. I did not include any interests, because we have never been to Alaska, and we are not sure what to see. I have been researching the Chena Hot Springs. That is a possibility. The day trip to the Arctic Circle also sounds interesting. We like flowers, and the botanical gardens sounds like yet another appealing option.

FT....I would like to hear what others consider a "must see." Even if I do not have an interest in it, I would not know until others tell me about it.

I am stuck on the Gold Mine Tour...it comes with the package.:rolleyes:

We also are doing a land tour and are heading to Fairbanks a day early. I have booked the Fairbanks Highlight Tour, $49.00ea. It is from 12:30 to 6pm and goes to Santa Claus House in North Pole, Trans Alaska Pipeline, Georgeson Botanical garden, Reindeer experiment farm and Museum of the North. It is through 1st laska outdoor school (http://1stalaskaoutdoorschool.com)

We also are doing a land tour and are heading to Fairbanks a day early. I have booked the Fairbanks Highlight Tour, $49.00ea. It is from 12:30 to 6pm and goes to Santa Claus House in North Pole, Trans Alaska Pipeline, Georgeson Botanical garden, Reindeer experiment farm and Museum of the North. It is through 1st laska outdoor school (http://1stalaskaoutdoorschool.com)

This sounds like fun. I do want to see North Pole in Fairbanks. The price is right too. Thank you for posting the link.

this sounds great! This may be the way to go.

Thanks for posting the link and information!!!

Great price for the city tour ! If you rented a car and followed that route on your own it would cost about the same. I assume the price includes admission into the 3 UofA attractions ( museum, gardens and research station).

About the same price, but car rental lends more flexibility.

One day car rental with Avis $25

Gas $10

Admission to Museum of the North $10 x 2 = $20

LARS $5 x 2 = $10

Botanical Garden $3 x 2 = $6

Total $71 on your own, for comparison.

Hi Everyone!!

My mom and I will be going on a Princess Cruisetour in early June 2011. We are flying into Fairbanks a day early, so we can adjust to the time change. We will now have a full day to sightsee before our cruisetour officially begins. As part of our tour, we will be going on the Sternwheeler Riverboat Cruise and going to the El Dorado Goldmine.

Aside from these tours, is there anything that is considered a "must see" while staying in Fairbanks? We are pretty openminded at this point. We would consider anything that does not require a float plane or a helicopter (mom does not like small planes). I have been searching around the Alaska board and have seen some things mentioned, but I am just curious if there is one thing that we should not miss.

I would like to thank everyone who contributes to these boards. Over the years I have obtained large amounts of invaluable information.

Thanks in advance!!

We are renting a car and planning on going to Chena Hot Springs and Ice Hotel in the morning, a quick stop at santa's house and then pioneer park for dinner and a show

An alternative, since I am assuming this is a per person rate, all these are easily gotten to via a rental car. The only admission is the museum. It makes a difference- IF this is just the raindeer farm next to the botanical garden, OR the superior Musk Ox/raindeer research tour??

Archived