Resident rates

jefarl

Why do cruise lines offer resident rates for various states from time to time? just noticed Celebrity is offering rates at about $200/pp less than what i paid (still the same price on their site) for people from various states but not mine.

anyone know the logic in this marketing approach?

It varies. Sometimes the RR's are given to states in the north that they don't have a large client base from and they are trying to lure them in. Sometimes (and especially on shorter cruises) they are trying to get people who are "local's" to the home port to fill up the ship.

I've never qualified for resident rate living in Oklahoma, Texas or Tennesse but maybe in the future when I get to Florida.

RR's are not always offerred in fact to me they seem to be a rarety.

It varies. Sometimes the RR's are given to states in the north that they don't have a large client base from and they are trying to lure them in. Sometimes (and especially on shorter cruises) they are trying to get people who are "local's" to the home port to fill up the ship.

I've never qualified for resident rate living in Oklahoma, Texas or Tennesse but maybe in the future when I get to Florida.

RR's are not always offerred in fact to me they seem to be a rarety.

Yeah, what's up with that! What are we Okies...chopped liver :D

Yeah, what's up with that! What are we Okies...chopped liver :D

I agree........definately not chopped liver........

I'll be moving home next year when I retire, and I'm really not looking forward to that extra long drive from Tulsa to Galveston or NOLA...yuk....I would almost rather pony up airfare rather than start my cruise with an 8+ hour drive............

Actually, the resident rate discount is what turned me off to TA's :(

Last cruise there was a very short-lived Res. Rate offered, (I check twice a day). Only my TA could file an Early Saver Claim and by the time she responded the offer was poof...gone! Now I deal direct and can respond as soon as I notice it.

Mike

For the first time ever I saw a resident rate for Nebraska, on Celebrity, I think. We weren't able to avail ourselves of the rare opportunity though, darn it. I think we middle of the country states are overlooked in that area pretty often.

For the first time ever, I saw an unbelieveable rate for GA Residents a couple of weeks ago. I waited until that night to check with my daughers and (you guessed it)......POOF....gone. I won't make that mistake again. I could have put a 24 hour hold and didn't. I'm still hitting myself in the head for that one.

I agree........definately not chopped liver........

I'll be moving home next year when I retire, and I'm really not looking forward to that extra long drive from Tulsa to Galveston or NOLA...yuk....I would almost rather pony up airfare rather than start my cruise with an 8+ hour drive............

The problem is that when you figure getting to the airport (allowing time for traffic delays so you don't risk missing the flight), checking in (maybe paying extra for bags), going through security, waiting to board, actual flying time (even assuming no delays), getting off the plane, claiming luggage, etc --- it turns out that flying almost any distance consumes almost 8 hours when everything is considered.

A 400 mile (8 hour drive) flight would take an hour flying time plus at least 3 to 4 hours just getting to and from and hanging around -- driving that distance can be preferable to flying.

Why do cruise lines offer resident rates for various states from time to time? just noticed Celebrity is offering rates at about $200/pp less than what i paid (still the same price on their site) for people from various states but not mine.

anyone know the logic in this marketing approach?

I called my TA about this and she really couldn't give me a definative answer BUT she checked the Celebrity site she accesses and found a resident rate for PA that was not posted on the company's web site. She made the change for me... Why Celebrity did not have it up is another mystery but people should always have their TA check back directly from time to time...

The cruise lines utilize very sophisticated "yield managment" programs designed to fill the maximum number of berths at the maximum attainable price. This means they have all kinds of models on how to fill remaining berths without having to deal with booked passegners demanding price adjustments. For example, when they need to fill lots of empty berths they might have a special resident discount for certain states where they have very few bookings for that cruise.

Hank

Archived