Oceania's Internet Packages Cost Too Much

gillianrose

I posted the package prices in another thread that was unrelated to the Internet, so I figure this needs it's own topic.

The following are the prices for Internet on Oceania, and are too high, especially compared to some other cruise lines.

"Pricing (OCEANI)

We offer 6 different rate packages, which include the following:

-$.95 per minute with no package

-100 minutes for $80.00, additional minutes are $.80 per minute

-200 minutes for $140.00, additional minutes are $.70 per minute

-500 minutes for $300.00, additional minutes are $.60 per minute

-800 minutes for $400.00, additional minutes are $.50 per minute

-1,200 minutes for $540.00, additional minutes are $.45 per minute

Package amounts are charged upfront and no refunds will be made for unused minutes. All additional minutes are charged at the same rate level.

---------------------------------------------------------

On another line (a luxury line that has a less expensive per diem than Oceania) the current rates are much, much less:

- 120 minutes for $50

- 600 minutes for $200

-1,500 minutes for $300 (That's 25 hours)

We do have reservations on "O" for summer 2011 but reviewing their excursion charges, internet connection charges, gratuities and transfer fees we intend to do further research on SS and RSSC and see if the overall cost on these lines would be more reasonable.

Just like the dining thread you have to decide what line suits your needs

I would not pay the $$ to sail on Crystal just to get cheaper internet rates

If the rates are too high on Oceania then just do not use the service.

Just like the dining thread you have to decide what line suits your needs

I would not pay the $$ to sail on Crystal just to get cheaper internet rates

If the rates are too high on Oceania then just do not use the service.

I didn't mention Crystal Cruises in this thread because it isn't the important thing here (but as to $$, they are generally less expensive per diem than the Marina, all things considered). So far, I have checked four cruise lines and all of their packages are more reasonable than Oceania. Even with no package at all, Celebrity charges 65 cents per minute and with packages goes down to 42 cents per minute. Newer ships provide an opportunity for modern technology that costs less.

There are many people who want or need to spend time communicating with people off the ship (whether for work, pleasure, or family responsibility) and I think Oceania's prices are out of line. Lots of people do need to use services such as the Internet, especially if they want to take longer cruises and those people do pay attention to Internet prices onboard.

If using the internet on Marina will be paying per minute or package, will that mean an acutal connection? My frustration came with paying for lots of minutes and getting only a small fraction of time on the internet itself. For example, I enjoy checking in her on CC and was never able to do so on or last Panama Crossing trip. Services were better in the lab, but still lacked reliability. Trying to send/receive email's was hit or miss. I am willing to pay for the "hit" but what about the "miss"?.....not to mention wasting lots of time waiting to see if there will be any signal at all. Perhaps there will be a tv channel that would post how the internet connections are, or some type of information to let those in the cabins know not to waste time/money trying?

If using the internet on Marina will be paying per minute or package, will that mean an acutal connection? My frustration came with paying for lots of minutes and getting only a small fraction of time on the internet itself. For example, I enjoy checking in her on CC and was never able to do so on or last Panama Crossing trip. Services were better in the lab, but still lacked reliability. Trying to send/receive email's was hit or miss. I am willing to pay for the "hit" but what about the "miss"?.....not to mention wasting lots of time waiting to see if there will be any signal at all.

Yes, I think there is certain amount of "withdrawal" I would feel if I could not access the internet reliably, not to mention we actually have to do some work when gone for a longer time.

If you will read the press releases from past few days, you will note that Oceania has announced a new enhancement in their "Pillars of Distinction" phase - "dramatically faster internet service" with a new satelitte providor MTN. Silversea has also just installed their internet service with MTN.

No information was published as to the actual speeds but you can search MTN to read more.

I understand that Marina will sail with this new service, and it will be worked on during the drydocking of all three other ships.....

If you will read the press releases from past few days, you will note that Oceania has announced a new enhancement in their "Pillars of Distinction" phase - "dramatically faster internet service" with a new satelitte providor MTN. Silversea has also just installed their internet service with MTN.

No information was published as to the actual speeds but you can search MTN to read more.

I understand that Marina will sail with this new service, and it will be worked on during the drydocking of all three other ships.....

Thanks, Rickey. I understand there is so much no one really knows about Marina yet. I am going to look up MTN and keep my fingers crossed.

I remember the post about the "Pillars of Distinction II" and applaud faster internet speeds if and when it appears on the ships, but I still think the posted price is too high, higher than any other line that I have seen.

Yes, I think there is certain amount of "withdrawal" I would feel if I could not access the internet reliably, not to mention we actually have to do some work when gone for a longer time.

How about simply purchasing an international package for your blackberry for a month for around $50? You definitely will get reception in every port you visit, at least in Europe.

You know the costs going in, apparently on several lines, and it would seem that this is a significant issue for you. Therefore, did you not factor those costs into the total cost of the cruise when comparing your alternatives?

If not, why?

If so, why complain after the fact?

Re the speed question - Internet speed was nothorrible on Nautica a week ago although it did help to sit on the chair beside the door to the hallway with the door propped open with the garbage can - the wireless repeaters run down the middle of the ship so the less steel you put between you and the repeaters the better the signal.

Your profile indicates that you are retired. We are not.

Oceania is expensive for internet but its no secret and one can accept that or sail within another line.

For me the real issue is value for money and I would at least like this expensive internet access to work well and in my experience on my last 2 cruises in the med it did not. If anything the rate should be dropped to accommodate the poor speed. It feels a little rude to have a high rate per minute and have a service that takes (and this was reported by a number of passengers) on average 18 minutes to send a standard email.

Happily Oceania seem to fiixing this with recent upgrades. If they do I dont mind the rate per minute - I just want the internet on board to require less minutes.

Well...I guess I ticked off enough people on the specialty restaurant thread...time to move on to this one ;)

First, it reminds me of the old joke where a guy sees an advertised special at a Golf Resort: Suites for $20 per night...

So, he makes a reservation and checks into the hotels and, sure enough, for a mere $20 a night, he gets a beautiful one bedroom suite with fireplace, wet bar and a balcony overlooking the 14th hole...

So, he decides to head over to the driving range...and he asks for a bucket of balls...The attendant gives him a bucket and asks him to sign a slip charging $300 to his room...

The guy is astonished..."$300?!? For a bucket of balls?!? That's outrageous...it's a minor charge at most golf resorts!"

"Well", the attendant tells him, "Some resorts get you by the rooms..."

Okay, seriously, here's the deal:

Internet charges, on every cruise line, are outrageous...

Back home, it's pennies a day...

But, it is not just the fees...Internet connections on all ships are tediously slow...

But, the great thing about internet charges is that you don't need to pay them...

You can bypass getting your Spam ...and your offers for free millions from your Nigerian friends... and those cute photos of cats your sister-in-law sends you...and so on...while you are cruising...It's not worth wasting your time...

If you need to check e-mails for important stuff...or to get an urgent message to someone, even at the high per minute rates, you can keep it down to just a few minutes here and there...

Or there are other really cheap options...You can find an internet cafe while in port...those usually have really fast connections...and will charge you just a few dollars an hour...

I do not factor in hundreds of dollars worth of internet minutes into my cruise budget...because I won't ever be on the internet for hundreds of minutes...

Are Oceania's charges higher than most others? Yeah...I'd agree they are...but it is a CONTROLLABLE cost...

And, yes, their shore excursions tend to cost more...

And the worst is their outrageously priced hotel packages...

Guess what? You can control all of these costs. No one makes you book these through the cruise line. You will be better off booking your own tours...and your own hotels...and your own internet usage...

Or would you rather have the cost for these dropped 20% each, but your cruise fare raised at least as much?

Nothing is free...

Cruise lines...yes, all cruise lines...may hold the line on higher cruise fares, then try to make some of it back on all of the optional items...

It's like those cruise lines with free booze...but the fare for the cruise is double...Guess what? I can pay for my booze separately and come out ahead...Or "Free shore excursions"...Do you really think they are free? Or just blended into the price?

All cruise lines have a "bottom line"...Somewhere in their schedule of charges, they need to make back their investment, their costs, their overhead and a reasonable profit...If they don't pack it into their cruise fares, they will pack it into their shore excursion prices, their hotel package prices, their drink prices, their gift shop prices...

If they dont get you by the rooms, they get you by the balls!

Of course, whether you subsidize others or they subsidize you is all in how you use these optional items...

The internet is costly...get accustomed to using it less...

BTW, aside from internet cafes, there are other ways to control your costs...

Use internet services through your cell phone provider (of course, be wary of their fee schedules as well)...

Bring your laptop and type out all your emails before logging on, then just send them and log off...working offline rather than logging on and letting the clock tick saves money...

But, in the end, just like specialty restaurant reservations, whether you pay 80 cents a minute or 60 or 50 cents a minute should NOT be the reason you pick or don't pick a cruise...

Well...I guess I ticked off enough people on the specialty restaurant thread...time to move on to this one ;)

LOL, I just finished reading the specialty restaurant thread...wow! I agree with your posts on both that thread and this thread.

How about simply purchasing an international package for your blackberry for a month for around $50? You definitely will get reception in every port you visit, at least in Europe.

Why do you ASS-U-ME I have a blackberry?

I don't have a blackberry, and as to the second part, I don't want to waste valuable shore time I would rather spend sightseeing. I want to use my business laptop on the ship while it transports me from port to port. Does Oceania not want to lure productive business travelers to book cruises?

There's much less (of interest to us) to see and do on the ship (aside from dining) than there is in European, Asian, Australian, Polynesian or anything other than run-of-the-mill Caribbean ports.

Why do you ASS-U-ME I have a blackberry?

I don't have a blackberry, and as to the second part, I don't want to waste valuable shore time I would rather spend sightseeing. I want to use my business laptop on the ship while it transports me from port to port. Does Oceania not want to lure productive business travelers to book cruises?

There's much less (of interest to us) to see and do on the ship (aside from dining) than there is in European, Asian, Australian, Polynesian or anything other than run-of-the-mill Caribbean ports.

I was trying to give you a useful alternative which we always have used; there certainly is no need to yell or call names. Many business people do have them. BTW, we do not waste time using it off the ship but in the morning before leaving for breakfast because that is most efficient for the time difference between Europe and the US.

I was trying to give you a useful alternative which we always have used; there certainly is no need to yell or call names. Many business people do have them. BTW, we do not waste time using it off the ship but in the morning before leaving for breakfast because that is most efficient for the time difference between Europe and the US.

I did not yell. I did not call you a name.

You did assume that I had a blackberry, based on what you wrote. You could have said "here is what I do, I use a blackberry, etc." but that was not what you wrote. I happen to hate blackberry products and know of someone who was crashed into by a blackberry-using driver, so I am perhaps rather sensitive about that and similar texting products.

Also, your suggestion was for a way to accomplish what I want to accomplish on the ship instead of while in port, which totally goes against the reason to travel to interesting places.

The "ASS-U-ME" was there for a real purpose, as I am pretty sure that someone else would have added it if I had not.

As long as they can get those fees, they will continue to charge them. When we wise up and stop buying internet time so that we can send useless trivial messages or read totally inane e-mails, they will have to lower their charges.

It is call "the law of supply and demand".

DON

I would have done the same thing before retirement. Vacation meant vacation even then.

On short cruises I don't do as much work on the computer, but we are looking at longer itineraries, and it is essential that we are able to keep in touch and I expect not to be nickel-and-dimed in order to get decent internet packages on the ship.

Are you actually defending the prices on Oceania, or do you just like to argue?

As long as they can get those fees, they will continue to charge them. When we wise up and stop buying internet time so that we can send useless trivial messages or read totally inane e-mails, they will have to lower their charges.

It is call "the law of supply and demand".

DON

I cannot speak to the type of email you send or receive, but it is obviously very different from what I get and send.

And there is another way to look at it as to their "getting those fees."

Business people who need to get real work done (your suggestion that internet usage is all trivial is downright insulting) will factor that into their decision about which line will get their business. Oceania might be losing valuable business by pricing the Internet packages so high.

I suppose you don't like to read travel blogs that passengers write from ships? Some people enjoy such things, and besides that, it seems to me that much useful information is sent to Cruise Critic members by people who are on a ship and yet post to Cruise Critic.

For me, being able to use the internet is a form of relaxing. Reading the news, checking CC boards, sending an email about how our trip is going, looking at a map of our next destination because I forgot something, etc. I would not use valuable time in ports to do this but in my stateroom or even in the computer lab, it is an activity I hope to do on Marina. I have written before on this post: it is not the cost, it is the reliability and communication. If i spend 30 minutes on the internet I am willing to pay the fee O charges. My objection is spending 30 minutes and not being able to get a connection and not being told (on the tv?) that the connections are down or poor.

Last year someone was very patient and explained the difficulty of getting an internet connection on board a ship; it made sense to me. How will it be any better, has technology (or frequencies) changed?

Ofcourse I can be without the internet, but hope things are getting better. It's my vacation!!

Archived