Pugwash goes to France.

capnpugwash

Hi Salacia,

I think there were some bargains to be had and if many of those also got OBC, I am sure that would help towards the 'atmosphere'. (just mistyped that and it looked as though I had imbibed a few drinks too many :D)

heywood

LOL

Hi Heywood. Ah, good point... I can see how OBC's would contribute to the atmosphere, especially since the shops on board were open for only a few hours, leaving limited options for places to spend :eek: BTW, on this side of the pond, I've heard 1 and 2 night cruises on other cruise lines sometimes referred to as a Booze Cruise.

The shortest cruise I've taken was a QM2 4 night NY to Eleuthera. I didn't notice any problems on board & we had a terrific time. Sadly, that cruise hasn't been on the schedule for years...it was great for a quick getaway.

Cheers,

Salacia

I have read many reviews and talked to many long time cruisers and my impression is that 5 day and shorter cruises tend to have more problems with poorly behaving passengers than the longer cruises.

In some regards it seems the cheaper the cruise the cheaper the cruisers.

I have read many reviews and talked to many long time cruisers and my impression is that 5 day and shorter cruises tend to have more problems with poorly behaving passengers than the longer cruises.

In some regards it seems the cheaper the cruise the cheaper the cruisers.

I don't want people to think that this trip was full of yobs behaving badly, there were the one bunch of around 20 to 25 very loud and poorly behaved people in one bar on one evening. The rest of passengers were perfectly well behaved so we are only talking of 1% of the 2,500 souls on board. So please don't over-react and cancel your planned trips. :)

I was also onboard for this short cruise in the Queens Grill & i found my fellow Grill passengers perfectly acceptable, But i did see some very bad behaviour in The Golden Lion at lunchtime 2 men wearing only boxer shorts! & a towel over the shoulder wandering around as if they did not know where they where, & at night lot of people that very intoxicated indeed, Now a point to consider this cruise had at least 5 large Corporate groups onboard from UK Travel companies & a Carnival training team as well!!

I was also onboard for this short cruise in the Queens Grill & i found my fellow Grill passengers perfectly acceptable, But i did see some very bad behaviour in The Golden Lion at lunchtime 2 men wearing only boxer shorts! & a towel over the shoulder wandering around as if they did not know where they where, & at night lot of people that very intoxicated indeed, Now a point to consider this cruise had at least 5 large Corporate groups onboard from UK Travel companies & a Carnival training team as well!!

I did hear that there were a number of what were described as "Travel Agents" to whom high spirits were ascribed but I didn't see them, or if I did, I didn't notice them.

We did this trip in July 08 and again on 8th Nov and i will never do it again no matter what the cost.

We were lucky to have an a1 red card so got on the first bus down to QE2 Terminal but found the service to be very poor compared to any other trip.

No white glove service in the Grills lounge for cream Tea:mad:

And many people just on the ship to get drunk and act like animals.

I did however bump in to Lanky lad and Alan on deck.

In regard to the shorter trips does anyone know if the 5 day voyages are CHAV or NED(as we say in Scotland) infested. I was considering a short 5 night on the QE in April just to see the ship. I'm reconsidering now, any thoughts or personal experiance?

I have travelled on a 5 day QM2 trip before and my only complaint was that it was too short. The people were great, there was no problem at all with the guests, they were just normal Cunard passengers. You should book it and enjoy it.

Happy to endorse the Capn's observations, 2 x QM2 4 nighters and not a hint of trouble, neds, sovvy rings, white shell suits or Buckfast anywhere to be seen. Do book, don't be put off by what you are reading.

I don't want people to think that this trip was full of yobs behaving badly, there were the one bunch of around 20 to 25 very loud and poorly behaved people in one bar on one evening. The rest of passengers were perfectly well behaved so we are only talking of 1% of the 2,500 souls on board. So please don't over-react and cancel your planned trips. :)

I think the group you refer to were part of a large group of travel agents possible on a freebie some of them were from the sales team at Carnival, Southampton. They all seemed to be having a good time and i'm sure bar takings were up. G32 was exceptionally busy.

neds, sovvy rings, white shell suits or Buckfast

Translate Please ?? :) :)

It is Scottish. Neds = Chavs; sovvy rings= Sovereign Rings (large Britisf Coin that is used as an ostentatious signet ring); Shell Suits are polyester matching tops and trousers, similar to a track suit and very popular with neds and chavs; buckfast or buckie is a low cost alcoholic drink which is popular with this type.

It is Scottish. Neds = Chavs; sovvy rings= Sovereign Rings (large Britisf Coin that is used as an ostentatious signet ring); Shell Suits are polyester matching tops and trousers, similar to a track suit and very popular with neds and chavs; buckfast or buckie is a low cost alcoholic drink which is popular with this type.

TNX for the Info :)

I have to say this cruise was not a good advert for Cunard :(

I think some or all of those Chavs came past my cabin at 3am Wednesday morning and woke me up. :mad:

It's a good job I know this was the exception on the rule.

Hi Stephen, sorry the trip had its downside, hope the next one is better. :)

Love to you all

Boo

Hi Stephen, sorry the trip had its downside, hope the next one is better. :)

Love to you all

Boo

Hi Boo

It was just lovely to be on board QM2 so I overlooked the downsides and got on with enjoying myself. I feel sorry for those who had not been with Cunard before who may have gone away unhappy. Having said that I was sat with a couple in the Queen's Room for afternoon tea who loved it and were going to book a longer voyage.

Hi Boo

It was just lovely to be on board QM2 so I overlooked the downsides and got on with enjoying myself. I feel sorry for those who had not been with Cunard before who may have gone away unhappy. Having said that I was sat with a couple in the Queen's Room for afternoon tea who loved it and were going to book a longer voyage.

I've now done three 2 night cruises (two lines, three ships) and both a one and a three night trip (both Cunard). All, save the P&O two nighter, were fine. Yes - the one nighter had those one wouldn't normally see on a Cunarder, but even though a lot was drunk, there was no bad behaviour I saw. Plenty of Hen parties on the P&O ship (which I liked less than Pride of Dover, my most recent P&O ship).

These short trips aren't as good as the longer ones - the longer the better in my view - but do at least get one to sea.

WD

I gather that there are some Carnival passengers this week that are more unhappy... :)

Hi Underwatr, from the early live reports of those passengers disembarking from Carnival Splendor, I think the situation was met with calm, courage and steadfast behaviour by the majority of passenges. Kudos to those passengers on Carnival Splendor who followed the rules of the sea, remained calm and followed Captain's orders.

And by early reports, the crew rose to the occasion. Three cheers for the crew!

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited to include apology for thread drift. Mea Culpa.

...The Golden Lion at lunchtime 2 men wearing only boxer shorts! & a towel over the shoulder wandering around as if they did not know where they where... quote]

Hi zider. Where I live, 'boxer shorts' are a style of underwear. I'm hoping there is a different meaning on that side of the pond :eek: ?

...The Golden Lion at lunchtime 2 men wearing only boxer shorts! & a towel over the shoulder wandering around as if they did not know where they where... quote]

Hi zider. Where I live, 'boxer shorts' are a style of underwear. I'm hoping there is a different meaning on that side of the pond :eek: ?

No they mean the same thing :eek: perhaps they were just the same style only a bit more substantial ;)

I'm sure we have all wandered around at some point not knowing where we are going but thankfully more appropriately dressed.:D

I'm glad to see that our friends who were on board enjoyed the sojourn.

As has been remarked, it is sad for those who were hoping to try out a Cunard experience and were disappointed with the debacle of embarkation, shortage of staff and the questionable behaviour of a few guests.

The meaning is just the same on this side of the pond they where coloured but they where boxer shorts.

• 3 weeks later...
Good trip report capn', I have to say the type of passengers on the ship did leave a little to be desired at times.. I am younger than most that travel (33) and didn't appreciate some of the staff's attitude towards me whilst aboard on this cruise; it certainly felt like most of them didn't care.

There is certainly nothing wrong with 2-5 day cruises, it does give you the chance to try out different cabin positions and classes on the ship instead of picking one at random and being stuck with it for two weeks.

Our waiter in the Britannia Club was extremely poor and I met our cabin steward just once. My first time on the QM2 and I wasn't very impressed. I will be booking a TA on her late next year and will reserve my final judgement until then. Thankfully, I assumed with so many staff moving to QE and it being 'just' a two night cruise that this usually wouldn't be the Cunard way of running things, I am just pleased I didn't bring on anyone with me who had never sailed Cunard before..

Cunard made a big mess of this operation, if they had spoken about what and why Qm2 wasn't in the correct berth things would have been a lot easier for everyone.

Sorry I missed the CC meet, I did visit straight after sailaway but I guess it must have finished by then!

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, who was your waiter?

Roy

Archived