Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Speaking of the crew, I wonder if those supplies, spam and bread are going to be for the crew during the 10 day trip back to port for fixing? Its weird, you think cruise ship, you think massive amounts of food they bring.

They would have enough food onboard for the current cruise and then some but after a certain amount of time, any fresh items would no longer be servable. Things like milk, eggs, meat, etc would spoil quickly without power. I'm guessing they don't have large quantities of shelf stable food onboard - at least not enough to feed 4,000 people (I'm including crew in this number) for 3 days solely using the shelf stable food because it wouldn't typically be necessary on a cruise. This is just a completely unusual situation.

I'm a pretty go-with-the-flow type of person and do well in emergencies so I think I'd be fine. DH is finishing his 2nd tour to Iraq so no running water, no toilets (yes- I know they've been fixed), no a/c ,cold food and getting shot at on the bus ride home (just kidding- they will be fine) is just another day at the office for him!

All kidding aside- I do feel bad for the people on the ship and you will have people who deal with this as just one of those things that happen and those that don't deal well with it. I think the worst is yet to come in debarkation. That tends to be a little of a madhouse anyway on self-assist so I'm sure that will be difficult. I really feel bad for the crew as they are having to work very hard, with the same amenities as the passengers, to try to make sure all the passengers are taken care of.

All my experiences that seemed like nightmares while they were happening were not nearly as bad when I looked backed on them and made for great bar stories later!

God speed to all of them and I hope they can make the best of the a bad situation!

And those people, including you, are wrong. They are not one in the same.

I clearly do. I also understand some people refer to PVSA as the Jones Act.

Wouldn't this qualify as a Cruise to Nowhere?

The Passenger Services Act, however, does not prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from and returning to the same U.S. port or foreign-flagged ships departing from a U.S. port, visiting a foreign port, and then continuing to a second U.S. port. However, in order to embark in a US port and disembark in a second US port, the vessel must visit a distant foreign port outside of North America (Bermuda counts as part of North America). It does not prevent a ship from taking on passengers at a US port and then returning them to another U.S. city by ground or air, or vice versa, as long as the cruise ship returns to its departing point without stopping (a "cruise to nowhere"), or stops in at least one foreign port.

The Passenger Services Act, however, does not prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from and returning to the same U.S. port or foreign-flagged ships departing from a U.S. port, visiting a foreign port, and then continuing to a second U.S. port. However, in order to embark in a US port and disembark in a second US port, the vessel must visit a distant foreign port outside of North America (Bermuda counts as part of North America). It does not prevent a ship from taking on passengers at a US port and then returning them to another U.S. city by ground or air, or vice versa, as long as the cruise ship returns to its departing point without stopping (a "cruise to nowhere"), or stops in at least one foreign port.

Ship left Long Beach, CA and will be docking in Mexico

Seriously, if I was stuck on the ship like this, I'd just hang out on my balcony and take a cold shower now and then and grab me some spam and croissants and a bottle of water and watch the show. For entertainment, I'd head up to the aft and find me a nice little corner to sit in a lounge chair. I think the worst part of this all is going to be getting off in Ensanada and all the travel to get home. That is going to be worse IMO. I'd be be bummed about my vacation week, but then I'd just be excited to look forward to and book another cruise for free! The people I feel most sorry for are people with disabilities and the elderly and people with special medications that have to be refrigerated or something. The average person can handle this, it's not a disaster, but I assure you that the huge whiners will come playing through on this.

They would have enough food onboard for the current cruise and then some but after a certain amount of time, any fresh items would no longer be servable. Things like milk, eggs, meat, etc would spoil quickly without power. I'm guessing they don't have large quantities of shelf stable food onboard - at least not enough to feed 4,000 people (I'm including crew in this number) for 3 days solely using the shelf stable food because it wouldn't typically be necessary on a cruise. This is just a completely unusual situation.

Thats true I didnt think about that. Wow those people are going to have on hell of a story no lights, no toilets, air lifted spam!! I wonder how long before a Black Market springs up. Some underground "warmish sorta melted Chocolate Cake" for 5 spam tins!!!

How could it be cruise from nowhere if they are docking in Mx? They can get back to Long Beach but no one would be crazy enough to take 10 days to get into LB, I don't see how it could take that long in the first place. If they get to Ensenada tomorrow night, they should be in LB by Friday night or Sat morning. That would be a long trip to nowhere.

:D;) Yeah, I was laughing pretty hard thinking of that one -- that said, I do NOT mean to make light of what people on that ship are having to deal with -- and they probably won't even get to Ensenada until tomorrow, bless them.

What a media frenzy THAT will be!

No! And no one is making light of what they are going through. This thread would have an entirely different tone if anyone had gotten hurt. Thank God no one did. But a few of us are just taking a few stabs at Spam, not the passengers or their situation. :)

Speaking of the crew, I wonder if those supplies, spam and bread are going to be for the crew during the 10 day trip back to port for fixing? Its weird, you think cruise ship, you think massive amounts of food they bring. Unless they actually refill the ship in a Mexico port as it probably would be cheaper so maybe they are not full of food departing?

All food stocks are loaded in the US. It is very rare for a ship that leaves from the US to take on food supplies in a foreign port. In this case here, they probably will truck supplies to the ship from the US.

For the OP who asked about the heaters in the MRE's. They are activated by adding water.

Dave

Not quite that simple. It's going to take them about 18-24 hours if I read the news right to pull them into port once connected. That distance is about 50 miles.

The distance from Ensenada to Long Beach (assuming that's where they go) looks to be about 300-350 miles depending on shipping lanes, so at best you would be looking at 4-6 days and I think I am underestimating.

San Diego would probably be another 24-36 hours and I suppose that would be doable, but given that the ship will be towed, without power for emergency maneuvers in open ocean that would not be a risk I would be prepared to take with passengers and even unnecessary crew. Once the passengers are off I would disembark all the passenger service crew as well.

right but i mean if they can get to ensenada in 2 days with the tugs they should be able to get to LB in another 2 days with the tugs.

The weather may dictate to some degree too. I doesn't look too bad on the satelite for the next couple of days. We may get rain tonight but then nothing.

Not quite that simple. It's going to take them about 18-24 hours if I read the news right to pull them into port once connected. That distance is about 50 miles.

The distance from Ensenada to Long Beach (assuming that's where they go) looks to be about 300-350 miles depending on shipping lanes, so at best you would be looking at 4-6 days and I think I am underestimating.

San Diego would probably be another 24-36 hours and I suppose that would be doable, but given that the ship will be towed, without power for emergency maneuvers in open ocean that would not be a risk I would be prepared to take with passengers and even unnecessary crew. Once the passengers are off I would disembark all the passenger service crew as well.

yes it will be a nightmare of getting the ship into port. true

All food stocks are loaded in the US. It is very rare for a ship that leaves from the US to take on food supplies in a foreign port. In this case here, they probably will truck supplies to the ship from the US.

For the OP who asked about the heaters in the MRE's. They are activated by adding water.

Dave

According to the Executive Chef on the Splendor when asked at the Chef's table dinner. All food for the week is loaded at Long Beach. They don't restock at foreign ports becasue the nothing would be USDA inspected. They also carry 5 extra days worth of food on board in case of ummm emergency.

That is why I was wondering earlier exactly what the Navy would be bringing. Depending on how quickly they get to Ensenada, it is my guess the Spam won't ever be opened.

According to the Executive Chef on the Splendor when asked at the Chef's table dinner. All food for the week is loaded at Long Beach. They don't restock at foreign ports becasue the nothing would be USDA inspected. They also carry 5 extra days worth of food on board in case of ummm emergency.

That is why I was wondering earlier exactly what the Navy would be bringing. Depending on how quickly they get to Ensenada, it is my guess the Spam won't ever be opened.

I believe that majority of the food on board is dependent on some type of cooking and/or refrigeration. Sounds like that isn't available so I would assume the Navy is bringing non perishable food.

Mainly Spam and Twinkies.;)

I believe that majority of the food on board is dependent on some type of cooking and/or refrigeration. Sounds like that isn't available so I would assume the Navy is bringing non perishable food.

Twinkies last forever.

i believe that majority of the food on board is dependent on some type of cooking and/or refrigeration. Sounds like that isn't available so i would assume the navy is bringing non perishable food.

Mainly spam and twinkies.;)

mre

How could it be cruise from nowhere if they are docking in Mx? They can get back to Long Beach but no one would be crazy enough to take 10 days to get into LB, I don't see how it could take that long in the first place. If they get to Ensenada tomorrow night, they should be in LB by Friday night or Sat morning. That would be a long trip to nowhere.

Technically all of the passengers are invoking the Vacation Cruise guarentee and are leaving the Splendor at the first foreign port.

But, most of that food is uncooked (raw meat and fish, frozen) or unbaked (flour, etc.) and/or refrigerated, spoiling quickly with no power.

I have not seen anything stating whether the cold water that is available is drinkable. If not, they must be running out of bottled water after a day or two.

Usually an emergency is being re-routed because of weather. This particular emergency took out their 'fridges and cooking ability.

They apparently don't carry tons of canned goods.

Be carefull what you say, they seem to be removing all the spam posts. Slowly going "poof"

Not quite that simple. It's going to take them about 18-24 hours if I read the news right to pull them into port once connected. That distance is about 50 miles..

FOX news said they expected them to dock tomorrow afternoon. .. but sure it could be later, if they dont get started with the towing, which should already be started

possibly: does not matter

legally this is a Maritime Search and Rescue case and most rules get thrown out the window when talking about survivors of a maritime incident. To Wit, do you think they asked survivors of the TITANIC for passports when they arrived in the US?

Reports have already said that the average # of tour buses that serve SP' will be nearly amble to take the pass' back to US

the supplieis being relayed via the REGAN are reported to have been requested by USCG - we have a bit of experience dealing with large numbers of people on ship with insufficient cooking facilities. (btw - I LIKE S-P-A-M and had my cook make me a S-P-A-M pizza every Saturday when I commanded USCG 724) Sometimes the intial loadout is dictated by what was immediately available ... if you are hungry enough you eat it - btw I lived in South Miami for Andrew - the eye passed over my house . . . no power for a few months. . .

What was asked for was canned food and paper plates/cups. A cruise ship carries a lot of refigerated food - the reefers are not working. Would you ant to eat it. HELLO Chef Boy R Dee!!!! The ship needs fresh milk for the kiddies . . . probably does not have ice any more . . .

If the ship needs a dry dock, a major question is not where BUT is it available. Believe it or not the few facilities around the US try not to stay open waiting for an accident. If they all have booked work the SP' may need to wait a bit. BEEN THERE and done that ... my ship needed an "unscheduled dry dock" but nothing was available. So we waited.

I most certainly have no idea of the damage but the On Scene Commander has reported no structural damage and to ME than means no dry dock is required. BUT, given the amount of repair that is required do not be surprised if a dry dock happens as you may was well fix other things if you are going to be down this long . . .

MAJOR GUESSES HERE but I have some experience in this world: EVERYTHING on a modern cruise ship is electric from main propulsion to garbage disposal to toilet flushing. The reports indicate a fire "in A generator" ... OK there are several and loss of one would reduce available power - maybe speed loss but this case seems much more severe.

I'm guessing that the fire got to a primary switchboard and the ship can no longer distribute power. When FANTASY caught fire back in 99 the fire was fairly contained BUT it burned thru the control cables for the steering and that ship wasn't going anywhere for a while. (I commanded the largest USCG cutter in Miami at the time). So altho the damage might not require a DD, there could be VERY SIGNIFICANT wiring/power distribution issues.

Is this an 'asipod' ship? I've always wondered how one of these would tow . . . no rudders and all.

unless you have experienced transferring people from ship to small boat and back at sea (no, not in a tender port - open sea) don't even THINK about that one.

early posts have mentioned the USCG tests that happened just b4 sailing .... hmmmm, were they testing the ability of an elevator to work after loss of primary power????

How pinched Carnival is in making ends meet???? are you joking???? are not Mexico and Afghanistan on different continents??? :confused:

How pinched Carnival is in making ends meet????

-- are you joking????

Ya think???? Carnival rakes in the dough on umbrella drinks alone...

are not Mexico and Afghanistan on different continents???

Well, now they are -- but only since the S.S. Pangaea set sail...

Archived