Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Thank you, but my cruise isn't until 12/19. When I spoke to the Carnvial rep (about 2:00 pm pst today) she told me that the 11/14 cruise hadn't been cancelled, but it had been. They are not getting their information out to their own people, which scares me on how they will get information out to their guests. When I called last night about it the carnival rep I spoke to didn't even know there had been a fire. I know this is beyond their control and I understand what they are going through. I just wish they would keep their people up to date a bit better. I totally love cruising on Carnival, and will continue to, I just wish they would tell me "they don't know" instead of pacifing me with "things will be fine" script. That makes me more nervous.

I asked about switching to the Spirit on the same day out of San Diego, but she didn't want to check availability for our group....yet. I'm not being a Bridezilla, I just want to be prepared with a plan B.

It never hurts to have a Plan B, I hope it all works out for you!:)

Thank you, but my cruise isn't until 12/19. When I spoke to the Carnvial rep (about 2:00 pm pst today) she told me that the 11/14 cruise hadn't been cancelled, but it had been. T.

Ah yes, the Xmas cruise... The price to cruise the Splendour has remained stable for awhile, but took a jump of over $100 (maybe $150ish, don't remember) today. Kind of strange for it to jump like that with the fate of the ship a bit murkey.

As for cancellations, CCL's past has been to wait until the last minute to cancel.

The ship could possibly be out for awhile. The damage to the ship is unknown and if it is extensive, they might need to tow that ship to San Fran (which can take weeks) and need people to work around the clock to get it running. Plus, don't know how it plays, but we are getting into the holiday season and possibly of weather caused delays for materials and equipment. When all is said and done, they have to get the coast guard to sign off as well.If I was a betting man, I'd say that the soonest the ship returns to service would be 12/19. As a CCL shareholder, I hope for a speedy return to service for the Splendour.

I actually think this would be a fascinating experience. Yes, it would mean visiting none of the planned ports and the loss of vacation time... but there will be other vacations.

I think that, especially since there is no danger, and since the sewage issue is addressed, that eating cold food and drinking water is not so bad.

Plus, the experience of just quietly floating along, seeing sights you can't normally see at 18 knots, and seeing the Navy and Coast Guard operations nearby, and the tugs, would all just fascinate me.

I am a fan of camping out. I don't need much more on vacation than the very basics (food, water, and space.) So I know I would be most content on that ship.

I'm sure others will disagree, but I really wish I would have been on that cruise!!!

What a not-so-good situation to be in! :( I can only Imagine what it's like onboard: a lack of food choices, room temperature drinks, not being able to sleep because it's too hot, not being able to see because it's too dark (especially in interior cabins), cold showers, and no internet, phone, TV, or connection to the outside world! And I bet the crew isn't happy, either. They've got to deal with angry passengers in addition to the list above.

I actually think this would be a fascinating experience. Yes, it would mean visiting none of the planned ports and the loss of vacation time... but there will be other vacations.

I think that, especially since there is no danger, and since the sewage issue is addressed, that eating cold food and drinking water is not so bad.

Plus, the experience of just quietly floating along, seeing sights you can't normally see at 18 knots, and seeing the Navy and Coast Guard operations nearby, and the tugs, would all just fascinate me.

I am a fan of camping out. I don't need much more on vacation than the very basics (food, water, and space.) So I know I would be most content on that ship.

I'm sure others will disagree, but I really wish I would have been on that cruise!!!

'Ya know....I don't disagee with you, the same thought has crossed my mind. But, what an experience...good and bad I am sure.

I said to DH last night......imagine the chapters that are being written in to their "life experience" books! ;)

What a not-so-good situation to be in! :( I can only Imagine what it's like onboard: a lack of food choices, room temperature drinks, not being able to sleep because it's too hot, not being able to see because it's too dark (especially in interior cabins), cold showers, and no internet, phone, TV, or connection to the outside world! And I bet the crew isn't happy, either. They've got to deal with angry passengers in addition to the list above.

Kinda like sailing on NCL.

Thank you, but my cruise isn't until 12/19. When I spoke to the Carnvial rep (about 2:00 pm pst today) she told me that the 11/14 cruise hadn't been cancelled, but it had been. They are not getting their information out to their own people, which scares me on how they will get information out to their guests. When I called last night about it the carnival rep I spoke to didn't even know there had been a fire. I know this is beyond their control and I understand what they are going through. I just wish they would keep their people up to date a bit better. I totally love cruising on Carnival, and will continue to, I just wish they would tell me "they don't know" instead of pacifing me with "things will be fine" script. That makes me more nervous.

I asked about switching to the Spirit on the same day out of San Diego, but she didn't want to check availability for our group....yet. I'm not being a Bridezilla, I just want to be prepared with a plan B.

It is very true that you may have some tough decisions here soon. But, stay on top of it! At this point YOU are the only one looking out for you and your wedding.

Keep calling....keep asking questions.....keep pushing for resolution that you would accept. I am sure you will find out much more that way - and faster - than waiting for them to contact you.

Sending a prayer for all the passengers and crew of the ship, and for all those who are providing assistance. Praying for them to try to be as calm as possible during this difficult experience. We were on our 18th cruise 2 weeks ago, I cannot imagine what the passengers and crew are experiencing onboard Splendor.

Pam in KY

I t!

I don't think it would be as fun as you think. That area always has rough seas (every MR cruise we have been on has rough sailing on the way back as the ship fights the current) and with no power for the engines and stabilizers, it is like a cork in the ocean. I bet a lot of people are sea sick.

Desperation breeds desperate measures----if I were sailing on this ship in the near future, I would eye the ice bucket with great suspicion and avoid it like the plague.:eek:

ROFLMAO! :)

I don't envy these poor passengers, and the crew even less. I can't wait to see pics from those who come back to CC Wed or Thur. I'll bet their tales will make those who would like to be there think again.

What a not-so-good situation to be in! :( I can only Imagine what it's like onboard: a lack of food choices, room temperature drinks, not being able to sleep because it's too hot,

Ahem, it's 62 degrees outside. I think they are more concerned with getting some heat in the cabin, not A/C. I have been on this same itinerary at the same time of year. Trust me, it was really chilly out on the balcony.

Ahem, it's 62 degrees outside. I think they are more concerned with getting some heat in the cabin, not A/C. I have been on this same itinerary at the same time of year. Trust me, it was really chilly out on the balcony.

Inside and oceanview would be miserably hot no matter what time of year.

My prayers are with everyone on the Splendor.

Splendor Bride, you have an amazing attitude and I love it. I never was bridezilla myself but I definatley think this would be pushing it. Good luck and I am sure you will have a wonderful Wedding and Marriage regardless of what happens.

Let me see if I got this right:

1. Ship is at sea, and has fire in the engine room and everything ceases for about 12 hours. But the fire is put out with no injuries.

2. The ship is now drifting in the Pacific Ocean.

3. The ship engineers get the cold water and toilets back on line within a couple of hours after the fire is put out. In my book that is the essentials.

3. While the ship is drifting at sea the US Navy brings supplies like bottled water, canned meats and other staple items.

4. While the ship drifts at sea, two tug boats are sent to bring the ship back to land.

5. While the ship drifts in the Pacific, one tug boat (other one is catching up) starts draging the ship back to land at a speed of 3 knots.

6. While at sea, Carnival informs the passengers that everyone on the cruise will recieve a full refund and a voucher for a future cruise compliments of CCL.

Wow, how come I can't have this type of luck on a cruise ship. Drift around the ocean, drinking bottled water and eating canned meats while knowing that my credit card will have a negetive balance on it when I get home. Plus, I can go on another cruise anytime thereafter without having to pay for it. Congrats to those currently on the Splendor. With your refund you should have a very Merry Christmas. You also have a great story to talk about for the rest of your life. May we can all be that lucky sometime.

I can't confirm this anywhere. Last I heard from many channel, Ensenada is still the destination. Unless they mean after disembarkation.

ABC News here in San Diego just aired that the Splendor was being towed here and would arrive approx noon on Thursday. Traveling at approx 1 mile per hour and was verified by the San Diego Port.

~S

Update on Carnival Splendor

Posted on 08 November 2010

Miami, FL — November 9, 2010 (8:15 pm EST) — At approximately 6 am Monday morning (U.S. Pacific Standard Time), a fire was detected in the aft engine room aboard the cruise ship Carnival Splendor. The fire was extinguished. There were no injuries to guests or crew.

The ship has been operating on auxiliary generators and engineers have been unable to restore additional power to the vessel. Thus far, one tug boat has reached the ship and has begun towing with additional tugs en route to expedite the vessel’s return.

Given the ship’s speed and current position, we have decided to take the vessel to San Diego where it is expected to arrive late Thursday. Additionally, we are in the process of making all the necessary hotel and flight arrangements for our guests. If the ship is unable to maintain sufficient speed under tow, it is possible that we could revert to the previous plan and dock in Ensenada.

Last night, the ship’s engineers were able to restore toilet service to most cabins and all public bathrooms, as well as cold running water. Currently several key hotel systems, including air conditioning, hot food service and telephones, are not available. The ship’s crew continues to actively work to restore other services.

Guests are able to move about the ship and food and beverage service, along with some shipboard programming, including children’s activities and entertainment, are being provided.

The vessel’s command is in contact with the U.S. Coast Guard which has deployed assets to the cruise ship’s location and is assisting in providing additional provisions which became necessary due to the lack of refrigeration on board.

Guests on the current voyage will be receiving a full refund along with reimbursement for transportation costs. Additionally, they will receive a complimentary future cruise equal to the amount paid for this voyage.

Carnival Splendor was on the first leg of a seven-day Mexican Riviera cruise that departed Sunday, Nov. 7, from Long Beach, Calif. The ship’s normal itinerary includes stops in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. The ship, which measures 113,000 gross registered tons and first entered service in July 2008, is carrying 3,299 guests and 1,167 crew.

Carnival has also made the decision to cancel the Nov. 14 seven-day cruise from Long Beach. Guests scheduled to sail on this voyage will receive a full refund of their cruise fare and air transportation costs, along with a 25 percent discount on a future cruise.

“We sincerely apologize to our guests for this unfortunate situation and offer our thanks for their patience and cooperation during this challenging time. The safety and comfort of our guests is our top priority and we are doing everything we can to allow them to return home as quickly as possible. We also apologize for having to cancel the next voyage of the Carnival Splendor. We realize how much guests look forward to their vacations and we know how disheartening it is to have their plans disrupted,” said Gerry Cahill, Carnival’s president and CEO.

Archived