Is Progresso worth the time?

newmomtexas

I'm a first timer, planning to book a 5-day cruise on Esctasy in February. However, someone told me one of the two ports, Progesso is not worthing going. If that's true, I may change my plan to a 4-day cruise.

We are going as a family - husband, wife, a toddler and grandparents. We like sightseeing. We don't drink. If you have been to Progesso, please share (1) what you did; (2) what you liked or disliked; and (3) if it was worth your time.

Thank you!

DH and I went to Progresso last year. We took the bus to the mainland and then took the double decker bus around, just to see things. After the double decker bus ride, we shopped a bit and then headed back to the ship.

I do know there is a beach you can go to very close to where they drop you off at the bus. Have you checked the excursions? I know they had several we were interested in (we usually book the ships excursions) but decided not to spend the money.

I'm a first timer, planning to book a 5-day cruise on Esctasy in February. However, someone told me one of the two ports, Progesso is not worthing going. If that's true, I may change my plan to a 4-day cruise.

We are going as a family - husband, wife, a toddler and grandparents. We like sightseeing. We don't drink. If you have been to Progesso, please share (1) what you did; (2) what you liked or disliked; and (3) if it was worth your time.

Thank you!

progresso is a quaint mexican town. Not a disneyland like Cozumel. We went to Uxmal from there. Best Mayan site we have been to

Newmom: We have never been to progreso but are headed there on the 6th of December. We have decided to take the free shuttle to the end of the pier and then walk over to the beach and hang out there in front of Buddy's. We are a group of 12 and would definitely take any day at the beach. There is several threads of things to do in Progreso if you go to the port of calls section, caribbean and then progreso/merida. I am trying to insert this link but if it doesn't work, sorry:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154

I was there on a cruise, but like 6 years ago. IT was a newer stop then. There was some shopping by the ship, little stands. Bought a few things. The beach right by the VERY LONG pier was really nice. They had chairs and beers and the water was clear and beach was pretty. There was some cute local places to get beer for $1 each. It was as others have said, not an overly developed area, may be more so now, since it has been awhile for me. I did like it though. Nice, relaxing day. Cheap too, since the beach was right there and free and shopping was cheap.

I was pleasantly surprised with Progresso. Took the double decker bus, then walked thru the pretty large flea market right near the bus. Then walked to the beach - it was like 3 blocks from there. There are carts lining the streets. DH got a massage for $20 on the beach, dd and I banana boated - was a ton of fun - took us all the way out into the ocean. Waiters came to the beach for drink orders. Only problem we had was the multitude of vendors that kept walking up to us trying to sell us something. I am looking forward to going back sometime.

I think Progreso is great! Nothing like the 51st US state, Cozumel.

Some people don't like the water because it is Gulf of Mexico water and not the blue Caribbean water (which isn't always blue).

Here are some pictures from some Progreso adventures:

Progreso: Sept 2010, Chichen Itza: Page1 Page2 Page3 Page4

Progreso Feb 09 Uxmal

Progreso Dec 07

Caves and Caverns Tour Sept07

Uxmal/Progreso Sept 2004

I'm glad that I went to Progreso, but if I never go back I won't be upset about it. We did the double decker tour bus, which I really enjoyed and then we walked to the beach. People would not leave us alone...they wanted to tell, massages, t-shirts, jewelry, etc. Just as one would finally leave you alone, another person would be right behind them. We booked a tour through Auto Progreso and went to see the Dzibilchaltun Mayan ruins. I loved that tour! If I do go back to Progreso I'll either just stay on the ship or book another tour. Although Progreso is far from my favorite port, it was nice to see more of the 'real' Mexico than you see at other ports.

We had a lovely day in progresso. first of all we went on the open top bus, then took a tour, booked it from where the bus was. We went to see the flamingos on the salt flats and to some ruins, then listened to the music in the market and spent the rest of the time on the beach. a very cheap port and no hassle for us.

Your handle indicates you're from Texas, so you will probably fly to your destination. In my opinion, 4 day cruises are not the best, although DW and my first cruise was a 4 day. With parents and small children, the going and coming I would consider far too traumatic to enjoy the whole trip, no matter HOW nice the actual cruise was! :(

diclaimer: I hate commercial flying!

Thank you! Did you book the bus on the cruise ship?

The shuttles will drop you off at the double decker bus. No, you don't book the double deck bus thru the ship. Not sure about the cost. For us it was a few dollars a piece, but I hear it went up to like $5 each. Not really sure.

And as others have said, its a nice quaint little town and it was fun to ride around and see the schools and the government buildings, etc.

A word of warning - if its HOT out, sit below. My husband and I sat up there and he had shorts on. In the 30 or so minutes we were on the bus, he got burned!

Progreso is wonderful! I've been there several times and will return, gladly, in February.

If you're looking for Senior Frogs, Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock, etc you probably need to stay on the ship. However, if you're looking for a taste of old Mexico and a great day on the beach Progreso is for you...

Ecstasy193.jpg

Ecstasy197.jpg

Ecstasy211.jpg

Ecstasy213.jpg

:)

Progreso is wonderful! I've been there several times and will return, gladly, in February.

If you're looking for Senior Frogs, Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock, etc you probably need to stay on the ship. However, if you're looking for a taste of old Mexico and a great day on the beach Progreso is for you...

:)

I agree. There is also an all inclusive resort that you can go to. They sell the excursion at the dock. Can't remember the name of the place but it's about a 30 minute ride. You pass some very poor conditions, and then all of a sudden you pass one of Hugh Hefner's houses on the beach! Here are some pics of the resort...

Resortpool-x.jpg

Resortpoolleft-x.jpg

Thank you!

Take the bus into Merida and allow yourself to be absorbed in the culture of Mexico as a nice change from the tourist traps. You'll be glad you did. :). Make sure to stop someplace for an authentic Yucatanean meal.

If you like to sightsee I can highly recommend taking the bus over to Merida.....It has some of the oldest architecture, lots of churches, the governor's palace has HUGE art murals that cover the 2nd floor and tell the history of Merida....there's a really cool plaza that you can wander and lots of shops everywhere....Here's a few of my pics

ry%3D400

Cathedral of the America's

ry%3D400

Governor's mansion and the murals

ry%3D400

Plaza

We've been to Progreso twice. Really enjoyed both times. I think to really enjoy your stay while in Port .... in my opinion.... for a first timer.... I would do a Carnival Excursion..... in my opinion.

Our 1st time to Progreso DW & I did the Meridia City tour. We got a chance to see RAW Mexico and the city was awesome to see. Our bus stopped at the Square near a very old Mission dating back to 1400 something. We then did some shopping. DW & I had a GREAT time. There is some walking but... very easy excursion :D

Our 2nd Time to Progreso DW & I went to the Mayan City of Uxmal. WOW.... was that awesome ! ! ! The bus ride there was over an hour to get there and the same back. During the Bus ride our guide told us about Uxmal and the about Mexico's history there in the Yucatan area..... very informative. But the Uxmal experience was AWESOME.... there are no other words to describe it. There is some walking.... but....not bad. I really enjoyed that excursion. :D

We sailed on the Carnival Elation & the Ecstasy..... Both are wonderful ships.

I hope this helped....your going to enjoy the Ecstasy ........ enjoy your cruise :)

We visited Progreso this summer and it was fine. Not a glitzy , tourist type town. We did the double decker bus tour and had it all to ourselves. We walked around the town, shopped, hung out on the beach then did a tour through AutoProgreso to the Dzib ruins. All in all a pleasant day.

I have been to Progreso 4 times and going for a 5th time in a couple of weeks. Our favorite excursions were the short bus ride to Merida and visiting the oldest cathedral on the North American continent and the government buildings (see pictures above). Also, more shopping. Merida is a beautiful city and very close to Progreso.

We loved the Mayan ruins at Uxmal. It was probably one of our favorite excursions to see Mayan Ruins including Tulum, Altum Ha, and Dzibilchaltun. We visited Dzibilchaltun and had lunch and saw an interesting horse show and were entertained by flamenco dancers.

Another time, we rode the free bus into Progreso and shopped at the market place. We are planning on shopping in the market place on our Thanksgiving cruise. There is really a lot to do in Progreso and we have enjoyed ourselves every time we have gone.

A 4-day cruise is simply not long enough. A 5-day cruise is much better. (A 7-day is best - LOL). I say stick with your 5-day and Progreso.

I just booked the 5 day on the Ecstasy for next Sept. so I've started researching Progreso too as I've never been.

Thanks to all those answer the OP's questions, I've learned some. :) Also, thanks for sharing pictures. My mom & I have been thinking between these excursions, anyone done them specifically & any suggestions to help us decide?

Discover the Yucatan and the Mayan World

Dzibilchaltun Mayan Ruins

Merida City Highlights & Shopping

Archived