Eastern or Western Caribbean. Help?

lillypad83

I <3 Cozumel. It's my favorite place on the planet. So every time we cruise, guess where we go? Yep, the western Caribbean.

This will be our second Princess cruise. For our anniversary two years ago, we opted for the Western Caribbean on the Ruby Princess. It was fantastic, but Ocho Rios was sketchy, and we stayed on the boat for Princess Cay. (Umm, well.. it was our anniversary. I didn't know we were expected leave our stateroom.)

We're trying to choose between the Eastern Caribbean on the Ruby Princess 04/17/11, or the Western Caribbean on the Crown Princess 04/16/2011. We've not been to any of the ports on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. I'm favoring the Western Caribbean because we've never been to Princess Cay or Roatan. But I'm frightened, because the reviews of the Crown Princess haven't been quite as glowing as the reviews on the Ruby.

I think I need a grown up?

What is it that you like about Cozumel? I like Cozumel too, but I love the Eastern Caribbean, it is so much prettier in my opinion. I was just thinking that if we know what you enjoy about Cozumel we would know more what you are looking for in your cruise experience.

Cozumel is one of our favorite stops too! we fly from california to board a ship in flordia to go west, lol. That being said our last to trips have been eastern. Grand turk is really nice, the beaches in St martin are something. I dont think you will be disappointed with the trip. IMHO

good luck

I <3 Cozumel. It's my favorite place on the planet. So every time we cruise, guess where we go? Yep, the western Caribbean.

This will be our second Princess cruise. For our anniversary two years ago, we opted for the Western Caribbean on the Ruby Princess. It was fantastic, but Ocho Rios was sketchy, and we stayed on the boat for Princess Cay. (Umm, well.. it was our anniversary. I didn't know we were expected leave our stateroom.)

We're trying to choose between the Eastern Caribbean on the Ruby Princess 04/17/11, or the Western Caribbean on the Crown Princess 04/16/2011. We've not been to any of the ports on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. I'm favoring the Western Caribbean because we've never been to Princess Cay or Roatan. But I'm frightened, because the reviews of the Crown Princess haven't been quite as glowing as the reviews on the Ruby.

I think I need a grown up?

I just went to Roatan a few weeks ago on a cruise. I've been to many places in the Caribbean and this has got to be one of my favorite places. I'd pick any itin. that included Roatan.

We loved our Crown Princess cruise this past spring. It was doing the western Caribbean itinerary--but the ship was the best part. In general, we like doing the eastern itinerary more--and have done it a lot more. St. Thomas and St. Martin are both great islands for a relaxing day at the beach. Or touring and shopping, if you like.

What is it that you like about Cozumel? I like Cozumel too, but I love the Eastern Caribbean, it is so much prettier in my opinion. I was just thinking that if we know what you enjoy about Cozumel we would know more what you are looking for in your cruise experience.

This is my question, too. If you like Cozumel for the beach/snorkeling, you will LOVE St. Thomas/St. John.

Of the two itineraries, I would choose the Eastern.

Thanks for the input. I love these boards, because I get feedback from people that have actually been to these places. :)

@lorekauf- Did you stay at Mahogany Bay, or did you head to the west end?

@amistad- I'm a relaxing day at the beach girl. In Cozumel, we always go to Nachi. The beach is beautiful, the service is amazing, and it's never crowded.

I prefer to wander off on my own rather than take a ship excursion, because I really don't enjoy crowds. Grand Turk seems like it's a great fit for us because most cruise passengers tend to stay in the Margaritaville area, and Jack's Shack looks really cool. But I'm concerned about St. Maarten and St. Thomas. It seems there are certain beaches that everyone flocks to, and the ones that are a little less crowded don't have many amenities.

I've been reading the St. Thomas/ St. Maarten boards, and I'm overwhelmed by all the info. Can anyone recommend beaches on St. Thomas and St. Maarten that aren't crowded, but are safe, have restrooms, chairs, and a bar?

Thanks so much!

I've been reading the St. Thomas/ St. Maarten boards, and I'm overwhelmed by all the info. Can anyone recommend beaches on St. Thomas and St. Maarten that aren't crowded, but are safe, have restrooms, chairs, and a bar?

Thanks so much!

There is a thread about the Ruby Princess on this board. The lady talks about Water Island on St. Thomas. It doesn't have a lot of amenities, but might be what you might like.

We just went on the Ruby Eastern Caribbean the last week of October. We have been to Western 1x and Eastern twice now.

Princess Cays - Great beach day and bbq lunch. No matter which itinerary you choose, you definitely need to get off the ship and give it a try if you like lazy beach days. The water is rocky, so bring water shoes.

St. Thomas -Magen's Bay is very picturesque. We were the only ship in port that day, so the beach wasn't very crowded. There is a bar/restaurant, restrooms, and you can rent chairs and mats. I have heard Sapphire Beach is recommended if you want to snorkel. Coki Beach seems to be popular too. Emerald Beach is pretty close to where the ship docks. St. John is supposed to be beautiful too, but seems like a lot of work and money spent to take taxis and the ferry to spend a couple hours on the beach.

St. Maarten - We have been to Maho Beach twice to see the airplanes land. A lot of people go to Orient Beach. There is a beach downtown near the main shopping area as well.

Grand Turk - We went snorkeling with Blue Water Divers. We got to see lots of colorful fish. Lots of people spent the day at the Margaritaville pool/beach area.

Even though I prefer Royal Caribbean over Princess, I would probably go back on Princess again to go back to Grand Turk.

Good luck with your decision!

Beth

I would aviod the Crown, we sailed on her last week and it wasn't anywhere near as nice as our previous cruise on Emerald. The Dining was a total shambles, food okish but only served tepid and very rushed. Most evenings our dinner was over in 45 mins! The Da Vinci Maitre D was so rude it was beyond belief. Our traditional dining was messed up, we were suite guests and no attempt to please us was made at all. (I will when I get a chance post a full review). Our Suite wasn't very clean, the cabinet doors were all full of sticky finger marks, there was paint all over the balcony and the furniture, the glass patio doors were filthy and the balcony glass hadn't been washed down in weeks. I even overheard a crew member telling a collegue that the Crown was the worst ship!

The posts of call were really nice though, all great for snorkelling, beaches and shopping.

As I haven't been on Ruby I can't comment, but she always seems to get good reviews on CC.

Hope this helps x

I would aviod the Crown, we sailed on her last week and it wasn't anywhere near as nice as our previous cruise on Emerald. I even overheard a crew member telling a collegue that the Crown was the worst ship!

Hope this helps x

:(:( Wah, as I sail on the Crown on Saturday... guess I am going to have to make some "lemonade with this lemon..."

Anyway, we are going Western only because our last 3 cruises have been Eastern and while I LOVE the Eastern stops, sometimes you have to switch it up.

Last time we were in Coz we didn't even get off the ship so we do not have that attraction to it, but to each his own.

• 2 weeks later...

Go East...you have never done so until you do you wont be able to compare and figure out your fav. Im east all the way, I personally think the beaches are much better. Ive done traditional east and west and now the mix of some of the ports for each and I still favor east. I guess some of it depends on what you like to do. Regardlesss you will have a great cruise as Ive never been on one that I can say I really didnt like

I would aviod the Crown, we sailed on her last week and it wasn't anywhere near as nice as our previous cruise on Emerald. The Dining was a total shambles, food okish but only served tepid and very rushed. Most evenings our dinner was over in 45 mins! The Da Vinci Maitre D was so rude it was beyond belief. Our traditional dining was messed up, we were suite guests and no attempt to please us was made at all. (I will when I get a chance post a full review). Our Suite wasn't very clean, the cabinet doors were all full of sticky finger marks, there was paint all over the balcony and the furniture, the glass patio doors were filthy and the balcony glass hadn't been washed down in weeks. I even overheard a crew member telling a collegue that the Crown was the worst ship!

The posts of call were really nice though, all great for snorkelling, beaches and shopping.

As I haven't been on Ruby I can't comment, but she always seems to get good reviews on CC.

Hope this helps x

Yeah, sounds like our cruise in mid October on the Crown. Yet we took the Crown before and it was beautiful. I think it is the current crew on there. Thanks for the post.

Archived