Outlet Malls in Florence

I really can't hold back this time: An outlet mall? Are you serious?

There you are, surrounded by all the glories of the highest peak of Western European civilisation, art and culture - and you want to go to an outlet mall?

:eek:

Come on, give the girl a break. There are far more important things in life than seeing that ratty, old David, walking along the Ponte Vecchio or gazing in awe at the view of Florence from the Piazzalle Michelangelo. There's shopping to be done.

Does anyone know of any outlet malls in Florence? Are there any good deals?

There is an outlet mall about 40 minutes from Florence. I have not been there,but if no one has the info now you can get it when you get to Florence.There is a bus that runs to it from the city center. I am sorry I don't have the info anymore,but I must tell you that the Euro vs the dollar will take out any savings you may find,and that you can get some of the same items here in the States for a lot less.Florence has some nice shopping all by itself.Sorry I can't help more.

ACTUALLY, I have heard that there are outlet malls in Florence. People from Rome drive to Florence in order to shop. However, that said, the outlet stores are REALLY BIG designer names and still prices are way more than I intend to pay.

Come on, everyone. Give a girl a break. To each his own on vacation!

Margie

Allison,

I have not been but I think this is what you're asking about:

http://www.outlet-firenze.com/the_mall.htm

...supposedly, some great deals on Gucci, Prada etc. But like a previous poster wrote -- the dollar is so much weaker that it might not be that great of a bargain.

I wish we had more time as I really wanted to do some shopping here.

Panel of Judges,

I don't recall the Allison1 saying that she was ONLY going to shop in Florence........ that she was going to ignore the beauty of the city, never set foot in a museum, never view the David or any other works of art, walk right past the galleries, ignore the ancient sites and make it a point not to soak up any of the Florentine beauty.

All she asked for was some shopping advice and if she can't come here and ask a simple question without getting judged, it's a pretty sad board.

Allison1,

Besides the mall, there's a Frette outlet store about 20 minutes outside of Florence if you're into fine sheets. The only problem is that sheets are very heavy and will add a lot of weight to your luggage. I'm not sure where it is, but a hotel concierge will know or you might be able to do it on a web search.

Other's have warned you about the unfavorable rate exchange, however, if you're going in July when the sales are on, you might find some incredible deals.

There are open (flea ) markets that you can walk through near all the major sites . Good prices on leather and knock offs . Be careful and alert at all times for pick pockets . I saw it throughout Europe last year . Do not let your guard down .

I don't recall the Allison1 saying that she was ONLY going to shop in Florence........ that she was going to ignore the beauty of the city, never set foot in a museum, never view the David or any other works of art, walk right past the galleries, ignore the ancient sites and make it a point not to soak up any of the Florentine beauty.

All she asked for was some shopping advice and if she can't come here and ask a simple question without getting judged, it's a pretty sad board.

I've assumed that she's going to Florence on a cruise ship. Cruise ships don't dock in Florence. Ergo, there will be travel time to and from the city during the few docking hours that day.

I suppose it is theoretically possible that during the little bit of time that is left, one could see all the museums, all the churches, take one's fill of the river and the bridges and admire that most famous view of the city from the other side of the river - and still have time to go to an outlet mall.

But in these circumstances, I would humbly offer Allison1 my very personal outlet mall shopping advice for Florence: Please don't.

It doesn't matter what travel discussion group you belong to, there is always an element of what I call "travel snobbery" for lack of a better term. First, there's the name-calling: I'm a "traveler." You're a "tourist." Second, there's the direct attack on another's plans: "Real travelers don't do that." I'm from the US, so using Americans as the travelers, here are examples of some of the most prevalent "attitudes" we've all observed.

If you're talking with a bunch of world travelers, some think those who only go to Canada, Mexico, the Carib and the UK/Western Europe aren't "real travelers" because they haven't stretched their wings and gone beyond "the comfort zone." A trek through a remote jungle in SE Asia :eek: will get you into the Real Travelers Club, though!

If you're talking with folks about a specific region, e.g., Europe, some think those who only go to the big cities, e.g., London, Paris & Rome, aren't real travelers.

Some think you're not a real traveler if you stay in 4-star hotels and fly instead of going the hostel or 2-star lodging route and training it. Oh, yeah, don't forget your backpacks! :rolleyes:

Some think you're not a real traveler unless you pick a place and stay put a while. "Slow travel" is a great concept, and I've even done it to a degree. But many forget, it's not a travel style that allows you to see much of the world, if that is your interest, or that is well-suited for everyone, including most working Americans with limited vacation days per year.

Some think investing precious vacation days and money in trips to Vegas, Walt Disney World and other fun places don't count as real travel. But, of course, if the men go golfing at St. Andrews and run out of time to step foot in a museum or church, well, gosh, if I play a round at St. Andrews, I'm living history, right?!

Some think you're not a real traveler if you take any sort of packaged travel or tour. That means all of us cruise junkies are NOT real travelers. :mad:

And speaking of cruises and tours, in cruise groups, you know the two types of "snobs" when it comes to port day explorations--the ones who think you are nuts to take anything but the cruise line's excursions and the others who think independent port touring is the only way to go. Which one are you?!

The list goes on and on.... True confessions, sometimes I find myself sniffing at other people's plans when they refuse to see that the way we did it was better, LOL!

I'm sure if the OP came back and offered a more "noble" justification for her interest, some would sigh with relief over her plans, e.g., I've been to Florence and environs a million times; I'm a fashion design or marketing major working on my graduate thesis; I am a best selling-author on bargain shopping around the world; etc.

But does it really take that for us, as fellow travelers, to simply answer her question *if we have an answer,* keep our opinions on her travel plans to ourselves, and wish her a good time??! :)

The fact of the matter is, more people than ever are traveling, which is a wonderful thing IMO. Travel is an eye-opening, educational activity that broadens the way we think about other people and opens our hearts to other ideas and cultures. In America, certainly, international travel is a concept that is relatively new to mainstream society--it is more accessible and affordable than ever. I don't think it matters what you do once you get to a new and different place. The fact that you are there is enough.

****Let's all join together and look down on those friends and acquaintances of ours who just don't travel!!! How small their worlds are, and how small their minds are.****

Have fun on your trip, Allison!

I have tried to avoid slamming anyone who posts with a question on these boards and just answer them so that being said here is a link or two if I can do this right about some info re the outlets near Florence..one is general info the other is from someone who will do a private tour.Hope this helps..

gucci outlet florence private tours of italy gucci outlet the mall

LV 06 Outlet Mall Florence

If you need some more info just post here

hi, We went to this outlet mall last July. We didn't buy anything but there was a Tods purse I was debating on and I kick myself now that I left without buying it. It was 125 euro and sells at home for $1,000! Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to go back. The links others have given you are the ones where I got my info from. We drove from Florence following the directions the website gave us, we thought that we would get to the general area and then ask for directions once we got closer, but we recognized it from the road. Keep your eyes open, it looks exactely like the pictures in the website. There were a variety of stores some very expensive and some affordable. It is a small mall, we went into all the stores in about 1 1/2 hours maybe less. We saw 'Hyde' from 'The 70's Show' and his brother in real life, the oldest son in 'Malcolm in the Middle'. The kids were in awe but were too embarrassed to approach them for a picture. They had their hands full of bags.

>>>>>>>>>I'm sure if the OP came back and offered a more "noble" justification for her interest, some would sigh with relief over her plans, e.g., I've been to Florence and environs a million times; I'm a fashion design or marketing major working on my graduate thesis; I am a best selling-author on bargain shopping around the world; etc.

But does it really take that for us, as fellow travelers, to simply answer her question *if we have an answer,* keep our opinions on her travel plans to ourselves, and wish her a good time??! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Artemis,

EXACTLY my point! Thanks for expanding it even further.

Jane

Artemis,

Great reply. We all like to travel in different ways and what some like to see and do, others would find very boring. Each to their own and one of life's enjoyments is to be able to travel, enjoy the experience and learn a little of the culture of the country you spend time in.

Jennie

hi KimmyinLA,

Yes, we rented a car and you're right, I thought the taxi was expensive too. We started our trip in Rome, spent a few days there, rented a car and took 1 week to drive to Venice where we picked up the cruise. We went to the mall during our 2day stay in Florence before the cruise. Initially we were thinking about taking the taxi because we thought we'd get lost but when we saw the cost, we decided to do it ourselves. I see you're going on the Millennium, we did too. The ship is amazing and so is the itinerary! You're going to love it. I've posted some of our pictures on this website, look for the albums 'Italy & Cruise' and 'Our Cruise on the Millennium'. here is the website http://community.webshots.com/user/mandcadventures

Thanks for your info Marika!

Your pictures look great! (Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread) Would you mind emailing me so I don't take over the OP's thread? I have some questions about your Millie trip. My email is junkgalore@comcast.net

Kimberly

Btw, did anyone notice that this was the OP's 2nd post on these boards? I hope she will come back to enjoy the rest of the community and information this site has to offer. I hope she was not bullied into thinking she did not belong here.

We did the outlet malls--it was my gift from my husband for going to every Etruscan site in Tuscany. I loved them! There are a few outside Florence. There is a Prada outlet which I thought was very pricey except very young Italians were coming out with bags full. And that was over three years ago when the Euro was not doing as well against the dollar as it is now. There also were some but I cannot remember the town with Fendi, Dolce & Gabbana, Versace--beautiful new mall. Problem is that you will not see much discounts but it is cheaper than you would pay retail. Some were mentioned in the book, Born to Shop which I found was a great resource.

Artemis! Thank you!

Allison - these boards are to answer and discuss everyone's questions! Don't let somebody (I refrain from name calling relunctantly) run you off! Have a great vacation and do what you want to do! That's why it's vacation!

We went to outlets near Milan last year...also from Born to Shop, and were dissappointed. The things we saw there were a few collections old and were ill fititing. I have heard that the outlets mear Florenece are great! My daughter's friend lived in Italy for 6 months. Go, if you have time and enjoy everything you do! I love to shop and I love a bargain! I wish you happy sightseeing, shopping and bargain hunting! I don't know when you are planning your trip, but in July as stated abovre the stores have wonderful sales. I bought a great Gucci purse for a song last year! Happy Hunting!

• 2 years later...

Archived