Outlet Malls in Florence

hey to each his own...

in fact before we do the med in oct, I will be asking what should I buy type of questions as well...it enriches my holiday and gives me something tangible to treasure as well as the memories....

If you are talking about what should you buy on a Med cruise...there is a HUGE thread on this re each ports,local stuff etc. if you have the time to do a search or unless someone has it marked already.

I really can't hold back this time: An outlet mall? Are you serious?

There you are, surrounded by all the glories of the highest peak of Western European civilisation, art and culture - and you want to go to an outlet mall?

:eek:

My thoughts exactly!

We have been to the outlet mall near Florence and loved it. When we docked in Lovorno (we had been to FLorence before) we used Sunflower Tours. He picked us up, took us around Tuscany for the morning, stopped in several little villages, got some great local artwork and had lunch in a fabulous little restaurant that seemed to be in the middle of nowhere. Then we spent the afternoon at the outlet mall. Our driver was great - every couple of stores he would appear and take our packages so we weren't burdened with them. Then we stopped by the Dolce and Gabana outlet which is in a different location and then headed back to the ship. My daughter and I had a wonderful day! The reason for the cruise was I had become OleMissGraduateMom!!

OleMissMom

Guidebook writer's tip: Another precious volume, chock full of thousands of addresses, directions how to get to many, many outlets, malls, factory stores and places that still are bargains.

Its not just big fashion names, but includes some of the more luxury design shops (Mastro Raphael sheets & household linens near Spoleto comes to mind) . January and end July prices are also lower for the Saldi. You should see the lines in front of Davide Cenci in downtown Rome.

You can order the book -English, Italian and German editions available -directly from the publisher at www.scoprioccasioni.it

Five of us rented a van with Tuscany by Taxi, he took us into Florence for culture in the morning. We all ran off on various sightseeing exhibitions and then met up later. Then we trundled off to "The Mall". I did see some shoes I liked but nothing in my size. Beautiful designer stuff (Fendi, Armani, lots of others). THere was a pleasant cafe where we all sat and relaxed and enjoyed a nice glass of beer. Two of us had dreadful colds so the shopping actually helped us. It was a pleasant and laid back afternoon. I had promised a friend I would purchase something for her - I did - a lovely silk scarf! All I could afford. But the mall was in the middle of Tuscany and the drive there and on to the port was magnificent. It was a lovely day of combined culture and relaxed shopping. :o Much nicer then rushing around with a large group.

I was in Florence in 2000 with family, including three adult daughters. My husband drove us to the Gucci outlet. It was all by itself, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. I don't know if this was before the malls were built or not but I had not heard of them. We got some good deals. I am still wearing the driving loafers I paid $75 for and got a beautiful suede Gucci pocketbook for around $100. The zipper broke on that after a few years but it still looks brand new. One daughter bought a black leather briefcase with bamboo handle for about 80% off retail. It is gorgeous. We are going on a Med cruise in June and I mentioned the malls to my husband but looks like we are doing a wine tour of Chianti instead. Hard to complain about that.

I was in Florence in 2000 with family, including three adult daughters. My husband drove us to the Gucci outlet. It was all by itself, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. I don't know if this was before the malls were built or not but I had not heard of them. We got some good deals. I am still wearing the driving loafers I paid $75 for and got a beautiful suede Gucci pocketbook for around $100. The zipper broke on that after a few years but it still looks brand new. One daughter bought a black leather briefcase with bamboo handle for about 80% off retail. It is gorgeous. We are going on a Med cruise in June and I mentioned the malls to my husband but looks like we are doing a wine tour of Chianti instead. Hard to complain about that.

The Gucci outlet is now in "The Mall". Gucci had great prices. Hubby bought me a Carry on Bag that I've never seen in north America. It was 300 Euro, would have been probably $1,500 in the US. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a bag at Prada. That was our first stop. Most bags were in the 350 - 450 Euro range and go for around $2,000 at home.

The other thing I really liked about Gucci was the stuff on sale they still had the price tags on from the retail stores. They had beautiful bags for a couple of 100 euros that were going for 1000s and the prices were not inflated to show a sale.

Tods had an outlet in The Mall as well but the prices are much better in the US if you can find a Tod's outlet such as Primm outside of Vegas. You have to know your prices.

Florence has great shopping and yes, is definitely known for it's leather. Depends on what you're shopping for. I found some of the best prices outside of Florence in say Lucca or San Gim. But if you want Gucci, Prada, YSL, etc. then I suggest the outlets. Ponte Vecchio is known for it's gold....its very expensive gold. And keep in mind the Outlets are not like North American outlets, Hubby didn't buy a thing. This isn't where you will find the $20 shirts.

A day of outlet shopping in Florence is my idea of a great day, but my husband has other ideas.

We were in the area for a week which was good. But I did still keep my promise, we were done Prada and Gucci by noon and then headed to Montalcino for wineries :) A good day had by all!

Did you find any great buys and is it worth going to?

Hubby bought me a beautiful carry on bag from Gucci. Is it worth going???? loaded question...if you're there for a few days and can swing by for an hour..yes. Personally, I wouldn't miss a day in either Florence or Tuscany to go there. Yes, they do have good deals. My carry on was 300 Euro, would have probably been $1,500 in the US. Prada bags topped out at around 500 Euro, easily $2,000 here. But, it's your vacation all it all depends on what your priorities are. We're disembarking our cruise in Rome and heading to France, I tried like the dickens to persuade hubby that driving with a pit stop was the way to go..damn it we booked flights :)

Archived