TSA Pat Downs???

Upandadam

This is NOT related to the cruise terminals IN ANY WAY.

It's only been implemented at airports...

Please, let's not start any wild rumors...

:)

lol

Thanks. Someone made a comment that they wouldn't be cruising anytime soon due to the pat-downs being an invasion of privacy. Guess what they meant was that they wouldn't be "flying" anytime soon.

lol

Thanks. Someone made a comment that they wouldn't be cruising anytime soon due to the pat-downs being an invasion of privacy. Guess what they meant was that they wouldn't be "flying" anytime soon.

Perhaps they always have to fly to their cruise???

I understand the security thing very well and will not complain and when flying will put myself thru this.

However I do find it uncomfortable and annoying and that is just one of the reasons we only take cruises where we can drive to the port.

I read something on another thread about TSA pat downs on cruises. Can anyone elaborate what this is and how it works?

Sounds kind of extreme.

As noted above, TSA doesn't do cruises just airlines. There was a news article yesterday where an air passenger was selected for full scan, refused the scan, then refused the alternative "Pat Down", then ducked out of the airport without any search, which is apparently a no-no. ken

We flew down to the port of FLL last Jan - right after the underwear bomber. At the Montreal airport, everyone was were given a full body pat down. Me, DBF, our 3 kids - everyone ! I have to say, it's not that bad !! They have the women security staff pat down the female travellers and the men pat down the guys. It is not a grope and I never felt like they were 'feeling me up'. They mostly use the knuckle and fist and side of a fist.

I kept joking afterward that I was gonna go back and have my back done again "just a little higher, oh yeah, right there... you sure I don't have anything there... keep checking..." :p

Someones "invasion of privacy" is another person's "free full body massage" ;)

But - I echo Mach - cruiseline security does not do this (nor do airports anymore, it was temporary after the bomb threat)

And in some places in Europe this pat down has gone on for many many years- I remember going through this some 30 years ago. There was a small curtained off "room" and it was done professionally and quickly. Not fun but not that bad either.

lol

I was the unlucky random person patted down at Orlando airport on our return flight home in April.

In front of everyone...I had to lean against the side, they patted down the bottom of my feet...even made me pull my bar out to make sure I wasn't hiding anything under my underwire :eek: It was soooo embarrasing. My husband and son thought it was soooooooo FUNNY! But hey...if its done to protect us..its worth the few moments of embarrasment. The woman patting me down apologized because she prob could obviously see how unimpresses I was...lol

I was the unlucky random person patted down at Orlando airport on our return flight home in April.

In front of everyone...I had to lean against the side, they patted down the bottom of my feet...even made me pull my bar out to make sure I wasn't hiding anything under my underwire :eek: It was soooo embarrasing. My husband and son thought it was soooooooo FUNNY! But hey...if its done to protect us..its worth the few moments of embarrasment. The woman patting me down apologized because she prob could obviously see how unimpresses I was...lol

They should at least provide little curtained off areas- that would provide some privacy and would not be costly or difficult. I would not be happy to be searched publicly, for sure.

Just as with your doctor, these people handle so many people, the last thing they're

thinking about is anything personal about you. I've done the full body scanner, and it

was so quick, it beat the heck out of standing in the little glass room waiting for someone

to come check you. I can see pilots worrying about the radiation since they go through

it every day, but I found it an improvement. The body checks are a minor irritation,

getting my shoes back on is the worst part.

I doubt cruise terminals will ever graduate to that, there are too many other ways

terrorists could cause problems.

When I flew out of South Bend, IN, I was in such a hurry to get there I stuck my cell phone in my Bra. You guessed..BEEEEP. So I got the pat down. Like the previous poster said, I was given a choice to go behind a curtain, I declined. So, I fished the cell phone out, and was patted down. Very discreetly.

Melanie

Most of these security screenings do nothing. They are there to make the public feel better. And yes I know this for a fact! I will not fuss when they do it. As It is not worth it. Also my husband gets the full body check anytime he flies in the US. With his prosthetic leg they always check him. But I will say when we fly out of other country's, they have different safeguards in play so they do not put him the the 15 min of pat downs, wands, bomb testing. If we want security on our airline we need to do what other country's do. Know who is on every flight and do a backround check. Other country's do this and will refuse entry or even not let people get on flights and they have no issues

Most of these security screenings do nothing. They are there to make the public feel better. And yes I know this for a fact! I will not fuss when they do it. As It is not worth it. Also my husband gets the full body check anytime he flies in the US. With his prosthetic leg they always check him. But I will say when we fly out of other country's, they have different safeguards in play so they do not put him the the 15 min of pat downs, wands, bomb testing. If we want security on our airline we need to do what other country's do. Know who is on every flight and do a backround check. Other country's do this and will refuse entry or even not let people get on flights and they have no issues

Sincere question: So what do these other countries that you speak of do differently? I've had to go through metal detectors at every airport I've traveled from-I've never refused, so I don't really know what they would do at that point.

Archived