Serenade tips for us first timers?

nevarez

Hello! I will be sailing the Serenade of the Seas on December 5th. It'll be our (DH and friends) first time with Royal Caribbean. Are there events or places that are specific to this ship or RC that we should be aware of or shouldn't miss? Thanks for your help!

I have never sailed on the Serenade, but have sailed on her sister ship, Jewel. They are a beautiful class . Just walk around and check out everything. The outside elevators mid ship that look out over the ocean, The Quest game is alot of fun, All the dark wood and brass are really pretty. The seaview cafe on deck 12 behind the kids pool is a great place for lunch or a late snack.

We are doing a B2B next fall on her.

Enjoy your cruise.

Judi :)

Hello! I will be sailing the Serenade of the Seas on December 5th. It'll be our (DH and friends) first time with Royal Caribbean. Are there events or places that are specific to this ship or RC that we should be aware of or shouldn't miss? Thanks for your help!

Make sure to try one of the two specialty restaurants, they are worth the extra $$$. The food is marvelous and the service is spectacular. :D:D

BILL

We love the Radiance Class ship, because of the view of the ocean they offer and openess. As said, the view from the outside elevators in the Centrum give you a spectacular view. I found photos of the Serenade which you might enjoylooking thru.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/559059789yMysnc?start=12. click on the photos for a larger view.

I love the Radiance Class ships and have been on Serenade several times.

Some of my favorite things about the ship...

-The glass... making looking out to sea very easy from just about every major public area on the ship....the glass elevators overlooking the water are great.

-The open-air seating in the aft of Windjammer. It's my favorite place to eat breakfast and lunch. It is particularly nice on sea days when you are able to look over the water and watch the wake disappear in the far-off distance. This area can be a great spot to chill out late at night and enjoy the sound of the water churning as you sail towards the next port. Most people don't realize that even when the Windjammer is closed you can still access this area, you just need to walk towards the aft on Deck 12, past the Seaview Cafe, and then down the stairs.

-The Seaview Cafe is a great place to grab a late night snack.

-The steam room and sauna in the locker rooms are no extra fee and are a great place to relax after a workout in the fitness center. Hey, you don't even need to work out...just go have yourself a nice steam or sauna if you feel like it.

-The Thermal Suite is an extra fee facility but there are heated tile lounges you can use while looking out the huge amount of windows at the beautiful views.

-If you are a movie theater fan, Serenade has a small movie theater on deck 6 that you can go watch movies at certain scheduled times.

-Speaking of Deck 6, another great spot to be while coming into port of leaving port is the Helicopter pad at the very front of the ship. Although it is on Deck 6 you get to it by going out on to the promenade on deck 5 and walking all the way froward until you reach a staircase. If you go up those stairs you'll be up on the observation deck/helicopter pad.

-The solarium is a nice place to relax and go for a swim or use the hot tub. This is an adults only area and the minimum age to use it is 16.

-I don't know if you enjoy sitting out in the sun or if you prefer to find a shady spot to sit out on deck but the outside promenade on deck 5 (the same deck you would use to get to the helicopter pad/observation deck) is a great place to sit and read but still be in the shade. I prefer sitting in the shade so having a covered deck like this is really nice and it is also a great place to sit outside if it's raining because it is covered.

I bet you can't tell Serenade is my favorite ship...LOL...my first cruise was on Serenade so she holds a special place in my heart. I hope you enjoy sailing on Serenade as much as I have. :)

just got off a b2b on the serenade- i loved the solarium- esp. on port days- so peaceful and quiet- a great place to read or take a nap

the staff is awesome- really go out of their way to make your cruise special.

we enjoyed the schooner lounge- played a lot of trivia games

See if you can find the blue cows!!!!

Just what I was about to say!!:D

In addition to some of the things listed above:

At night, the bar in the nightclub (The Vortex) rotates.

Something unique to Serenade and her sisters are the self-leveling pool tables on deck 6 (between the Schooner Bar and the Safari Club)

Each day, you will be provided with a "Cruise Compass," that describes the next days events. Look for an activity called "Mixology Class." The bartenders will provide cocktail recipes, and provide the necessary ingredients. There was a fee for this, I think it was $9 a person. But it was an absolute blast.

Ditto to all above. Great ship. We loved the Schooner bar for trivia, pre-dinner drink, late night piano. Seaview Cafe is awesome. Check it out early in the week before it gets too busy. I am not a sun god so I do like the Solarium. Nice bird sounds! Get a drink (or 2) and head to the movie theater. Some don't cruise to go to the movies but I enjoy it on a sea day. Go to the MDR at least once for lunch. Nice menu and great chopped salad bar. Same for breakfast. Go to the MDR at least once. If you like Eggs Benedict, it is not on the menu but they will make it for you if you ask the waiter! Enjoy your cruise!

We love the Serenade and can't wait to sail on her again. If you like to cook, Portofino offers a pasta making demonstration with the head chef, with a 3-course lunch afterward. They normally hold it on the sea day. Registration is just $10.

If you head to Portofino your first day on the ship, they have flyers advertising the demonstration. It was packed the day we went, so be sure to register as soon as you can the first day if you would like to participate. It's a nice way to spend an hour or two during the day at sea. You can check out my blog or my review on CC if you want more info about the demonstration. Happy sailing!

A favorite spot for us (on sister ship Brilliance) was the aft facing windows in the Congo Bar area of the Safari Club area. Especially after the bar itself had closed and it was quiet and really especially if there was a bright moon. This spot is directly over the engine pods and the wake trailing behind the ship is amazing in the moon light. Also, if the ship is making way with any sort of serious speed there is a waterfall effect from the churning right below the window. Mesmerizing.

Partly out of necessity, due to DW's wheelchair, we found the view in the theater from the upper level on deck 6 was very good and after the show much less of the exiting crowd to contend with. There's a service bar up there that provided much faster drink service too.

If you like stargazing the previously mentioned helicopter pad is a very good place. They keep it really dark there for the sake of the bridge crew above. Great for spotting sattelites or if there is a meteor shower happening.

The public restrooms tucked in the alcove of the Art Gallery near the Windjammer Cafe are larger than most in public areas but less used most of the time (except right at lunch time).

Mini Golf is fun, especially if the ship has a little roll going. Web site (and brochure?) description says bring own club but there were plenty available. Then again we played in the rain in cold North Atlantic so had the whole place to ourself.

Deck 12, near the Sky Bar and above the outdoor pool, was a nice place for sailaway. With late departures from San Juan the starboard side could have nice view of El Moro and the city. Sort of looking forward to that.

We love the Jewel (Serenade sister). All of the suggestions that have already been mentioned are why we love the Radiance class. They are definitely beautiful with all the glass and woodwork! The Murder Mystery Dinner in Portofino is fun! We like the balcony rooms on deck 10 at the front of the ship where you can see the captain and officers on the side of the bridge when coming in and leaving port. The helipad is a great place for sailaway as well.

Enjoy!

Beth

First I suggest you look at the 5 part video that our fellow CC friend Bill from Wisconsin compiled from his Serenade 2010 B2B;

Here's the first part:

The rest will be on the side of the YouTube screen.

( Bill - Am I finally going to get my commisision, I was awake this time )

DW and I watched his 2009 video and he inspired us to do the same trip in 2010.

I would suggest you find your CC roll call for your cruise and get plugged in to the pre-cruise discussion.

Don't listen to to the embarkation time listed on your documents. People start lining up to board at 11 o'clock to make the most of their first day.

Lots of people like to pack a bathing suit in their carry on so they can enjoy the pool area right away.

When you first get on you can set up all your appointments in the spa and the salons for the week. At least that's what DW told me. Also

head up to the Windjammer for some lunch until the cabins are ready if you like

DW and I got off the ship to do something every day. Each island is different and has something to offer. If you are able to I highly recommend this. You can rest when you get back home!

We liked returning to the ship from our excursions/beach days and heading to the Windjammer for a late lunch/snack. As you enter the Windjammer you head to the left. Behind you there is a seating area that has glass sliding doors that they can close if there are a lot of kids from Adventure Ocean there. This area is in "The Hump". If you sit by the window you will have a great view of the ship and lovely afternoon sun. Loved it. On some days we watched the ship leave from there.

Silly stuff but we loved the tuna salad subs; little bits of tomatoes and onion yum. DW loved the salad bar and made to order omlettes. Old fashioned me loved the oatmeal with hot milk ladled in (simple pleasures). They keep the smoked salmon in the back by the deli meats and the soft ice cream machine is over by the desserts at lunch. I guess you can see we like our food.

Other people like to get room service and relax before dinner.

DW liked to sit on her balcony after we had departed to enjoy the ocean air and view. She also like sitting out there on a moonlit night.

I also would try to see every show that is offered. The staging is great. Worth going to see the comedian on first night and his/her late show. You can't get entertainment like that at home. I only walked out on one show because I couldn't understand her (Judy Kolba). I'm sure she was good for some people.

Must go to the 70's party. That's all I'm going to say.

Of course Love and Marriage Show is never predictable with what the people are going to say even if the questions are the same.

The Crew and the Guests' team play volleyball against each other in the pool on the sea day. The Crew is like the Harlem Globetrotters -

they claim to be undefeated. Good for a laugh.

You will not want to come home.

Wow. I copied a whole page of things we need to do/see on our Serenade trip next March. Thank you to everyone who posted. We have been on Jewel in the past, but after reading all of your posts, we have a whole lot more to see!! :D

-Speaking of Deck 6, another great spot to be while coming into port of leaving port is the Helicopter pad at the very front of the ship. Although it is on Deck 6 you get to it by going out on to the promenade on deck 5 and walking all the way froward until you reach a staircase. If you go up those stairs you'll be up on the observation deck/helicopter pad.

Doh! We tried to find the helicopter pad! Never did find it, ended up in a "crew only" place and our 9yo was having conniptions, thinking we were going to get yelled at.... so we gave up. Dang - wish I would have written these instructions down! :o

First I suggest you look at the 5 part video that our fellow CC friend Bill from Wisconsin compiled from his Serenade 2010 B2B;

Here's the first part:

The rest will be on the side of the YouTube screen.

( Bill - Am I finally going to get my commission, I was awake this time )

DW and I watched his 2009 video and he inspired us to do the same trip in 2010....

I never dreamed I would have someone advertising for my videos...Now I have to pay him too???:eek::eek:

Too funny!

BILL "the video guy":D

• 2 weeks later...

I also highly recommend this! It is well worth the $10 fee (a four course lunch is included in the fee).. Sign up early as space is limited. The demonstration is actually held in Chops - then you move over to Portofino for the lunch. There is a waiter named Vladimir who is the best!

Archived