best ship for going with 3 grandchildren ages 11-15

marycarol

My husband and I would like to take 3 of our grandchildren (girls) in June on a 4/6 day cruise. Have been on 4 cruises on our own, but need to know if anyone has any suggestions for going with 1 pre-teen and 2 teens. Thank you for your help.:D

Most ships have youth programs...but if cost is an issue and you are planning to all bunk together - do your research on which ships or particular itinary have family friendly rates. Typically Princess charges same (or very little reduction) for third/forth in a room (that was our experience on a recent family cruise with family incl grandkids) while I have seen some promotions on Holland America which third/forth are dramatically reduced.

RCI is the best for the tween/teen kids age group. Other cruiselines have great kids programs but the tween/teen group is too much like babysitting, so much fewer kids participate. On Royal my kids always loved their program and were upset when they finally aged out at 18.

I hope I am doing this right. Have used Tripadvisor for years, but not the cruise site, hate to admit, don't know what I am doing. I am going to look into RCI. My husband & I thought we would look to take 2 rooms, one for us, & one for the kids. Any thought and any thought on where to go in June from the NY area. We are looking to keep it under $5,000. Thank you for your help.

Sandy,

that sounds real good. Will look into that, just need to check dates.

Great! Bermuda can be a bit expensive, but you would save money driving to a port over flying, and from what I've heard and read, it's a gorgeous island. I know other cruise lines offer Bermuda trips too, like NCL for 6 or 7 days, but you metioned a shorter cruise, and RCI, so this might work!:)

Thought a shorter trip might work a little better with the kids. (probably for all of us). Since it will be their first time cruising will give them an opportunity to see if they really enjoy it. Can't imagine not, but at that age, who knows.

Thought a shorter trip might work a little better with the kids. (probably for all of us). Since it will be their first time cruising will give them an opportunity to see if they really enjoy it. Can't imagine not, but at that age, who knows.

I hear ya. When my husband and I first cruised, on our honeymoon, we did a 5 nighter to see if we would really like it. After that we were hooked! I think that's awesome that you're bringing your grandkids--special memoires.

I am looking forward to it. Hope the kids have as much fun as I am thinking about it. Have 6, three older ones, the ones we are taking now and three that range from 7-10. Hope to take them next year. This is such a helpful site. Thanks so much for your help.

Just let them know your expectations. My oldest is dd14, and we barely saw her on our last cruise. We were actually fine with that (as were my parents), but if you want to have all meals together, or spend time together, let them know. Luckily, the 4 younger ones still like to hang out with us!

Really glad you mentioned eating arrangements. When i think about it , it will probably be the only time we will really have to talk with them (hope for them) and do want to hear everything. Being a grandmother would really like to spend all the time with them (well almost). Just want them to have a memorable time.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

We have had a simular rule. Our som is allowed to go wherever the teen stuff is after dinner but before dinner it is family time unless there is something special the teens are doing then he asks and we usually say yes. He doesnt seem to mund the rule and says he still likes spending time with us

Archived