another odd question

jaxkai

ive been searching around, and i keep seeing these really cool post about being a reposition ship, i think that means its going from one port to another and not back, is there a way to find out which ones are and well all the other questions i should ask and dont know to ask.

i hope this was an ok place to ask this question

Repo cruises occur when a ship is moving from one home port to another. This frequently occurs at change of season (i.e. in late fall, ships from the med may move to the carribbean to continue winter sailings and then move back after the winter to resume their summer itineraries). A good TA can help you find these, or simply look at the ships intineraries or use the search function within the cruise lines advanced search to find these trips. They tend to be longer than average (around 14 days+) so will have a slightly older crowd in most cases:) HTH

You can check any lines cruises and look for one that starts on one side of the ocean and ends on the other. As noted, these are generally in late fall and early spring. They offer several things such as ports in very varied places, i.e. South America and Europe, etc., a larger number of sea days, and usually lower fares.

Repositioning cruises usually only happen in April/May when a ship leaves their Florida ports and moves to either Europe or Alaska. They also reposition in late September when leaving Alaska and move back to the Caribbean for winter. There are also repos in October through December when a ship moves from Europe back to the US for winter cruises. Some of the luxury lines do repo cruises that depart from the US for cruises in Asia or other exotic itineraries.

Cunard ships follow less of a pre-determined pattern (aside from the regular transatlantics that the Queen Mary 2 does much of the year); you can find many itineraries on Cunard ships that resemble other lines' repo itineraries. For example - look at the LA to Fort Lauderdale itinerary that I'll be on in March on the Queen Victoria...

Archived