Swimming on Embarkation Day

SingleFatherofDD

I am extremely sorry to bring this this post up to the front again, but something was on my mind for a few days after reading "reallyitsmema" post. I even asked some of the parents or my DD's about what she mentioned. It seems that some parents will change their children out in the open. I know the are little children and girls look like boys mostly at this age but, when I was little I never remember being changed in public. It could have happened but I don't remember.

The parents I talked to gave examples of when they were at the beach and would change at the beach so the children wouldn't have to have sand on them. I never thought of that. The times I took DD to the beach I just brushed most of the sand off until we got back on the boat or home. I am so confused. Just need some clarification.

Sorry if this is off topic, but I want the best for my DD.

I wouldn't change a child out in the open without covering them up which is why I said off in a corner, wrapped in a towel as a curtain. I know as a single male, traveling with a little girl, it must be difficult for you if there isn't a family restroom. You should have access to your cabin so it should be a non-issue. I was just offering a suggestion that worked for us when my son was little. If you aren't comfortable with trying it, just wait until your cabin is ready so she can change.:)

Bring the bathing suit, put it in your carry on or even your pocket. Wearing it for a 3 hour plane trip might be the craziest thing I have ever read. There is no guarantee the pool will be available pre-sail away. I have seen them closed many times prior to sailing. I have never had a problem on any cruiseline checking in and getting to my room after 12 noon.

I understand that the pool might not be open. Things happen. So I have warned DD about this. She is crossing her fingers that it is open. Our plan arrives around 11:00 so we will head right over to the pier after we get our bags. I miss the time when the would pull your bags and you would see them on the ship. Hopefully, we will be able to get on the ship almost immediately. DD will be to excited to sit still when she sees the ship. Then head up to the Lido to have some lunch and then we will swim until the muster drill. Only if the pool is open. This should make DD happy.

I am extremely sorry to bring this this post up to the front again, but something was on my mind for a few days after reading "reallyitsmema" post. I even asked some of the parents or my DD's about what she mentioned. It seems that some parents will change their children out in the open. I know the are little children and girls look like boys mostly at this age but, when I was little I never remember being changed in public. It could have happened but I don't remember.

The parents I talked to gave examples of when they were at the beach and would change at the beach so the children wouldn't have to have sand on them. I never thought of that. The times I took DD to the beach I just brushed most of the sand off until we got back on the boat or home. I am so confused. Just need some clarification.

Sorry if this is off topic, but I want the best for my DD.

I'm an Early Childhood Educator, and when we take school age kids to water parks in the summer, frequently the lines in the changing rooms are too long so we do as another poster has suggested and make them curtains out of towels. No one sees anything so they still have their privacy, and they can get into clean clothes right away. I don't see a problem with it at all.

I would not change a 5 year old out in the open as in no covering at all. That seems inappropriate to me. I would change my 1 year old son without covering if it was needed, but not if he was 3 or older.

Thanks to all who responded so far. I just wanted to clear that situation up. You all helped. I will probably ask DD what she would like to do. I don't mind walking back to the cabin to have her change. She is old enough to decide what she wants to do. Trying to teach her some independence in some aspects of her life. Its just hard that she doesn't have a female figure constantly in her life. My mom helps as much as she can, but it will be just us two on the cruise.

My dd is 5 and on our last cruise I let her swim on embarkatrion day. She wore her swimsuit under her clothes and I brought a change of clothes in the carry on and she changed in the bathroom. The cabin was also open at 1:30pm so we could have changed her there as well.

On a cruise ship I always took my dd back to the cabin to change. In the situation where you have just boarded and the only option is a bathroom then I would take her into the bathroom to change. I will confess I HATE bathroom floors and my child has learned to stand on her shoes while we change clothes! LOL! Even in a "dressing room" at the beach! Now if we were at the beach and there were no facilities to change in I would do the towel move. Hold up the towel as a cover. Have child slip on sundress. Remove swimsuit and put on underwear. It works great!!

Archived