Items to bring on ship

PATRIOTSRULE

I'm sure that someone will post a list of about 17,000 items that you'll need but the truth of the matter is that you don't need much.

Some folks like to bring a small fine for a bit of background noise. Some folks bring an extension cord as there's only one 120 volt outlet in the cabin and it's not conveniently placed. An extension cord or power strip (one in good condition, please...) will allow you to charge your cell phone, camera batteries and whatever else at the same time.

The ladies like to bring their own hair dryer. The Fantasy Class and a few other vessels don't have hair dryers in every cabin.

For me, less is better. I bring along my MP3 player and a small set of battery powered speakers so we can listen to Jimmy on our balcony. I don't bring a bungee cord, over the door shoe holder thingy or much else.

I will say that not everyone likes the provided shampoo and body wash stuff. Personally, I use bar soap.

The most important things to pack... a good attitude, a smile and the knowledge that for the period of time that you're on that ship you get to be a kid again...

Enjoy!

:)

Travel light, You can find out what is provided for your room from Carnival. Then just go from there, one thing my wife and I usually bring is like a 6 pack of 20oz diet cokes so that we don't us the ones in the room, which Carnival charges for. Have FUN and just one other note: Since you are in charge of the group I think you ought to book a trial cruise for 2011:)

I'm sure that someone will post a list of about 17,000 items that you'll need but the truth of the matter is that you don't need much.

I looked at just such lists prior to our first cruise. One of the first packing lists I saw was literally 6 pages long. Left it all behind and never missed a thing. ESPECIALLY the duct tape. The second night we were on board the photographers were setting up and had about 2 miles of the stuff all over the floors. I lie- I did miss one thing- forgot suntan lotion and when we got off in Cabo I had to spend a small fortune getting myself some. We always have a small flashlight with us, as far as the piles of other things- if you don't bring them you also don't need the over the door shoe holder for all the things that I don't bring. But others have different ideas.

I am looking for a list of items that we will need to bring with us to make life easier on the cruise, and on the excursions. I don't want to overlook something.

You don't say if you're a guy or a gal, so it's hard to be specific.....but, best things to have along are a sense of discovery, a willingness to experience new places, customs and people, and a devil may care attitude......and this is from a NY Giants fan.........

For the record, I am a man and still not over that Superbowl the Giants won a few years ago but having said that, I was just trying to figure out what to bring in our carry on bags I guess. That would be alot of help. How large are the carry on bags that people bring with them?

For the record, I am a man and still not over that Superbowl the Giants won a few years ago but having said that, I was just trying to figure out what to bring in our carry on bags I guess. That would be alot of help. How large are the carry on bags that people bring with them?

Pretty much the same size as a standard airline carry on. Some ports let you carry all of your bags regardless of size...

:)

My carry on is 22", easily fits into airplane overhead, hopes that helps......

As someone who just took their first cruise and got off the ship yesterday, I would say I wish I brought an extension cord and a hair dryer. Also the bungee sounds like a good idea, although I don't know how much I would use it. Don't forget playing cards, if that's your thing. My husband would have brought more than one bathing suit as the line in the shower was not useful, plus it took forever for things to dry (that's where the bungy cord or a clothes line would have been helpful, especially if things were able to dry outside. If you are going on excursions that involve water I suggest bringing a bag that is water proof and water shoes. Sunscreen is a must too!

We had also been told that even formal nights are more on the casual side. Well our experience was the exact opposite. Most people were very well dressed. My husband wished he brought a long sleeve shirt and a tie. While no one was judgemental, it felt a little awkward.

Like others said: Just bringing a positive attitude and going with the flow is the best thing you can do. Have a great time!

After reading these boards I think I'm the minority when it comes to the carry on and don't bring much on the ship with me..my carry on is slightly bigger than a purse and everything else is packed in our regular luggage..

For you carry on definitely make sure you have all of your documents (funpass, passports..etc) money, credit cards, any sort of meds that u may need, and any valuables such as camera, laptop..etc....some people also like to have maybe an extra shirt to change into in case your luggage hasn't arrived by dinner and they want to freshen up and possibly some travel size toiletries unless u are not picky and can use what the cruiseline provide.... If you bring wine, soda or water with u that needs to be carried on too....other than that everything else can probably be left in your checked luggage unless there is something else that you can't be separated from and don't mind carrying around until your room is ready..

I too wish I brought the bungee cord, only because our balcony door would not stay open. And I am very happy I included my little manicure kit, those tiny scissors came in handy a few times. And I don't care what anyone says air freshner is a must.

We sail on Monday and I was just going over our packing list (I have to or I would forget that one important item like passports) and I thought it was waaaaaaay too much. Then I remembered some great advice I read after our first cruise that was so true. Bring half as many clothes and twice as much money. But the one thing that is worth its weight in gold is an Extension Cord / Power Strip.

I personally feel the most imortant thing is a watch. I normally don't wear a watch - I use my cell phone. I got a cheap watch for the cruise and we were sooooo glad that we had it. I set it to ship time and when we were in port - we always knew we were ok with getting back. I just had a HUGE fear of ending up on You Tube as a Peir Runner ;).

We carry two carryons. Hubby has the electronics - camera, MPs etc. and the paperwork and documentation needed. Don't want to check this stuff. And I have the essentials (trial size of any and everything we like) and also a pair of shorts and an extra shirt and a swimsuit for each of us. We wear jeans on board. This way If for some reason your check luggage doesn't make it from port to boat (unfortunately this happens to some) you have everything you need to still have a good cruise. We have met people that checked everything and she had no makeup for formal night and although this certainly didn't ruin her cruise it would have been nice to have makeup for the cruise and dinners. I have found that the ship has bathing suits but not in all sizes... And the clothes are limited selections - not a big huge clothing store to choose from. So my best advice is carry any essentials you don't want to loose (electronics and documention) or do without on you. :) Some of the newer ships have much better stores for essentials than the older ships so I have found there is more you can buy on board. When we started cruising you had to do without until port and then spend your whole time in port looking for what you need instead of having a good time.... This has been a great change to cruising.:D

My basic list of items will include:

1. Penlight/Flashlight for each person
  2. Highlighter (for the Fun Times)
  3. Pens & Post-It Notes
  4. Power Strip/Surge Protector
  5. "Over the Bathroom Door" Shoe Organizer
  6. 5 Gallon-Size Ziplock Bags
  7. Clock (usually use my iPad)

We try and keep it as simple as we can. :D

Three categories for me. Must-haves, nice-to-haves and not needed.

Must-haves are passport, camera, credit card, extra batteries, sunscreen, two bathing suits, water shoes (if going on a water excursion) and the clothes I am wearing on embarkation. I could survive all week aboard with those items if I had to.

Nice-to-haves:

"your brand" of shower soap/shampoo

wine (as allowed per Carnival contract)

IPod

Books

Magazines

Not needed:

Over the door doo-hicky

bungy cord

duct tape

power adaptor

My basic list of items will include:

1. Penlight/Flashlight for each person
  2. Highlighter (for the Fun Times)
  3. Pens & Post-It Notes
  4. Power Strip/Surge Protector
  5. "Over the Bathroom Door" Shoe Organizer
  6. 5 Gallon-Size Ziplock Bags
  7. Clock (usually use my iPad)

We try and keep it as simple as we can. :D

What do you use the 5 Gallon Ziplocks for?

Archived