Cunard...Not very nice...

brigittetom

You had/have a contract with them which they have breached.

I'm no lawyer but are you sure about that?

If they can change the ship that you booked it seems likely that they can change your cabin. I suspect that cabin no's are requests and not binding.

Brigittetom, For your sake I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

Regards, Colin.

When my UK agent told me that she couldn't guarantee that one cabin wouldn't be upgraded and not the other one on our forthcoming trip I was surprised. When she said that my parents, who are in a wheelchair accessible cabin, could be upgraded to a non-accessible cabin I didn't believe her. I rang Cunard to check and was told that there was a possibility that could happen and to make sure that both cabins were marked as do not move.

Unfortunately, the bottomline is that ticking the do not upgrade box is not a foolproof 100% guarantee as witnessed by the OP's complaint.

In the good old days of QE-2 we were offered a number of upgrades. The difference in those days was they rang you (via agent), offered the upgrade and at the same time told you the cabin involved. They should go back to this system to avoid all the problems of this thread. QED.

This has happened to us twice! We usually travel with our 2 teenagers and so book adjacent or opposite cabins. We always tick the no-upgrade box because it is very unlikely that they would upgrade both of us and still have nearby rooms. And again we always book early to make sure that we get the cabins that we want.

The first time we sailed on QM2 our TA sent me a letter to say that my husband and I had been upgraded to Deck 4, but my children were still on deck 8! I was not happy to say the least and couldn't believe that my TA had accepted the upgrade, as she knew our situation. Fortunately Cunard were able to put it right and we got our original cabin back.

The second time my husband and I were offered an upgrade to Princess grill, but leaving my children in Brittania. I can see how that would have upset their other dining companions!! Fortunately it was only 'offered' to us, so we were able to turn it down.

We have since been fortunate enough to leave the children at home and travel on our own. But no more offers of upgrades:( Do you think we have been black balled;)

They upgraded us once to a cabin we did not want, I phoned and explained and it took a week, but I got the original cabin back, so they do it if they want too

Of course they can do what they want....they must think that we are all thick! lol

As Malcolm posted....they can move mountains if they so wish!

Best

Judy

You had/have a contract with them which they have breached. I think you have them by the bits. Maybe you have to put their feet to the fire and threaten legal action. Glad to hear you aren't rolling over.

The brochure states that Cunard retains the right (like it or not) to upgrade passengers to a superior grade of accommodations, as does the passage contract, THUS if they were to initiate "legal action" they would lose and would likely be banned from future cruises on Cunard.

The brochure states that Cunard retains the right (like it or not) to upgrade passengers to a superior grade of accommodations, as does the passage contract, THUS if they were to initiate "legal action" they would lose and would likely be banned from future cruises on Cunard.

cunards terms & condition's ( The Contract ) has 73 clauses, & i can not find your quote! will you be so kind & tell me what is the number of the clause that you are referring to.

I am pretty sure that Cunard and its lawers have the thing sewn up tight as you like.
If it's a deliberate act to get people to check the "no ugrade" box and upgrade them anyway, perhaps. :rolleyes:

If it's just a monumental screwup, perhaps not.

If it's a deliberate act to get people to check the "no ugrade" box and upgrade them anyway, perhaps. :rolleyes:

If it's just a monumental screwup, perhaps not.

But then why be given a choice?

We have previously ticked no upgrade and that was the outcome.

We have ticked the box for our next trip - we will see ;)

I found myself in a similar situation to yours--upgraded from a sheltered lower-deck to an open balcony on deck 11. I found out about it only when I got on board; I went to the purser's desk to complain and was next to a couple who were furious that they did not get an upgrade--after listening to them and the tough time they were giving the desk person, I decided to go with the flow and keep the new cabin they assigned to me.

There were good reasons for my original selection--it was my first cruise and I was concerned about seasickness so I intentionally booked an "inferior" grade. For me, it all turned out okay--I ended up loving the the upper deck and glass-railed balcony (with an unobstructed view of the ocean). You are entitled to the cabin you contracted for and Cunard really has no excuse not to give it to you. However, if you find you cannot get this resolved, please don't let it ruin your cruise. Go with an open attitude and look for the positive aspects of any cabin you get. I liked my deck 11 cabin so much I paid the extra cost to book it again on my next QM2 crossing. Hopefully, you will have an equally good time--either in your original cabin (or one like it) or in whatever cabin you are "upgraded to"--good luck.

Thank you so much everyone. I truly appreciate your support.

Fly fan, you are absolutely correct. It would be foolish to let it affect my cruise.....but this is difinately affecting my anticipation of the cruise.

I called Cunard this morning to see if they had heard from UK. No, not yet. I did get to ask the obvious question. Why can't you just give us our old cabin back and upgrade those people to deck 11. Afterall, we've had that cabin booked for 11 months, they've only had it for one week.

The answer......."THEY MIGHT NOT WANT TO MOVE TO DECK 11". I'm not sure what kept me from losing it at that point but that would be a waste of time with that mentality. I'll be starting my true campaign on Monday. I have lots of time and patience. :D

The answer......."THEY MIGHT NOT WANT TO MOVE TO DECK 11". I'm not sure what kept me from losing it at that point but that would be a waste of time with that mentality. I'll be starting my true campaign on Monday. I have lots of time and patience. :D

Unbelievable!

Glad you're still smiling. Good luck to you on Monday!

Thank you so much everyone. I truly appreciate your support.

Fly fan, you are absolutely correct. It would be foolish to let it affect my cruise.....but this is difinately affecting my anticipation of the cruise.

I called Cunard this morning to see if they had heard from UK. No, not yet. I did get to ask the obvious question. Why can't you just give us our old cabin back and upgrade those people to deck 11. Afterall, we've had that cabin booked for 11 months, they've only had it for one week.

Oh dear, well i can understand that they might want to move to deck 11, but they could at least ask them, they might just want to that

:eek:

This is now sounding like a Monty Python skit.

I can picture John Cleese saying that line in his best officious and patronizing manner.

I hope you make a point of repeating it when you start your campaign. :D

Oh dear, well i can understand that they might not want to move to deck 11, but they could at least ask them, they might just want to that

I assume the above correction is appropriate?

If so, then unless they have marked their booking "do not upgrade" then why ask them?

There must also be other cabins near to the original who are not so marked if theirs is, so a solution is still both available and obvious.

WD

:eek:

I hope you make a point of repeating it when you start your campaign. :D

I have absolutely every intention of doing so. :D

Rob....The point is.....No one asked us if we wanted to be moved and we specifically asked not to be moved.

In all fairness, if they are free to shuffle us around this close to the trip, we could have booked a guarentee and saved some money. :)

I'm sorry for the OP's disappointment - However there are other sides to a similar story:

My boss and her husband were booked into as carefully-selected Q4 Penthouse for the QM2 cruise which departed Brooklyn for the Caribbean this past Saturday (I don't know how many times she obsessed over the deckplans asking me if it was good or bad to be aft or amidship, near the elevators, etc)

But when I looked at my e-mail from her this am, I was astonished to learn that they were gleefully enjoying a last-minute upgrade to Q2 #10.003 - the Queen Elizabeth Suite!

:)

Yes, Now that's what I consider an upgrade. I'd be gleeful as well. :)

I talked to Cunard earlier and they are still waiting for a reply from UK but said that it was noted that we would like our original cabin. I was also told that they do not call regarding upgrades or cabin changes, they just do it because most people are grateful and don't need to be notified.

I see brigittetom's side here. I suspect from Q4 it's hard to get upgraded to a less desirable cabin. From a less lofty point there are more likely to be tradeoffs in cabin location, sheltered vs unsheltered and other things more likely to make an upgrade undsirable. I think starting with a Q4 I'd never say "no upgrade".

Roy

Archived