WiFi on Celebrity ships on in Caribbean ports?

shifty

Wi Fi is available on the ship at port and at sea for a charge of $0.65 per minute with discounts for advance purchases of blocks of minutes such as 90 minutes for $50.

On the newer S class ships the wifi service is available throughout the ship. On the older M and C class ships it is only available in certain hot spots which include most lounges and public areas. Some cabins close to these areas might also get coverage. The internet connection through the ship's wifi is usually very slow compared to the speed we've gotten used to as everything consolidates into a satellite connection serving the entire ship. So internet connection speed will depend on both the quality of the satellite connection and the amount users trying to access the connection at the same time.

I haven't run into free wifi at any of the ports but there may be some internet cafes in the ports where you could get service at a lower charge than on the ship, and it is possible that some businesses there might offer free wifi.

Depending on your cell carrier, there is broadband available. I have a TMobile datastick and was able to get reception in San Juan, St. Croix, St. Kitts (roaming), Grenada (roaming) and had signal in Tobago but couldn't connect. TMobile doesn't seem to have an international plan, but the time I was on in San Juan was 'free', and their charge for roaming was $15/MB data, and the time I was on in the other ports cost me less than $19. EM

All the ports I have visited have places where there is free wifi.

Usually McDonalds or any of the chains such as KFC etc have free wifi.

Also there are hotspots in most of the port areas, just ask the waiters

or your steward -the staff usually know where all the best free spots are.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am bringing my Kindle, and have 3 new books to download the day we are in st martin. Is this manageable with the ship internet system? Should I be looking for an internet source in port?

I have no idea how long it might take to download a book. At home, it seems instantaneous.

I am bringing my Kindle, and have 3 new books to download the day we are in st martin. Is this manageable with the ship internet system? Should I be looking for an internet source in port?

I have no idea how long it might take to download a book. At home, it seems instantaneous.

Just curious: If you "have three new books to download" then why don't you donload them before you cruise so they'll be available for sure?

I took my iPad on a recent Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse. As we are captains club members, we got some free Internet minutes. the iPad worked fantastically well on board. I even managed to Skype home. In San Juan we used the free internet in Starbucks and skyped home from there.

Just curious: If you "have three new books to download" then why don't you donload them before you cruise so they'll be available for sure?

They're not available to download until Feb 22. I could wait until I get home, but, these are books I want to read as soon as they are available. Like the old days when you lined up outside the store for the new release - only different.;)

I am interested in iPad wifi connection off the ship. Easy to carry iPad.. Much easier than computer. Also blackberry coverage???

I used my blackberry in San Juan and the US Virgin Islands for email with no problem. Occasionally get online in other countries but it is spotty. I have t-mobile. If you have another carrier you may have different results.

They're not available to download until Feb 22. I could wait until I get home, but, these are books I want to read as soon as they are available. Like the old days when you lined up outside the store for the new release - only different.;)

Oh - that makes complete sense - I hadn't though of a future release date.

Hopefully it will all work and just download fine.

Archived